SPDIF/IEC958 - Quick Question

movax

2[H]4U
Herrrro.

Got a quick question for you guys. Currently, I've got a Chaintech AV-710 running under Linux optical out'ing (Toslink) to my Pioneer receiver.

I just got my new C2D parts in (YES!), and I'm just wanting to make sure...I shouldn't notice a difference between SPDIF out from the Chaintech compared to SPDIF out from the mobo (Gigabyte DS3), correct? IIRC, the 710 had a weird sampling format (S32_LE), but other than that, since I never went through the Wolfson DACs on the card, I should see no difference?

Second question that leads into is...anyone know how Linux kernel module support is for audio when it comes to Intel's ICHs? Intel is usually pretty good about their drivers (I couldn't care less about them being binary drivers), so hopefully there won't be a problem with the ICH..8 I believe under ALSA.

In theory you shouldn't notice any difference. The Unit your connecting the SPDIF to does all the work. As for the Linux Question, I will leave that to another...

Alrighty, good to know. I figure I can always fall back to the 710 if the drivers are weird, but less stuff inside case, the better.

Well, my DS3 lamed it up, so replacing it with a P5N32....and I've heard bad things about its onboard audio.

I think I'm just going to put my AV-710 back in there. I really wish I had backed up my damned asound.conf (hell, the whole /etc directory).

I did have sound working decently from the HDA Intel, but some of the FLAC files were crackling so, dunno. The real fight is getting Amarok to work with xine, that's a hate-hate relationship right there.

Back