someone using my wifi???

GrainMonkey

Limp Gawd
need a way to trace/ get info from a pc on my network.. i just got a new wireless router and havent put any encryption yet and foudn someone using it!! any info you all could give me would be appreciated!

first thing to do is SECURE the router,
about all you get on the user is the MAC address

Start logging his data if it's passing through your network. Using a combination of social engineering and likely stupidity on his part I'm sure you can do some damage.

Darth Bagel said:
Start logging his data if it's passing through your network. Using a combination of social engineering and likely stupidity on his part I'm sure you can do some damage.
Why would you want to? He left his wireless open; Anybody could accidently have logged in and is using it without knowing.

First secure it, then tweak with anybody who is still trying to access it.

XOR != OR said:
Why would you want to? He left his wireless open; Anybody could accidently have logged in and is using it without knowing.

First secure it, then tweak with anybody who is still trying to access it.
I read that he found someone consistently using his wireless connection that he'd like to cause problems for, or at least find out more information about, not just that he noticed a rogue DHCP entry and would like to make sure no more of them show up.

Darth Bagel said:
I read that he found someone consistently using his wireless connection that he'd like to cause problems for

Completely understandable... nothing written might suggest otherwise....

i just got a new wireless router and havent put any encryption yet and foudn someone using it!!

i guess i didnt mention that it was only online for maybe 3/4 hours this way... it just bugged me that there is someone out there who actually used it and yes they did.. the router shows connections to some rather "interesting" sites.. I figured out who it was though was the neighbor boy behind me sucking other peoples connections through his laptop so his parents wouldnt get in trouble for what he was looking at.. on the wifes laptop i always use a specific channel/password so hers wasnt connected yet but opened it up and there is about 14 routers in our area that are open AND the school which is 2 blocks away has 4 routers as well... just amazed me ....

and yeah the kid was not smart considering he had folders shared on his lappy that ended up in my network places...

GrainMonkey said:
i guess i didnt mention that it was only online for maybe 3/4 hours this way... it just bugged me that there is someone out there who actually used it and yes they did.. the router shows connections to some rather "interesting" sites.. I figured out who it was though was the neighbor boy behind me sucking other peoples connections through his laptop so his parents wouldnt get in trouble for what he was looking at.. on the wifes laptop i always use a specific channel/password so hers wasnt connected yet but opened it up and there is about 14 routers in our area that are open AND the school which is 2 blocks away has 4 routers as well... just amazed me ....

and yeah the kid was not smart considering he had folders shared on his lappy that ended up in my network places...

Well..couple of things to ponder before trying to shoot someone.

Did you rename your wireless SSID to other than default? If you didn't..you can't immediately blame someone..perhaps they have the same brand router under the same SSID..such as "Linksys" or "Nutgear". And "by accident" their PC connected to yours. I see this a LOT.

If you did rename your SSID to something unique..OK..they intentionally did click "connect" and jumped onboard. Now you're in the predicament of "Do I scream at them for intruding?"

IMO...time to fire up WPA, password protect your routers web admin, and be done with it.

Not only is the person stealing your bandwidth..but they're potentially exposing your PC to threats. You mentioned they visited some "interesting sites"...so how much you wanna bet their PC may have a trojan or two? A worm? Some form of malware? You agree? OK..next step...do you know some malware can "hop across networks" and self spread? Yeah. ;) If he's using your router..he's on your network..same IP range. Uh oh! And if you left your Administrator account password left blank...big Uh Oh! Big no-no..never ceases to amaze me how many people leave the Admin account with a blank password. It opens up the door to soooo much more trouble.

Anyways..time to change routers password, ensure your SSID is unique..then fire up WPA. Takes a whole 45 seconds or less to be done with it.

turn the wireless radio off, come up with an elaborate WPA key to use, change your SSID, turn of SSID broadcast, use your MAC filter, change yoru admin password.

Or use wired if the problem persists.

she's locked up now.. changed the admin password before it was even hooked up to my modem.. and no the router name was basically changed to my last name & how many of us live in the house me/wife/kids etc etc so it is specific to us.. i've had issues with someone clicking by accident. or for that fact some wireless cards just connect to the stronger signal.. i was just in a hurry didnt turn on WPA so wife wouldnt hav eto dink with it while i had to run to work quick.. we dont have any files shared or print sharing on would it be possible to have something jump from their pc over still? im not too worried about it anymore unless someone tries taking legal action against me for something!! lol
i am just really amazed that there are so many routers around me that have no security at all.. perhaps this is a chance to make some cash.. hmm..

GrainMonkey said:
i am just really amazed that there are so many routers around me that have no security at all.. perhaps this is a chance to make some cash.. hmm..

Yup...go around some professional centers and do a site survey..then go knocking on some office doors saying "I was working on so-so's network next door..notice you're open...thought I'd mention it to ya".

You can pickup some clients doing that. Especially scarey when it's a business dealing with certain information...IE healthcare, etc.

Not long ago I was setting up a wireless at a physical therapy satellite office...it was built into a Gold Gyms...the gym was running wireless also..completely default (Linksys for SSID). I told the manager...he said "Yeah..what can you do"

"Lemme know you" I said. They were running Windows XP simple file sharing..had client data, their accounting database on full open share. :rolleyes: PcAnywhere forwarded to the router..NOT EVEN PASSWORDED. Default password on router.

Even an amateur could have wreaked havoc on that network in minutes. :rolleyes:

YeOldeStonecat said:
Yup...go around some professional centers and do a site survey..then go knocking on some office doors saying "I was working on so-so's network next door..notice you're open...thought I'd mention it to ya".
While good intentioned, doing that in some situations with the right circumstances is blackmail.

I read it on a wireless forum once.

fibroptikl said:
While good intentioned, doing that in some situations with the right circumstances is blackmail.

I read it on a wireless forum once.

Wow...wonder who thought that up. Probably the clueless IT guy who set it up wide open. LOL. To me...it's like driving by your neighbors house..when you know that they're not home..and you see their front door is open/ajar.

i agree with the above.. lol. walking in and looking around is wrong. but at the samet imne calling your neighbor and saying "listen your doors open moron" is the right thing to do. if you know them well enough. simply close it lol

my roomate. erm well neighbor roomate had opend natwork. he was clueless. so i locked it down from my pc. and set him up with the info. he's happy as shit and could care less. i've had my inet drop before and just used his hehe :)

While on the topic, someone is useing my wifi late at night. Ive tried to enable wep and wpa, but my blackbook doesent like it for some reason..... Is there any program for my pc that I can run that will show me users on the network and the ability to ban them via mac address or ip? Thanks.

Back