Software Fix Responsible for Mars Probe Loss

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
We have all seen the effects of an ill prepared software update, but I think losing the Mars Global Surveyor over one may set a precedent.

A software 'fix' sent up to NASA's Mars Global Surveyor spacecraft in June 2006 ultimately led to its failure five months later, a preliminary new report reveals. The report also finds that the existing procedures used by the mission team were not thorough enough to catch the resulting problems, and that reductions in budgets and staff may have played some role in the loss of the mission.

I doubt that 10 yr old batteries can last that long in space anyway. We got almost 3x the value for this probe. They were babying it along to get that much out of the Batteries.

Ask youself how long your laptop battery will last.

I hope the Plug In Hybrid will have batteries has good as this Mars Spacecraft.

DM

I doubt that 10 yr old batteries can last that long in space anyway. We got almost 3x the value for this probe. They were babying it along to get that much out of the Batteries.

Ask youself how long your laptop battery will last.

I hope the Plug In Hybrid will have batteries has good as this Mars Spacecraft.

DM

Voyager I and II have been in space for nearly 30 years and continue to function:

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/

But did it use Radioisotope batteries? Those can last for centuries if you design one to.

Voyager I and II have been in space for nearly 30 years and continue to function:

Snap Generator is not a Nicad Battery. I am talking the batteries the use that charge off of the Solar Panels. When your going beyond Mars you need something that puts out more UMPH. Solar won't do.

http://www.awarenessmag.com/sepoct7/SO7_NUKE.HTML
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermal_generator

Rechargeable Batteries have an limited life. I am amazed they got almost 10 years.

But just think someone will have to gather up these Nuke Generators. Some on the Moon, Mars and Saturn and going beyond (Pluto). Plus the 2 Voyagers going to who knows where. I bet in the future they will be retreved and disposed of.

Image what can be done with 72lbs (See Saturn Probe) of this dangerous stuff in the future by some nutjob.

DM

"Image what can be done with 72lbs (See Saturn Probe) of this dangerous stuff in the future by some nutjob."

If the nutjobs can

a) locate then
b) retrieve

The RTG power stack from any outbound spacecraft then we're already screwed.

Hopefully the Future Govts will make this a Priority Mission to gather these up and dump them into Jupiter (Jupiter Probe was crashed into Jupiter). The ones on the Moon and Mars are going to be easy to get oneday. I will be long gone.

I assume the one at Saturn will be crashed into the planet and beyond reach. The Pluto one who knows. Along with the Voyager ones.

U can bet it's on somone's list to gather this junk up and fling it into the Sun or some major gas giant.

If our Govt has it on the ball. I doubt it. I think they won't react until one from the Moon is taken.. In 50 years I bet it will be possible for somone to go get them. 100 at least.

It would make a good book.

DM

Back