Sony pfr-v1 headspeakers

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
That's right. If you don't know about these, they are essentially a pair of speakers hanging on your head.

Had them for two days. Never heard better under $200. For gaming, movies, tv shows? Crazy. Completely different sound signature. Not headphone and not quite speaker.

Directional sound is uh deadly. I died 5 times in 4 rounds in BFBC2. Like having a permanent UAV.

Watching Archer on Netflix is a joy. Voices sound natural. Yeah. People say they are bright and tinny. nope. they play to the source. Some things DO sound tinny, then you play a nice recording or a movie and wow. No more of that. Full sound with more detail than normal for gear at this price.

My wife was listening to the Beatles Rocky Racoon and she lit up and said, "I am hearing things that I never did before." A good sign.

So not very articulate but if you are looking around for something like this, they are $150-180 now. Used to be $500.

I did the grommet mod and it helps.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534815/sony-pfr-v1-impressions-mini-review

i got some sony headphones i think are ok.they are sony mdr-nc7 noise cancelling headphones.they are not the best,but not bad either.

I loved the MDR-F1, should I get the pfr-v1 to try it out?

I loved the MDR-F1, should I get the pfr-v1 to try it out?

They are a lot of fun. Like a box of chocolates. You get a lot of unique playbacks with these. I mean that you will hear things in a fashion unlike any other. Headphone out there. What i like best is voices and environmental. Sounds. Often they trick you into feeling like you are there. For $160 or so, worth it just for the novelty.

Eh no. They are different than the K1000. Based on OLD memory, the directional sound is more like a globe with the Sonys and the K1000 more of a linear sound. The K1000 have more detail at times and less bass too. The Sonys are better for gaming and movies with the K1000 more consistent for music. The K1000 actually cost less than the Sony when they first came out. Their current pricing is due to the rarity.

The amazing soundstage and directional sound are just cool. Very effective in BFBC2. I can really tell where people are all over the map. Still getting used to it. Figuring the distance/volume of the sound is ongoing.

There are some things to consider. You need to do some simple mods to improve the bass and comfort. Google PFR-V1 mini review. It goes to a head-fi post that includes pics and parts. Additionally, the sound will at times seem sharp. This is due to some recordings, all music so far, just being too damn bright to begin with. That and they are very clean sounding and you can easily have the volume up too high.

Probably just a better deal atm. For gaming and movies, in the $150-170 range, you can't get a better headphone for the $$.

Last edited:
Man Zepplin IV sounds GOOD on these. The sound stage is just doing it for me. Sound is rolled off a bit at the top and the upper mids are a bit pronounced. Aka it is kind of bright without being screechy bright. Detail could be improved. Only when compared to headphones like the Ultrasone 900, AKG 5,6,700 models.

They have great separation of sounds but lack a bit of the characteristic details of them.

When the Levee Breaks is giving me fucking goosebumps! Always a good sign.

I really think they could be considered the poor mans K1000 in many respects. Just like the sound when you have the k1000 in full batman mode. Anyone who understands what I just said is certainly applauded.

They kick ass for the money.

Snoogins

Last edited:
I used the PFR-V1 a few years ago.. they are decent if you can get them for $100 or so, but they have some holes in frequency response that hold them back. Sound stage is the best feature, detail is lacking across the spectrum.

Aside from the wacky look they have nothing in common with the K1000 (in my opinion).

I used the PFR-V1 a few years ago.. they are decent if you can get them for $100 or so, but they have some holes in frequency response that hold them back. Sound stage is the best feature, detail is lacking across the spectrum.

Aside from the wacky look they have nothing in common with the K1000 (in my opinion).

I am good with that. Pretty sure my K1000 with the SQ-84 amp was better. Should be for the price difference.

The mods I have done and some tweaking have helped the freq response. You are right there are some holes. Great for gaming and stereo effects in music though.

Last edited:
While I don't love these for everything, the directional sound is tops.

They make it OBVIOUS where people are. These are the first phones I have had in a while that do such a good job isolating the direction of a sound. When they are behind me on the right, the sound clearly comes from that direction.

Back