Some help for my familys PC back home

The Titan

Ownage brought to you by Dr Pepper
Sup people. I need some ideas on what could be wrong with my familys PC back home. Unfortunately I stand 250 miles away from being able to help them.

Heres the scoop:

My mother was doing something on the computer, and all of a sudden the PC stopped dead on her, with a constant high pitched sound coming from the speakers. She was listening to music or something.

Then as someone would do, she rebooted the computer. When the computer came up it said something about the CMOS settings, so she told me, and stopped there.

I dealt with this set up that my family is using now before, and it did that to me once before. I reset the CMOS, set the correct settings, and all was good.

But now, instead of it being fixed as simple as that, for some reason now the computer has a blank screen when turned on, and the monitor goes into standby mode. This, for me, is unusual. The motherboard thats in the machine at home has its unique querks, and until now I had dealt with every single one.

Every now and then she says when she tries powering it on again the bios screen with the CMOS problem comes up again, but the computer doesnt see the keyboard, and when she tries to do something about it, the screen comes up blank again on the next reboot.

I am 250 miles away, and this is just my luck. All swearing aside, does anybody have some suggestions as to what to try? I might have to wait until I get home for summer to deal with this, but any suggestions as of right now are appreciated.

I have ideas of my own but I want to gather some info from others. Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

Well what do you mean by it goes on standby when turned on?..does the computer make it past POST?

This may sound silly...

Have her disconect the keyboard and see if the computer boots. Reassure her that she just has to hit the power button to shut it down again.

(if this is the problem, it is a $6 keyboard fix)

A shot in the dark, but maybe...

Sounds like a BIOS upgrade is in order.

-Skystalker

Originally posted by RancidWAnnaRIot
Well what do you mean by it goes on standby when turned on?..does the computer make it past POST?
Nope.

The monitor turns on with the LED being green, it then turns to orange(standby). "No input detected" she said.
Originally posted by Skystalker
This may sound silly...

Have her disconect the keyboard and see if the computer boots. Reassure her that she just has to hit the power button to shut it down again.

(if this is the problem, it is a $6 keyboard fix)

A shot in the dark, but maybe...

Sounds like a BIOS upgrade is in order.

-Skystalker
You know, I had her unconnect it and reconnect it, but that didnt work. I will see if that will do it. Its a new keyboard and until now it worked fine. Thats a great idea. I thought it might be the video card, but the keyboard I used to use with that motherboard always had detection problems. Until now the new keyboard I put with it was working just fine, detected all the time.

My friend complained of the exact same symptoms on his computer. I had him drop it off, and it turned out that all but 2 pins on the ps2 conector for the mouse were bent sideways shorting out. Its probibly not the case here, unless your mother just likes to re-plug the mouse between computer usages, but its worth a shot.

this happened to me. i turned on my computer and black screen. dunno y it did it. i unpluged everything and nothing worked so i took out the processor and video card then put them back in. it reset the processor back to stock speed and it started up fine. sounds like it could be a number of things

Yeah it would have to be the one thing that would require me to be there to throw it through a window...

Back