SONY Dual Layer DVD Pics and info

the difference between 4.7 GB and 8.5 GB
is significant however

I'm just looking forward to not having to compress my DVD backups.

Having the DVD backups is getting more important now. My 1.5 year old son figured out how to open up DVD cases, and there have been a couple of ELMO fatalities. :(

YEah,that's a good thing. 8.5 GB>>>4.7GB (even if it's a Plextor,Icewindius :rolleyes: )

"The drive will be delivered with Nero and should cost about 199 EURO. An external version of the drive will also be available at 299 EURO."

Ok somebody do the conversion for me since I'm lazy. What is 199 Euro in U.S. Dollars?

Been waiting to buy dvd burner for a long time but always stopped myself from buying because it is single layer right now. I am wondering about the price too in $.

Originally posted by laban
I'm just looking forward to not having to compress my DVD backups.

Having the DVD backups is getting more important now. My 1.5 year old son figured out how to open up DVD cases, and there have been a couple of ELMO fatalities. :(

Dude I know EXACTLY what you mean. My 1.5 year old daughter thinks she owns the place, vhs rack knocked over and dvd's scratched up. I rip mine and put 3 or 4 elmo's world per dvd.

Originally posted by Foodstamp
"The drive will be delivered with Nero and should cost about 199 EURO. An external version of the drive will also be available at 299 EURO."

Ok somebody do the conversion for me since I'm lazy. What is 199 Euro in U.S. Dollars?

At the current market rate, 199 Euro would convert to $252.43

That seems a bit expensive, but I am sure once other companies start to come out with the dual-layer drives, the prices will go down.

Originally posted by SuperG

That seems a bit expensive,

wasnt that long ago any DVDR was $400 or more :p
Ive been holding off since they where $800
think I'll hold off just a wee bit more till there are a few more dual layer models, for comparision purposes

I wouldn't have a problem spending a couple hundred on one. Prices won't take long to drop.

$252.43 (less VAT?) wouldnt be horrible
its more a choice and review thing for me, been burned too many times as an early adopter

Well $250 doesn't seem as bad as I thought it would be when they would first come out. Still expensive but reasonable.

That seems a bit expensive

Just 8 years ago I shelled out $425 for a 2x CD burner and $8 a peice for 650MB blank CD's. Half the price for a quick dual layer DVD burner looks good to me :)

So they have worked out the issues with set top players reading them I take it?

Last I heard their were quite a few issues.

Originally posted by tdg
Just 8 years ago I shelled out $425 for a 2x CD burner and $8 a peice for 650MB blank CD's. Half the price for a quick dual layer DVD burner looks good to me :)

Man I paid $650 for a Smart & Friendly 1X burner. Id say on a rough estimate I probably made about $2-3 grand copying cd's for people though. heh

Last time I remember having new technology before most others... Now Im always buying second best to save..

Originally posted by SKiTLz
Man I paid $650 for a Smart & Friendly 1X burner. Id say on a rough estimate I probably made about $2-3 grand copying cd's for people though. heh
I had that same burner when they first came out. Though it's my understanding that the S&F had the ricoh mechanism just like EVERY other burner in the days of 1x.

I didn't sell warez with my burner - I sold home pressed albums of my garage band. 5 bucks a pop, media costing about 50 cents. Times about 500 albums... I think I made my money back - but I'll never get that 400 and something man hours back.

Originally posted by tdg

Me too. I got the Ricoh 6200A 2x CDR/RW drive, for $450. I know in comparison $250 doesn't seem like much for a DVDRW dive. However, there are multiple reasons why I will probably hold off for a bit. First, just as any new technology, you wait just a little while, and the prices will drop. Second, Since this is a NEW thing, I would want to wait and make sure there aren't any bugs in dual-layer writing. Finally, back in the day, I really needed the CDRW drive I bought, because other than that, all that was available was the 1.44MB floppy drives to use to store stuff. But with CDRs able to hold 700MB and being soo cheap, almost free most of the time with rebate, I can hold off. Basically I will just have to have more room to store CDRs thats it. Right now you can buy a 52x write CDRW drive for like $20. Now I am not saying I will wait till the DVDRWs get to $20, but I will hold off for just a bit.

Originally posted by Foodstamp
Well $250 doesn't seem as bad as I thought it would be when they would first come out. Still expensive but reasonable.

I paid that for my 4x Pioneer DVD-R less than a year ago (last march!).

Me too. I got the Ricoh 6200A 2x CDR/RW drive, for $450. I know in comparison $250 doesn't seem like much for a DVDRW dive.

Yeah I just always think its funny when some people think things are expensive nowadays compared to a decade or longer ago :) The machine I put my spankin new 2x burner in cost me $2,500 and it was a blazing fast P166 with 16MB and a 2.5GB HD. Later I added 32MB of EDO RAM I got on sale for $100, and then a new WD 4GB HD for $300. I would wait a while too, as much as I want a dual layer the price on new hardware drops so quickly with the market saturated with manufacturers that I'd hold off too. I also want to make sure the first generation of them will deliver reliable data storage as well. :D

Originally posted by mcryptic
screw DVDs i want one of these: http://www.inphase-technologies.com/products/tapestrymedia/

:eek:

Wow, that was very interesting. 100GB on a CD, heh thats more than many peoples' entire hard drives. The question now becomes how long before it becomes main stream. I am guessing it's going to be a while. I mean first they have to come out with the ROM drives for it, then after knowing if the market will accept it, then they can come out with the RW drives for it. I wonder how long it would take to burn a full 100GB disc. Oh well, something to look forward to I guess.

SuperG

Wow, that was very interesting. 100GB on a CD, heh thats more than many peoples' entire hard drives. The question now becomes how long before it becomes main stream. I am guessing it's going to be a while. I mean first they have to come out with the ROM drives for it, then after knowing if the market will accept it, then they can come out with the RW drives for it. I wonder how long it would take to burn a full 100GB disc. Oh well, something to look forward to I guess.

SuperG

you read that wrong. on a 12cm disk they project density of 800GB. Transfer rates of "10's to 100's" MB/sec. I suspect that if the competition and market drive was there we would have seen these already.

I hope dual layer DVD-Rs don't go for like $5 a pop when they are initially released :\.

Originally posted by pakotlar
you read that wrong. on a 12cm disk they project density of 800GB. Transfer rates of "10's to 100's" MB/sec. I suspect that if the competition and market drive was there we would have seen these already.

assuming at full brust it goes 100Mbps...
you will need a Fast SCSI HDD to drive them?? with PCI-X i suppose..even SCSI Raid... or even more... screw SCSI, go Solid State...:p

Back