[SOLVED] Debian 11 Bullseye EXT4 Install + Backing up External Seagate 5TB using cp -R in Terminator - System Locks up & Corrupts Partition Table ...

Hey everyone!

Thank you for this very cool forum Community! I don't know if anyone can assist me. I found this forum while searching for answers for my problem.

I was performing a backup two nights ago and didn't get too far using terminator in Debian Linux 11 Bullseye & monitoring i/o (drive is old) using a terminal monitoring tool for hard drives. One of the "tops".

After an hour I looked over at my monitor to find the monitoring was stuck and I checked the clock and the system was frozen. Pretty fresh install w/ 64 gb's ram.

I did a cold shut down. I booted back up and my partition table was destroyed.

Instead of 1 EXT4 partition that I created using GParted; it showed 2 partitions:

Code:
Partition: /dev/sdb1 (CAUTION SYMBOL) | File System: unknown | Size: 582.19 GiB 
Partition: unallocated | File System: unallocated | Size: 3.98 TiB

I immediately knew this was off. I did some googling and found TestDisk. I did as much research as I could and then realized it was the starting point to remedy.

Steps I took with "TestDisk":

I installed it on a Debian Laptop (Thinkpad T420) and ran an Analyse:

I chose "ENTER: to Continue" and it showed the following output:

Code:
Disk /dev/sdb - 5000GB / 4657 GiB - CHS 608001 255 63
Current partition structure:

Partition                                   Start                                 End                         Size in sectors

No ext2, JFS, Reiser, cramfs or XFS marker
1  P  Linux                              0     4     5 76000   41    9  1220942336
1  P  Linux                              0     4     5 76000   41    9  1220942336
No partition is bootable

I then ran "Quick Search":

To my surprise I got excited and it seen my EXT4 Partition with the proper label "DATASCIENCE-2019":

Code:
Disk /dev/sdb - 5000GB / 4657 GiB - CHS 608001 255 63
      Partition                          Start                End        Size in sectors
>* Linux                                0   32  33  608001    74  9  9767538688  [DATASCIENCE-2019]

I navigated my in-tact looking Folders using "P: list files".

Then I pressed "ENTER: to Continue" and it showed the following output:

Code:
Disk /dev/sdb - 5000 GB / 4657 GiB - CHS 608001 255 63

Partition                                Start                End     Size in sectors
1 * Linux                                   0   32  33  608001   74    9  9767538688 [DATASCIENCE-2019]

and I chose [Write] "Write partition structure to disk".

The awesome program, TestDisk told me to reboot for the change to take effect. I chose OK and then restarted and plugged in the drive again (USB) and I now see the drive attempt mount with errors. After scouring google for several hours trying to find the remedy. I think in the *very* beginning of opening TestDisk; it allowed me to choose between PC or GPT (I didn't know that drives over 2.2TB required GPT); I ended up choosing PC as opposed to GPT.

Before I wrote this partition structure to disk and rebooted. I looked online to find the "default GParted EXT4 partition type" to no avail finding the answer to choose the right one. I chose PC and struck out. (Obviously no fault of theirs or their beautiful program).

So now I get the following (which is better; I wasn't able to even attempt to use fsck against a device that didn't have correct partitions pointing to my data). *So I currently feel that's a Win regardless*.

Here is the new message I get (at least I get a message)
icon_lol.gif

Code:
"Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/brandon/DATASCIENCE-2019: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error"

I then used "e2fsck" and ...

I tried running the following commands:

Code:
# e2fsck -f /dev/sdb1

Results: (I didn't know what I was doing and ran CNTRL+C ... was chicken!)

Code:
Error reading block 610303999 (Invalid argument). Ignore error<y>? no
Superblock has an invalid journal (inode 8).
Clear<y>? cancelled
e2fsck: The journal superblock is corrupt while checking journal for DATASCIENCE-2019
e2fsck: Cannot proceed with file system check

DATASCIENCE-2019: ************** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors *************

&

Code:
# e2fsck -p /dev/sdb1

Code:
Error reading block 610303999 (Invalid argument).

DATASCIENCE-2019: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
                 (i.e., without -a or -p options)

Not sure how to proceed using TestDisk; is it possible to re-run TestDisk and instead of choosing PC, choose GPT (in hopes it still finds the partition) and then write the correct table, reboot, mount and all is fine and accessible? Or are the chances of that unlikely?

What would be anyone who is familiar with this type of situation, course of action for Remedy?

Any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all for your time and this very unique community!

Best Regards,

Thank you again everyone! TestDisk fixed it. I ran it against /dev/sdb after getting the error in Debian 11 on auto-mount via USB plugin. This time I selected EFI GPT instead of Top Choice - INTEL (which showed DATASCIENCE-2019 as MSDOS). I wrote the new partition table and rebooted and everything mounted perfect!

Much appreciated! I didn't lose anything it seems :)

Back