Source Engine Stutter?

It seems the only people that will ever be able to fix this is valve themsleves.

Everyone should post support tickets.

There seems to be some rough correlation between the level of graphical detail, and the frequency and severity of the stutters.

I reinstalled Half Life 2 to refresh my memory. I still get stutters occasionally, but much less often and to a much less significant degree vs. Black Mesa.

None of Valve's proposed fixes (de-fragging game cache files, updating drivers for frickin' everything, yada yada) affect the problem.

I also noticed that HL2 isn't nearly as pretty as Black Mesa. Lots of 3D objects make do with fewer polygons, the textures are less detailed, etc.

I don't see Valve fixing this, unless they plan to re-use Source for upcoming games. I have no idea what they have in the works.

Just out of curiosity, does this stutter still occur for you after you have done a clean install of windows etc? (if you have done one of course)

Yes, in fact the machine itself is "clean," being fairly new, and I haven't used it all that much. I did a clean reinstall/re-download of Steam too, instead of transferring my existing Steam installation (which had crept up to over 30 GB...!).

But I'm not going to reinstall Windows 7 just to see whether that fixes the stutter. What I might do is, give Windows 8 a try. I have the RTM version and a key, so I could dual-boot 7 and 8 on the same machine to see whether the stuttering still happens there. That's assuming all my hardware works under Windows 8. Maybe a project for the weekend.

please do and report back ^

If [H] can't find the cause of this issue, we're all doomed. It's really starting to piss me off, don't want to play any source game because of this.

Same stuttering on Windows 8, I'm afraid. I don't believe this is an OS-related problem, and I suspect you'd get the same behavior if you were to play in OS X.

I did get Windows 8 installed last night. It was a pleasant surprise, requiring only about 20 minutes of install time and one reboot.

I played Half-Life 2 briefly under Windows 8, and I'm sorry to say there was still stuttering. There's definitely something wrong with the Source engine. The problem appears to get worse when more resources are being used, e.g. Black Mesa vs. original Half-Life 2.

Source engine games all have inherent problems with this somewhere along the line. Not too long ago TF2 was having this same issue.. but Valve fixed it.

Source 2007 SDK I have had issues with FPS/stuttering with many titles. Black Mesa Source, No More Room In Hell, Pirates Vikings & Knights 2.. they all have their own issues with it.

Valve made strides in the right direction to get these things under control with their multicore rendering option, which does help quite a bit in TF2 & other games that support it... but the question is.. will we ever see it in these mods? Probably not.

I was playing a bit of DoD:S again recently, after a weeks-long hiatus. I got through two or three sessions without a single stutter. I almost allowed myself to think that one of the recent updates via Steam had perhaps fixed the issue...

...then it started happening again. No such luck. :p

I think I need a new online FPS.

As always - I've been victimized by stutter for years. MSI Afterburner OSD fixes pretty much all of it.

For those having stuttering every time there's a sound effect, I've found a solution for me.
Just go into the console and set

snd_noextraupdate 1

No guaranteeing it works for you, but it did for me so it's worth a shot!
Cheers

Back