Speed problem...

TruthInRuin

Limp Gawd
Today, I just had comcast cable installed. I get 1.7mbps down 240kbps up (according to varying online connection tests)

There are 3 computer hooked up to one connection on a linksys router. 1 computer (my moms) uses almost no bandwidth, a little web surfing that it. On the other hand the other 2 computers (mine and my bro's) take up alot of bandwidth, playing games, downloading mp3's and videos....

So earlier my bro and I wanted to go play a game, we get to the server... and were pinging 10000+!!! WHAT? Sounds crazy right? Well... if I leave, or he leaves, the pings level out to 93 or so... on both computers. I dont get whats happening here, both computers can be soaking up speed... but ping 93, then in the same server they get 10000? Help! :confused:

Are the 3 computers behind a router and using RFC1918 addresses, or are all three just connected to a hub or switch, and using public IPs? (i.e., IPs that don't begin with 10, 192, or 172)?

God damn im horrible at this stuff. Well There all behind a router thats for sure, I know its not a hub.

Hate to be a nit pick but there is another range that routable and there are plublic addresses that start with 172 and 192 but as I said I'm just nit picking :D

I'd assume he means Personal router / NAT box etc etc

Originally posted by bigstusexy
Hate to be a nit pick but there is another range that routable and there are plublic addresses that start with 172 and 192 but as I said I'm just nit picking :D

I'd assume he means Personal router / NAT box etc etc

I know. I just didn't feel like making it more complicated than it already was for him. :) On a cable modem, none of those addresses would be used, at least not here in the US. IANA hasn't delegated any of that space to any of the cableco's.

Originally posted by TruthInRuin
God damn im horrible at this stuff. Well There all behind a router thats for sure, I know its not a hub.

In that case, both your computers are using the same external IP -- when you connect to the server, it sees two computers with the same IP address. It's entirely possible that either:

1) The game networking protocol isn't written well enough to handle this gracefully, or

2) Your router doesn't maintain state (i.e., keep the connections separate) well enough to allow this to work properly,

or

3) Your gaming experience will be fine, and it's just the ping functionality of the gaming code that's broken by the appearance of two computers with the same IP.

If you can play on both with no lag problems, I wouldn't worry about it.

The only way around it would be to put both computers on a switch, connect the switch directly to the cable modem, and allow both machines to have a separate public IP. But make very sure both have a good antivirus program and a good firewall installed and turned on before doing that.

Thats what i was thinking, the game is old (unreal gold) but theres a mod on the server that wont let you disconnect, then reconnect with in a certain amount of time, not sure what its for.. but, my bro went into the server, and I hadnt been in the server the whole time the game was running, and it said i couldnt join cause enough time hasdnt passed form last join request... in ut2k3... i dont see any problems.

Ok, I have a hub. Could I use this for all 3 computers? I have pc-cillin 2002.. would that, along with the (i know :rolleyes: ) windows xp firewall be sufficeint?

Thats what i was thinking, the game is old (unreal gold) but theres a mod on the server that wont let you disconnect, then reconnect with in a certain amount of time, not sure what its for.. but, my bro went into the server, and I hadnt been in the server the whole time the game was running, and it said i couldnt join cause enough time hasdnt passed form last join request... in ut2k3... i dont see any problems.

Ah. That code's your problem then.

Ok, I have a hub. Could I use this for all 3 computers? I have pc-cillin 2002.. would that, along with the (i know :rolleyes: ) windows xp firewall be sufficeint?

Yes, you could connect all three computers to the hub, and the hub to your cable modem. Whether the antivirus software and XP firewall will be sufficient is a question that really depends on how you configure and maintain them. Even the world's best firewall is worthless if it's not set up and used properly.

As for the antivirus, if you've got the most recent updates for the virus definitions (and the update's from this month), you should be good there.

In the end, it's a security decision, and a comfort issue for you. It's like walking into a room full of people with the plague. You might not get sick if you take reasonable precautions, but ultimately, the issue is whether or not you feel safe doing it, and are willing to accept and deal with the consequences.

Well, before i moved here, and was told by msn i NEEDED a router, I was using a hub through my other cable ISP. And actually one computer had an old version of norton. I guess the risks arent that great, as long as i keep everything updated.

Thanks for all the help but theres one more question :D How would i configure each computer while using the Hub?

Well, before i moved here, and was told by msn i NEEDED a router, I was using a hub through my other cable ISP. And actually one computer had an old version of norton. I guess the risks arent that great, as long as i keep everything updated.

Thanks for all the help but theres one more question :D How would i configure each computer while using the Hub?

Just set them to get all their networking information via DHCP.

Kinda remembered one computer Is in my bro's room. So I cant set it up now.

I remember having a problem with the hub though. The MSN support center said I couldnt use a hub unless I had specifically assigned IP adresses... then he went on about i have to pay additional charges per month, or something to that extent for additional IP's. Also, all the connections already are assigned by DHCP so, would all I have to do it connect everything to the hub and be set?

Also, all the connections already are assigned by DHCP so, would all I have to do it connect everything to the hub and be set?

no.

the reason for the router is so you can use NAT/PAT and all that good stuff.

if you plug all your computers into a hub, you'll be asking your ISP for additional addresses, thus the additional charges.

stick with the router.

have a nice day

Well, Last time I was on a hub, I couldnt get it to work by myself. So I took it over to my neighbors house and he set an IP for me, like he just pulled one out of his head. Can any one here do that for me?

Back