Sony, Xbox, and Nintendo Won't Participate in E3 2023

erek

[H]F Junkie
Hmm 🤔 🧐 🤨 weak

“As we spent much of 2022 refining how E3 2023 would take shape, reflecting on the feedback we solicited, we did not send a single contract to an exhibitor until the start of this month. We have received a tremendous amount of interest and verbal commitments from many of the biggest companies in the industry, and when we are ready to announce the exhibitors we are confident it will be a lineup that will make the trip to Los Angeles well worth it for the industry and consumers alike.”

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/304260/sony-xbox-and-nintendo-wont-participate-in-e3-2023-gaming-show

E3 has been dead to me since they made it a business convention. Used to be my dream growing up to attend but now? Who cares. Most of the stuff there gets announced before hand, and since most of the major developers now live under the umbrellas of the Big 3, what's there to follow anymore in regards to e3? Sounds like the last nail in the coffin.

E3 has been dead to me since they made it a business convention. Used to be my dream growing up to attend but now? Who cares. Most of the stuff there gets announced before hand, and since most of the major developers now live under the umbrellas of the Big 3, what's there to follow anymore in regards to e3? Sounds like the last nail in the coffin.
That'd be a long time ago, since I remember it being limited to business and the press until 2017.

I've been to one E3 (2011), and it was some of what you'd hope for, but not everything. Getting to try new consoles (at the time, the PS Vita and Wii U) months before they ship? Great. Having to wait in queues, or using very rough software? Not so much. The problem, of course, is that there won't be new hardware every year, and the games aren't always worth playing.

That'd be a long time ago, since I remember it being limited to business and the press until 2017.

I've been to one E3 (2011), and it was some of what you'd hope for, but not everything. Getting to try new consoles (at the time, the PS Vita and Wii U) months before they ship? Great. Having to wait in queues, or using very rough software? Not so much. The problem, of course, is that there won't be new hardware every year, and the games aren't always worth playing.

Do they still have the booth babes attend?

What about the eGrills and Booth Babes?

Peasants out!

But seriously the last time in-person conventions were relevant was the 90s, when we had no internet. Last time I was to one was probably around 2001. And I stopped buying printed magazines in 2002.

Peasants out!

But seriously the last time in-person conventions were relevant was the 90s, when we had no internet. Last time I was to one was probably around 2001. And I stopped buying printed magazines in 2002.
Yea once we found out instantly when something was coming out; waiting for a gamer mag to show up on the shelf of in the mailbox and this edition having e3 coverage in it, felt like watching the grandparents reading the obituaries in comparison.

They all have their own events now, so attending e3 is pointless

Yea once we found out instantly when something was coming out; waiting for a gamer mag to show up on the shelf of in the mailbox and this edition having e3 coverage in it, felt like watching the grandparents reading the obituaries in comparison.

I want Nintendo Power, Gameshark (edit: Game Genie's NOT gamesharks!), and old school cheat codes back.

Its probably cheaper and easier for Sony/MS/Nintendo to plan and produce a video stream, than it is to plan and execute an E3 presence.

Its probably cheaper and easier for Sony/MS/Nintendo to plan and produce a video stream, than it is to plan and execute an E3 presence.
And who are those three needing to impress? They don't need to pay to go to somebody else's event, their fanbase is almost rabid in its consumption of media, rumors, and press releases and each owns, operates, or is partnered with their own media presentation platform. They could more than happily hold a safe and contained, streamed live event on their schedule from the location of their choosing and get more relevant information out with higher retention because the audience isn't being bombarded with news and information from 50 other event participants over a weekend.
E3 needs the likes of them, they do not need E3.

What’s different about game genie and GameShark
The GameShark was a more powerful device made by Mad Catz that allowed you to look at memory addresses to find and make your own codes. The Game Genie codes used some kind of proprietary masking to hide the codes, but both devices ultimately allowed you to cheat in the same manner. GameShark wasn't purely hexadecimal changes, as it used some sort of prefixing. I don't know exactly how it worked. The Action Replay was a device that edited memory addresses through straight hexadecimal code. That is why AR and GS codes are different despite achieving the same results.
8 bit too. I think Nintendo sued them out of business.
Nope. The Game Genie was made by Codemasters and they're owned by EA now. Nintendo tried to sue to stop Galoob from distributing the device in North America, but they failed. They tried to argue that the device violated their exclusive right to create derivative work, but the Game Genie wasn't derivative of any of the copyrighted material Nintendo controlled.

