Solutions for remote computer access

calikool

[H]ard|Gawd
We know that we can use remote desktop to login into a remote computer and then there is VNC and some other applications. What solutions have all you guys come up with to help your "old man" with his computer remotely.

Any forum guides for your chosen application that I can use to setup? The "old man" has a cable connection and a router and it would be easy to port forward to his machine.

I can't name the application but I remember reading about one that he can just double click and it will open a "socket" which in turn I can connect to and then do all the remote admin crap to keeps his computer working and free of his screw ups.

Suggestions and solutions welcome.

I've tried a few..I use GoToMeeting for remote support of my clients. ZERO firewall configuration so you don't have to rip your hair out walking the person through port forwarding on the other end.

That looks nice, but its odd that they charge you monthly/annually instaead of just buying the software.

COKE CAN said:
GoToMeeting eh? Similar to NetMeeting at all?

No...its sort of a big brother version of GoToMyPC...made by Citrix. I use it because..I have a need to often connect to clients PCs...often times my business clients home PCs. I don't always know what kind of router they have..or firewalls..so while I can do static LAN IPs and port forwarding myself on pretty much any firewall and network if I'm asleep and drunk...it's often difficult walking a typical person through how to log into their router...who knows what kind of router they have..or whatever, what the unknown password is..blah blah blah...

GoToMeeting..I can usually walk even the most blond air headed computer illiterate person through allowing me to connect in under a minute. And I'm at their desktop doing whatever it is I have to do.

Monkey34 said:
That looks nice, but its odd that they charge you monthly/annually instaead of just buying the software.

You're using their servers. So it's subscription based.

calikool said:
Is gotometting better than gotomypc ?

It has a different purpose...you can't really compare them. gotomypc is a way to get to YOUR PC from elsewhere..and that's it..your PC and only your PC.

GoToMeeting will allow you to go to ANYONEs PC, from anywhere. Others at the same time too if you want. That methodology works for "support".

Back