Something is wrong with my system any tests i can run?

Savi

Gawd
Hello, my system is acting very odd at times,I'm pretty sure it is a video card problem, but I'm all out of ideas of figuring out how to pin point the exact cause of the problem. Some times i get very odd graphical errors in games, polygons go all screwy and i need to close the game and open it again. don't need to restart PC just the game and its fine. But this past week or 2 my screen freezes and i get a mix of a rainbow scramble ( the kind on TV the white and black one ) but it is mixed with what game i was playing. my system specs are

asus p8p67 deluxe
16gigs of ram
gtx 280
128 GB Crucial Real SSD C300 - for OS Drive - Win 7 x64
2 tb WD black for games

I have the current beta drivers 285.79. This system has been running rock solid since i built it. Right after the rev 2 motherboards came out. I was using the 285.62 drivers but with those i was getting the graphic errors in the game more offten than the beta ones I am using now. note sure what i should do. there any tests i can run or somthing

sounds like its time for a new video card.

you could try downclocking the card or lowering its voltage with msi afterburner etc. but i doubt that will fix it. some people have fixed video cards that do this by reflowing the solder on them with either a heat gun or sticking them in an oven (look this up on these forums if you don't believe me and before you try this!!!)

Hello, my system is acting very odd at times,I'm pretty sure it is a video card problem, but I'm all out of ideas of figuring out how to pin point the exact cause of the problem. Some times i get very odd graphical errors in games, polygons go all screwy and i need to close the game and open it again. don't need to restart PC just the game and its fine. But this past week or 2 my screen freezes and i get a mix of a rainbow scramble ( the kind on TV the white and black one ) but it is mixed with what game i was playing. my system specs are

asus p8p67 deluxe
16gigs of ram
gtx 280
128 GB Crucial Real SSD C300 - for OS Drive - Win 7 x64
2 tb WD black for games

I have the current beta drivers 285.79. This system has been running rock solid since i built it. Right after the rev 2 motherboards came out. I was using the 285.62 drivers but with those i was getting the graphic errors in the game more offten than the beta ones I am using now. note sure what i should do. there any tests i can run or somthing

What kind of power supply is running this system?

Also have you tried different drivers? Have you tried upping the voltage of the card slightly to see if you gain stability. You can also try downclocking the card. As far as tests you can use kombustor along with msi afterburner to monitor your temps and fps while doing a extreme burn in on the card.

My first guess on a older card like this would be to suggest you check your temps. Remove the shroud on the graphics card and remove any caked on dust between the heat sink fins. Dust tends to build up over the years on cards like these and some times cleaning it could increase the airflow substantially and eliminate any artifacts you see. Applying new TIM may be an option. Which GTX 280 is this? Do you have a warranty. Perhaps calling the maufacturer first before taking the suggestions I outlined is a better idea in case this stuff voids your warranty. Now if your card is a BFG then just follow some of the steps I outlined and you may be okay.

Back