Speaker and Headphone Rigs Picture Thread

pt86.jpg

Pro Wire Management.

Wow I wish I got something good to show but oh well. I recently picked up a DT 880 600ohm for just $120 used from a friend. I have no idea how to drive it so I'm thinking about selling it lol.
34xi3yu.jpg

Hell no! Keep that sucker!

I'm sure someone smarter than me will be in shortly with an answer. Best I can offer is the head-fi classifieds.

http://www.head-fi.org/f/6551/amplification-for-sale-trade

Wow I wish I got something good to show but oh well. I recently picked up a DT 880 600ohm for just $120 used from a friend. I have no idea how to drive it so I'm thinking about selling it lol.

Personally, if you're on a budget, I'd pick up a Schiit Vali or alternately their Magni. Either one will work just fine as an amp for the 880's and it's hard to do better than either one for that amount of money.

But don't sell the 880's. Those 880 Premiums are kind of amazing headphones and you got them for a steal of a price. Just get an amp when you can and enjoy.

Here's my "music room" after some major changes...[snip]

What a fun looking room! How high is the ceiling? We have those same Ikea black square tables haha... on either side of our bed now but they have served many purposes over the years. :)

...just a kind of cool pic I took of my Onkyo TX-8050 and Toshiba HD-A2 (which makes a very nice CD player with it's excellent pre-amp section coupled with Wolfson WM8740 DAC)...

IMG_0918-smaller-2_zps4a79fd6d.jpg

Thanks... I have an A30 also but it's not as nice sounding or looking. I've used the crap out of this player for years and hope it's got some good time left in it. :)

took this shot of my SX-3600 today kinda like it (the photo...love my minty SX-3600 to be clear)

blah blah FiiO E07K/E09K > SX-3600 > NHT SuperZero's + Polk PSW10 sub (for now)

Here's my new laptop audio rig: Swan M50W 2.1. I'm building a new desk, which you can see in the pic. I'm using a big hardwood door over a pair of metal saw horses. This Swan system is really sweet. I was listening to it while hooked up to my iPhone, earlier today. Amazing sound; a real step up from the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 I returned.

Swan M50W is the biz. I've had them since release, brilliant set of speakers. You can probably piece together a better sounding bookshelf setup for the money, but for so called "computer speakers" the M50W is about as good as it gets.

that swan looks :cool::cool:

I bet it sounds even better. :eek:

Swan M50W is the biz. I've had them since release, brilliant set of speakers. You can probably piece together a better sounding bookshelf setup for the money, but for so called "computer speakers" the M50W is about as good as it gets.
Thanks! I'm super impressed with them. I've never owned Swan speakers before, but am a total convert. :)

Same story here. I've had the Klipsch Promedia's as well and the Swans is a major step up.

I actually had the KRK Rokit RP6G2's before the Swans...and well...let's just say I miss them...a lot.

Sadly, I just could not deal w/ their size. They were easily 4x the size of the Swans, lol. The Swans are perfect casual listening. If I'm going to really do some music loving, I'll put on my headphones. The Swans are just too convenient. Small, Sub that doubles as an ottoman, volume/mute pod, etc.

FWIW, I removed the volume pod cover and ripped those damn LED's out so I no longer have that damn blue/red glow on my desk. :D

^^^^Oh that Schiit looks nice. How are you liking it so far?? I'm currently using a STX as my main headphone amp. Looking to upgrade.

Got rid of my old speakers and decided to take the plunge to the A5+
It's amazing so far and the bass is enough for me so no need for a sub :cool:

2n1x8hd.jpg

^^^^Oh that Schiit looks nice. How are you liking it so far?? I'm currently using a STX as my main headphone amp. Looking to upgrade.

Unbelievable so far. The Vali/Modi is a real game changer for me. There's just so much more to music now. The presence of the new cans is likewise fantastic. Flac and high bitrate stuff doesn't just sound 'better', it sounds larger. I've heard subtleties in tracks that I already thought I'd mastered. (Daft Punk - Digital Love is unbelievable now)

New to the headphone game.. Where the hell do I even start? DAC/headphones/etc...? Will the RIVBE have nice enough onboard audio?

New to the headphone game.. Where the hell do I even start? DAC/headphones/etc...? Will the RIVBE have nice enough onboard audio?

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

http://www.head-fi.org/a/2013-head-fi-winter-gift-guide-desktop-amps-dacs

Great reads. I settled on a Schiit stack simply because it's the "best" setup in the price range and the company's ethos is very admirable. I wanted to try tube audio and the Vali has outstanding reviews by everyone.

How much you want to spend pretty much sums it up. Few other things, like how important music vs gaming is to you. You a bass head? Your wife going to have a fit if she hears your music?

