Sony Laptop screen Problem

wipeout833

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all,

I have a issue with my laptop and I need your help to figure it out. The issue is the screen is very dim no matter if I boot the computer up into the bios or when it loads into Windows XP. I have tried different video drivers and I looked in the power settings for the option were it dims the screen while on battery power. I opened the laptop and looked at the cable connected to the motherboard and there seems to be nothing wrong. The only way I can use the laptop right now is to use a external monitor and the vga port on the back. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Model Sony
Model # pcg-grx560
Video ATI 7500 mobilty
Specs Pentium M 1.6
256mg Ram
30 gb hd

The unit prob has a bad inverter. You can buy these direct from sony. If it is not the inverter then it could be a bad cathode tube in the screen which are a pain in the ass to install. There is also a chance that it is a bad logic board(motherboard) but that is pretty slim.

If you pm me the rest of the specs on it like the model that is listed on the top, the one on the bottem and the serial I can look up the part for you monday.

Yep, probably bad backlight or inverter. Inverter is easy to fix, bad backlight is not really user replacable and requires a new screen.

Thank you for your replies and yes I do believe the backlighting has gone out on it. The really strange thing is when the computer boots up the sony vaio logo comes across and I can see it just fine but anything else is barely visible. I have to shine a flash light at it to see the screen or use the external monitor.

PM sent to swatbat

Thank you again!!!

Sorry for the delay. I had to get my sony login from work to look up the service manual then my internet was down at my house(screw comcast) and I can't get to the hardforums at work. I pulled the service manual and sent you a pm of the part number it should be. you may want to see if you can find it for less but the part is not that much from sony. O yea buy ram for that system once you fix it. 256 running xp is just wrong. Adding a 512 stick will make that notebook a lot faster.

Thanks for the info on the part number, ya I need to add more ram to it unfortunately I am a college student and money is tight right now :( I also sent you back a pm also thanks again for your help.

Hm.. let me guess, you rebuilt the sony from scratch?

If yes, you need a program called power panel?? that they do not have posted on their website.

I just rebuilt an older sony (PGP-V505BX) and the same thing happend, it was dim no matter what. The Sony vaio/bios screen are fine, but once it went into windows, bam.

The sad thing is that it took me around 3hours to find the powerpanel program. You have to go to sony's ftp server and just look around. I don't know WHY they don't have them posted on their websites.

Good luck.

Unfortunately with mine its dim in the bios also so I am assuming its the inverter or the back lighting and yes you are correct about me reloading Windows XP from scratch but that was from a while ago.

Do you have any keys that change brightness? Maybe you just changed it?

I wish this was the case with just the brightness keys, but unfortunately that was not the problem.

Back