Last edited:
The only people who benefit (aka: Make Money) from a Convention like this besides restaurants, hookers and Uber drivers/Cabbies/Hotels are going to be Vloggers and Content Creators. It's payola for favorable words or reviews. I wonder if they see a guy like Steve from GN coming in and they go "Make sure you spit in that guy's drink, he's only going to tear our stuff apart and deadpan us anyhow" :)

It's weird how quickly E3 fell apart. I was really following E3 closely back in 2014-2016 and it was still pretty much the biggest annual event in gaming at the time, every bit as much as it was in the 90's when I would read about it in Nintendo Power. I remember the BotW unveils in 2014 and again in 2016 were basically the biggest gaming news of the year: the 2014 reveal in particular totally rocked the gaming world. In 2015, Nintendo had a weak E3 but that Star Wars game was pretty crazy hype as well. After that, I got busy with school/work and so I didn't follow E3 for a few years until around 2020 and by then the conference had basically almost completely fallen apart. Now it is clearly completely dead, I mean why even bother host when the key players are not going to be there? The funny thing is that I still don't even know what happened in 2017-2019 to destroy E3. There were no real signs of decline in 2016 that I could see except for maybe that most developers were moving towards doing pre-recorded reveals with no stage presence, they were still taking it really seriously though. It's strange to me that it would die so quickly especially with no specific event or cause being the attributed reason.

Last edited:
I think the reality is that big conventions like this are irrelevant in our digital age unless the product requires you to touch it/try it out, hardware not software, and even then I'd argue for video games in particular it's irrelevant since all the game system seek parity with one another.

First it was magazine issues dedicated to "all the E3" coverage back in the way-back days, you waited a month. Then it was "Read our Review of E3 Coverage on our Web Page using your Computer at WWW....", you waited a couple days for coverage to appear. Then it was "Read that same review from your Cellular Smart Phone" and that was like 1 day or near real time reviews, and now its literally "Watch the presentations live from anywhere on the planet on the phone you never leave your house without". Why spend the money on a stage, workers, setup, teardown, shipping, all that.

Industry conventions are still relevant, where face-to-face interaction is important. E3 was doomed when they opened it up to everybody. GDC used to fill in that demand for industry interaction, but it has turned mostly into an indie circlejerk in recent years. You still at least get some good talks from big industry professionals, though.

Peasants out!

But seriously the last time in-person conventions were relevant was the 90s, when we had no internet. Last time I was to one was probably around 2001. And I stopped buying printed magazines in 20
The GameShark was a more powerful device made by Mad Catz that allowed you to look at memory addresses to find and make your own codes. The Game Genie codes used some kind of proprietary masking to hide the codes, but both devices ultimately allowed you to cheat in the same manner. GameShark wasn't purely hexadecimal changes, as it used some sort of prefixing. I don't know exactly how it worked. The Action Replay was a device that edited memory addresses through straight hexadecimal code. That is why AR and GS codes are different despite achieving the same results.