How much you want to spend pretty much sums it up. Few other things, like how important music vs gaming is to you. You a bass head? Your wife going to have a fit if she hears your music?

Yup. You need to figure out what your priorities are first, and then your budget.

Thanks for the responses guys.. Quite honestly this stuff looks so beautiful it makes me want to listen to music on them...

Definitely not going to be listening to music on them though.. I have my stereo for that... So, primarily gaming, if not all gaming.. Do I still need a DAC if gaming? Also, will the Rampage IV Black Edition have good enough sound?
'SupremeFX Formula [2013] with WIMA and ELNA capacitors, OpAmp headphone amplifier and 120dB SNR.'

Is what I've found for audio on it so far...

Slowly rebuilding my headphone setup. Years ago, I had tons of great stuff, which was over the years reduced to a single D2000 and a (now dead) Zero DAC.

Next week, I've got a Schiit Lyr coming, and in the coming months I'll work on an Uber Biforst and a set of HE-500's.

Did you get that dead DAC looked at? I've brought so many 'dead' electronics back to life by tearing them apart, even soldered on some new caps to a dell card and got my work server up and running in a few hours. It's amazing what a little probing can do.

I run my HE-400's off an Asgard 2 as well! Recently upgraded from a Modi to Bifrost Uber for my DAC :D

Does that little Dayton amp you have sitting on top of that sub work really well? I've considered it a few times as the core of a very basic bookshelf system :)

Did you get that dead DAC looked at? I've brought so many 'dead' electronics back to life by tearing them apart, even soldered on some new caps to a dell card and got my work server up and running in a few hours. It's amazing what a little probing can do.

Nope. I only paid $90 for it, and its a good excuse to upgrade.

Thanks for the responses guys.. Quite honestly this stuff looks so beautiful it makes me want to listen to music on them...

Definitely not going to be listening to music on them though.. I have my stereo for that... So, primarily gaming, if not all gaming.. Do I still need a DAC if gaming? Also, will the Rampage IV Black Edition have good enough sound?
'SupremeFX Formula [2013] with WIMA and ELNA capacitors, OpAmp headphone amplifier and 120dB SNR.'

Is what I've found for audio on it so far...

That isn't too bad really. Wouldn't be as good as a DAC or a good sound card, but not bad. I would try it with some good headphones and see what you think. Snag some HD595 used and go from there.

I run my HE-400's off an Asgard 2 as well! Recently upgraded from a Modi to Bifrost Uber for my DAC :D

Does that little Dayton amp you have sitting on top of that sub work really well? I've considered it a few times as the core of a very basic bookshelf system :)

I just got my HE-400's yesterday and am loving them!

I think the Dayton amp works quite well. I use the Asgard 2 as a preamp for it, and it drives my CB-20's to fairly high volumes. If you need more you can always run the Dayton as a monoblock and get a second one.

You would probably have a hard time beating the Dayton's quality for the price. They are usually around $150, and sometimes less.

Emotiva XDA-2 and UPA-200. Incredible build quality and sounds amazing.

Even the remote screams quality. It's machined aluminum.

Emotiva XDA-2 and UPA-200. Incredible build quality and sounds amazing.

Even the remote screams quality. It's machined aluminum.

I've been ogling the Emotiva XPA-200 to replace my Dayton APA150 for quite some time. I am completely satisfied by the Dayton in terms of quality, but the Emotiva would allow for a balanced system in the future if I ever get a new DAC and preamp.

And +1 for Emotiva cables! I don't buy into the whole "$$$ cables == More better" thing. Emotiva's cables aren't overly pricey, they look nice, and they seem to have excellent build quality. I get 'em mainly for their looks despite being nearly invisible in the rat's nest of cables underneath my desk.

^Really nice Tyler-Durden. That remote is slick.

Thanks! :)
I've been ogling the Emotiva XPA-200 to replace my Dayton APA150 for quite some time. I am completely satisfied by the Dayton in terms of quality, but the Emotiva would allow for a balanced system in the future if I ever get a new DAC and preamp.

And +1 for Emotiva cables! I don't buy into the whole "$$$ cables == More better" thing. Emotiva's cables aren't overly pricey, they look nice, and they seem to have excellent build quality. I get 'em mainly for their looks despite being nearly invisible in the rat's nest of cables underneath my desk.
This is my first foray into audio separates; always had receivers in previous audio set ups. I'm really loving the sound. The 5 year Emotiva warranty is a very nice bonus, too.

As for cables, I bought 2 sets of nice Monoprice cables for the sub and 2 more for the speakers. Spent about $70 in total. I usually go really cheap on cables, but figured my new components deserved better. No way was I going to drop a couple hundred on cables, but I wanted something better than Radio Shack.

Back