Sony Discontinues 20GB PS3's.

Here is my thoughts:
I saw the 20gb PS3 as a real cheap bluray player (the Cheapest for a while) but here in the UK and probably the rest of the world, dedicated bluray players have crashed in price over 60% (ie Samsung player was £999 and is now £349). 20 Gig in a console is just a ball ache nowadays especially with downloadable games getting bigger (ie Tekken DR at around 600-700meg and GT HD at 600meg i think, i cant be arsed to check gthds size atm! Other smaller games are around 2-300meg) 20 gig would soon get swallowed up by downloadable games at a great price. It makes sense to install retail games that can be installed for faster load times, ridge racer on its own is 5 gig and i reckon some of the aaa titles will be installable when they come out. Playstation home which almost every user is guaranteed to install will take up a few gig. Personally i dont think 60gb is enough and i expect a 120-200gb ps3 to be announced for launch before christmas. Im still eager to find out what this monster ps3 is gonna be like, heres hoping for a 500gb hd and 2 gig of ram with an on digital card for other mutimedia/pc use like the vaio media centers. See what happens....

Here is my thoughts:
Personally i dont think 60gb is enough and i expect a 120-200gb ps3 to be announced for launch before christmas. Im still eager to find out what this monster ps3 is gonna be like, heres hoping for a 500gb hd and 2 gig of ram with an on digital card for other mutimedia/pc use like the vaio media centers. See what happens....

There would be no reason for them to do that when 1) you can take a USB HDD and plug it right in and 2) even the tech enthusiasts consider the 360 Elite to be a rip off.

But really, if anything, they should have discontinued the 60GB version considering that 90% of gamers out there could not care less about the Wi-Fi and card reader. The difference in HDD space is also trivial because, again, you could just plug in a USB HDD. Come to think of, you could also plug in a USB card reader, so the only thing that would be totally out of reach is the Wi-Fi.

There would be no reason for them to do that when 1) you can take a USB HDD and plug it right in and 2) even the tech enthusiasts consider the 360 Elite to be a rip off.

But really, if anything, they should have discontinued the 60GB version considering that 90% of gamers out there could not care less about the Wi-Fi and card reader. The difference in HDD space is also trivial because, again, you could just plug in a USB HDD. Come to think of, you could also plug in a USB card reader, so the only thing that would be totally out of reach is the Wi-Fi.

lets not forget though that the average joe still does not know what a hard drive/ usb hard drive is especially as they are not sold in the majority of dedicated game stores. i myself will be upgrading my ps3 myself to 200 gig sometime soon.

I'm wishing for the $450-$500 "no hard drive, but with wireless and card reader" SKU. I can provide my own HDD.

lets not forget though that the average joe still does not know what a hard drive/ usb hard drive is especially as they are not sold in the majority of dedicated game stores. i myself will be upgrading my ps3 myself to 200 gig sometime soon.

Where are you going to get a 200GB 2.5" drive? :)

Yuck, are they only available in 4200RPM so far? No way in hell I'd go for that slow-ass shit, LOL. 5400 is the bare minimum, and I'm actually thinking 7200 would be preferable.

This is the one im after, apparently out in May!! 200gig 7200rpm!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/11/samsungs-spinpoint-m1-laptop-drive-200gb-at-7200rpm-a-world/

either that or ill wait for 100gig solid state drives for ultra speed and no noise!! The loading times on games would be dam quick!

Yuck, are they only available in 4200RPM so far? No way in hell I'd go for that slow-ass shit, LOL. 5400 is the bare minimum, and I'm actually thinking 7200 would be preferable.

They did benching on the ps3 for load times etc on games that supported installs such as RR7, as well as audio ripping and there were little differences between the 5400/7200rpm. Id agree that i wouldnt go 4200rpm either though.

This sucks. I was going to get a 20 GB PS3, but now I have to shell out more $$ for the 60 GB one. I was just gonna buy the 20 GB one and pop in a 250 GB HDD.

I was all set to buy a 20g PS3 as there is a local store near me that has 3 left. However, I have to wonder if the 60g will go down to $499.99 real soon and I will look like a fool for paying $499 for the 20g now. I just want the PS3 for blu-ray.

Scott

This is the one im after, apparently out in May!! 200gig 7200rpm!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/11/samsungs-spinpoint-m1-laptop-drive-200gb-at-7200rpm-a-world/

either that or ill wait for 100gig solid state drives for ultra speed and no noise!! The loading times on games would be dam quick!

damn, nice! I'm glad we're finally getting into larger sizes for laptop drives. I agree, though, solid state would kick some serious ass. Let's hope they make them with a SATA interface and design them to be compatible even with PS3's :)

Although I still say, I'm waiting for the PS3 slim, I still don't want that fatboy in my house :D. Well, and I'm cheap, so I'm sure the $299 or less PS3 slim will be fine, haha.

They did benching on the ps3 for load times etc on games that supported installs such as RR7, as well as audio ripping and there were little differences between the 5400/7200rpm. Id agree that i wouldnt go 4200rpm either though.

yeah I could see that probably being true for a console. Still, at *least* 5400 RPM, 4200 is just sad :)

Back