Nope. The Game Genie was made by Codemasters and they're owned by EA now. Nintendo tried to sue to stop Galoob from distributing the device in North America, but they failed. They tried to argue that the device violated their exclusive right to create derivative work, but the Game Genie wasn't derivative of any of the copyrighted material Nintendo controlled.
Man those bring back some memories. That makes me miss that gaming magazine (i cant think of what it was called to save my life) that came with the PSX demo discs that would come with like 4 or 5 demo's for upcoming games all on one disc. (like i remember playing the shit out of Spyro the Dragon where he was on a skateboard and the first Tony Hawks Pro Skater game demo that just had the first level and i became godlike at finding out every glitch and secret from playing that mind numbing 2 minute level before it would restart and go back to game selection screen.)
Also do you remember if this Gameboy device that I'm thinking of was a GameShark or Gamegenie? where people at my school would have for their Gameboy where it essentially would clone/backup/flash your progress or saved game onto the GameShark/Genie device, and then allow you to load it on other peoples physical game cartridges (since game progress was saved directly to your gameboy game cartridge instead of on the gameboy itself). This thing plugged in to the back like a regular game cartridge on the OG Gameboy/Gameboy Pocket/Gameboy Color, and then it had a female port on the other side of the device so you could plug a Gameboy game in to the opposite end of the GameShark/Genie device, where your game cartridge was then plugged in upside down where it was flush up against the back of the Gameboy...anyways I just remember people would come up to me in school and ask if they could plug in my copy of Pokémon Blue or Red into their (Gameshark or Genie?) since I had Mew and MewTwo from when Pokémon came to a mall near my house and gave everyone who had their Gameboy on them a "Mew" ...but long story short this thing would copy my entire game progress and then people could then load their physical copy of Pokémon Blue/Red with my progress of the game so they would now have a saved backup of my game on their Gameshark/Genie thing but could choose between several different storage slots on the device and could essentially either load their own saved progress, flash their game cartridge of Pokémon Blue or Red with my progress, and this device had enough storage on it to save several different games on it...and if you were to play your Gameboy game without the GameShark/Genie plugged in then it would continue progress as the last persons game progress that you loaded onto the game cartridge. (Which obviously became extremely useful for the Pokémon community during that time, but now looking back that thing was extremely useful especially if you needed to replace the battery inside of a Gameboy cartridge so you wouldn't lose progress etc)

Man those bring back some memories. That makes me miss that gaming magazine (i cant think of what it was called to save my life) that came with the PSX demo discs that would come with like 4 or 5 demo's for upcoming games all on one disc. (like i remember playing the shit out of Spyro the Dragon where he was on a skateboard and the first Tony Hawks Pro Skater game demo that just had the first level and i became godlike at finding out every glitch and secret from playing that mind numbing 2 minute level before it would restart and go back to game selection screen.)
Also do you remember if this Gameboy device that I'm thinking of was a GameShark or Gamegenie? where people at my school would have for their Gameboy where it essentially would clone/backup/flash your progress or saved game onto the GameShark/Genie device, and then allow you to load it on other peoples physical game cartridges (since game progress was saved directly to your gameboy game cartridge instead of on the gameboy itself). This thing plugged in to the back like a regular game cartridge on the OG Gameboy/Gameboy Pocket/Gameboy Color, and then it had a female port on the other side of the device so you could plug a Gameboy game in to the opposite end of the GameShark/Genie device, where your game cartridge was then plugged in upside down where it was flush up against the back of the Gameboy...anyways I just remember people would come up to me in school and ask if they could plug in my copy of Pokémon Blue or Red into their (Gameshark or Genie?) since I had Mew and MewTwo from when Pokémon came to a mall near my house and gave everyone who had their Gameboy on them a "Mew" ...but long story short this thing would copy my entire game progress and then people could then load their physical copy of Pokémon Blue/Red with my progress of the game so they would now have a saved backup of my game on their Gameshark/Genie thing but could choose between several different storage slots on the device and could essentially either load their own saved progress, flash their game cartridge of Pokémon Blue or Red with my progress, and this device had enough storage on it to save several different games on it...and if you were to play your Gameboy game without the GameShark/Genie plugged in then it would continue progress as the last persons game progress that you loaded onto the game cartridge. (Which obviously became extremely useful for the Pokémon community during that time, but now looking back that thing was extremely useful especially if you needed to replace the battery inside of a Gameboy cartridge so you wouldn't lose progress etc)
That was the GameShark. It had the ability to take a snapshot of your game state which you could transfer to your PC or load on any cartridge of the same game.

Luckily an ACE exploit was found to get Mew without the use of a cheat device, so you can get one even on the Nintendo eShop version. Unfortunately you need to keep trying it until you get the correct ID or it won't be able to be transferred between games.

Back