Sound absortion?

What have yall used for sound absortion? I know dynamat is what i used in my car, but i want something for my pc. I didnt wanna post in the other thread, seemed a tad off topic :rolleyes:

I don't have sound absorbtion, but, would just your normal thin foam that you can buy at a craft store work?

Dynamat is made for computers also. If you're using a regular tower case, just use dynamat

I used the cheap Dynamat knock-off stuff that Spire makes for a PC I built my brother. Seemed to work pretty good. You get almost enough for an entire case for $8.99 at www.svc.com

I used the packing foam that came in my motherboard box. :D It worked wonders to quiet my SATA 10k drives down!

Dont you dare use undercoating.............you'll regret it. :D use matting

Never tried this but don't laugh too hard. Couldn't you get some egg crate material and basically glue it to the sides of your case where you need it? This is what the typical garage bands use to keep the neighbors off theirs backs. There is this stuff I saw on TV, that you can spray on any material and it makes if fully fire retardant. I can't remember what it was called and I tried looking for it in www.google.com with no success. This would be the cheaper route to go I'm sure, just don't know it it's the safest.

Egg crates? No way dude...
First of all, they not only absorb little or no sound at all, they're also ugly, dusty and stinky too...
Their only purpose when used is to prevent sound waves from bouncing back from the wall...no doubt its cheap...but in no way is it a solution to your PC silencing projects...
I'd suggest first of all KEEP YOUR CASE COVER ON. I guess that's the first and foremost way of beating the noise...another way is not to make so many holes, ie. blowholes in your case. Sounds escapes from any little gap it passes thru...Also you can try lowering the speeds of your case fans but messing around with the voltage pots...only if your PSU and mobo supports it...

I've been looking into this myself recently. The cheapest stuff I can find (that actually works) is made by second skin audio. They have a special right now where you can get 20sq ft for $45 plus shipping: http://www.secondskinaudio.com/specialpricing.html

That should be enough for one layer on three mid-tower cases or multiple layers on one case.

There's a bunch of others out there, just search some car audio forums.

Moses said:
Egg crates? No way dude...
First of all, they not only absorb little or no sound at all, they're also ugly, dusty and stinky too...
Their only purpose when used is to prevent sound waves from bouncing back from the wall...no doubt its cheap...but in no way is it a solution to your PC silencing projects...
I'd suggest first of all KEEP YOUR CASE COVER ON. I guess that's the first and foremost way of beating the noise...another way is not to make so many holes, ie. blowholes in your case. Sounds escapes from any little gap it passes thru...Also you can try lowering the speeds of your case fans but messing around with the voltage pots...only if your PSU and mobo supports it...
well I used something along with it... and no - they are not stinky, nor ugly or dusty (I have no windows and NO intake or even exhaust fans (except for the PSU) and the case is pretty much sealed so there's no dust coming in...

You realize it's probably cheaper and more effective to just remove fans from your case right?

Big foams, egg crates, dynamat, etc look bad or weigh the case down. Do yourself a favor and get decent quiet fans.

Back