Some games crash, others don't

Nebulous

[H]ard|Gawd
This has been fucking nightmare. For several months games that ran perfectly fine now started crashing. I've tried just about everything to find the cause, but nothing seems to fix it.

Things I've done so far:

Swapped memory (tested fine with memtest) Gskill Ripjaws V 3200, Trident Z 3200)
Unraided my games drive. Tried single Nmve for OS and single Nvme for games) Tried 2 different WD Black SN850's and a Crucial P5 Plus with the same problem. These are all new drives.
Swapped 3 different power supplies ( Evga 1000w G5, 850w P6, Super Flower 850w Leadex SE Platinum)
Different Drivers, different bioses.

Only parts i haven't changed are the video card, mobo and cpu. I got a 5900X enroute to swap out. After a fresh OS install and a fresh games install, this time the games did run a little longer before crashing.

Games that crash are:

Tom Clancey's Wildlands & Breakpoint
FarCry 6
FarCry 5
Generation Zero

Funny how those games continue to crash, but other games play fine. I don't get it. Yes, everything is running stock, no overclock. Same problem.

Any other suggestions/ideas I can try that I haven't?

Nothing that points to the problem or what's causing it. I'm stumped

Just rechecked, found this:

Attachments

• E1.JPG
    E1.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
*Update*

Last 2 remaining parts to exchange are the board and the graphics card. Purchased a MSI X570S Tomahawk board to swap and see if that will fix this dam stupid issue. This board is identical aside from the chipset cooler. Friend of mine was having a similar issue with the same X570 Tomahawk board. He swapped over to a X570S Tomahawk and the issue was gone. He has more ram 64gb compared to my 32gb and he has a 3090 to my 3080, but the same 5900X chip.

I swear I hate chasing these fucking phantom issues. I'm not ready to jump into AM5 just yet and I sure as hell ain't going to intel :ROFLMAO:.

Will keep this updated.

Have you run any torture testing just to verify overall system stability? Tried going to default BIOS settings I assume. Can you trace the timeline of when the issues started and roll back all drivers and firmware to see if you can isolate the issue? Have you tried bumping voltages even at stock speeds just to eliminate that variable?

tried reinstalling the games? Just crash or bluescreen? What does the system log say around the time of the crash?

Oh check the cpu overclocking options in bios. Sometimes they're cranked up by default, and can cause instability.

I had an issue like this and it turned out to be a bad cpu, AMD ryzen 9 5900X crashed certain games. Got a replacement cpu and everything has been fine.

Have you tried testing your memory with something else like TestMem5 with a config like anta777's abolut?

When you say "crash" what do you mean? Crash to desktop? Bluescreen? Computer shut off?

Back