Sony Z3 Compact - Horrible support

Mchart

Supreme [H]ardness
I need to quick vent somewhere about Sony, so here it goes.

Picked up a Z3C about a month and half ago. I really like the phone. It's the right size, it's powerful, and seemed to be built then most other Android hardware.

Well, about a month in and the rear glass adhesive on one side has begun to fail. The rear glass is just lifting up. Sony, like many other manufacturers, has a pretty crap standard warranty. They don't do advanced RMA. Normally this isn't a big deal for other consumer electronics. BUT THIS IS A PHONE. I can't go without my phone for two months while I wait for a replacement.

Sony does offer their advanced protection program though so I paid them the $70 for the advanced warranty. This advanced warranty is supposed to give you things like advanced RMA, 1 accidental damage replacement, etc. Not a bad deal for $70 really.

Well, after more then a week of finally dealing with the hassle that is support, and providing them my proof of purchase (I bought the phone from the Sony US store BTW) Sony finally generates me a ticket number and says they are sending me a replacement phone.

A week passes and I've received nothing. No phone, no calls, no email. I call them up. Apparently my Xperia Z3 Compact IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED according to the agent. I shit you not, a phone that is being sold by the Sony Store as a new flagship phone that only came out in November is NOT supported.

Now, to Sony's credit they are apparently mailing me a check in 5-6 weeks for $320.

Still, this leaves me pissed off as a customer. A few points -

A.) If you know you can't support the phone through the advanced warranty program; WHY ARE YOU SELLING PEOPLE THE PLAN?

B.) $320? I'm already out the $70 for buying the advanced warranty program anyways. This means I'm only getting $250. When I signed up for the advanced warranty program it entailed at least ONE accidental damage replacement. A Z3 Compact through the Sony Store costs $460.

C.) My fucking phone is still broke.

So on one hand I can't complain too much because I made an investment of $70 to receive $250 in 5 weeks. On the other hand, $250 is NOT enough money for an equivalent in specs replacement phone, and my fucking phone is still broke.

It's shit like this that drives people back to buying Apple products, and trust me I hate using iOS but at least I know I can get a replacement phone without dealing with a clusterfuck like this.

But, it's worth mentioning to anyone that owns a Z3 Compact; Stick it to Sony. Everyone who owns a Z3 Compact should use the advanced warranty and force Sony to send $320 checks to everyone for not providing proper warranty support for the phone.

My thought is that this was a calculated decision by Sony to not support the Z3C in the US through the advanced warranty program. It's likely cheaper in the long run for them to just hand out a bunch of checks in the small chance that the small number of Z3C owners use the advanced warranty, as it would be more expensive to actually hold replacement stock on hand.

Last edited:
Back