Software, licenses and documentation cataloging

syn3rgyz

Gawd
I'm interning at a firm right now and I am tasked to catalog all software CD's, licenses documentations etc into a bookcase/filing cabinet of some sort. We have a test and a dev environment, I was just wondering what everyones approach to this usually is and how they organize it.

MediaWiki, Sharepoint, Could use something down to building a simple access database.

it's tough. there are products out there, but to get your bases covered they are enterprise level software suites, so looking into the tens of thousands of dollars to get that off the ground. I've resorted to spreadsheets shared on a sharepoint site for a lot of stuff, does the trick. I also have a Wiki (atlassian confluence) and we track a lot of stuff through integration with Jira (bug/issue tracking system, also from atlassian)

So i have decided to use mediawiki, but usually what kind of documentations should there be?
Recover Strategy
Backup Strategy
Hardware Inventory
Software Inventory/Licenses

For licenses and keys I'd do a spreadsheet or a database (if you need to be that fancy. I personally would not make it known to the entire company what software is available. Consolidating all the physical assets though is a good idea. I would basically lump all the oem software with the system, then seperate that from any retail/volume license software, and also keep the test/dev software seperate too.

security isnt much of an issue because the wiki is for this project only and we get our own server room / network that is not connected to the internet

Back