Socket F quads on Sale:

Patonb

Gawd
Not sure who cares, But today only,

Opteron Quad-core 2360 SE 2.50GHz Processor: $49.99 But limits 1

At a, um Canadian store

I can do better: 60 1.8 GHz hex cores for $279.
Last time I checked, the seller also had 90 H8DME-2's for $50 each (not listed, and I don't know whether he still has them).
2 of these with a slight OC will do 16K PPD on SMP.
Problem is, the PPD/$ and PPD/W aren't as good as quad socket G34 :(

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If anyone knows of a good source for dual socket-f motherboards, I am in bad need of one.

I can do better: 60 1.8 GHz hex cores for $279.
Last time I checked, the seller also had 90 H8DME-2's for $50 each (not listed, and I don't know whether he still has them).
2 of these with a slight OC will do 16K PPD on SMP.
Problem is, the PPD/$ and PPD/W aren't as good as quad socket G34 :(

That's a hot deal for BOINC crunching, I'd get one at this price ($50 board + $30 or less per CPU, I have spare ram and spare psu's) If these boards become available, someone please post in Hot Deals thread. :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I messaged the guy who's selling the box of Opterons and he said he still had a few boards left, in case anyone is interested.

How much is shipping? Will Customs get a burr up their behind and hold the shipment a while for inspection?

I'm not throwing cold water, just relating what I saw in the eBay link.

H8DME-2s are good boards, I have 2 systems with 2419s (yeah $15 cpus) which I don't fold on and one with 2384s which I do fold on and they are rock solid.

Would these work in Dell SC1435 servers?

I've dealt with upgrading some of those from dual dual core to dual quad cores. The SC1435s are loud, but really cheap on ebay these days.

I've dealt with upgrading some of those from dual dual core to dual quad cores. The SC1435s are loud, but really cheap on ebay these days.
Six-cores often don't work on random socket F boards, since they require split power planes.
If it supports Shanghai (opteron 237x, 238x) it is more likely to support Istanbul.

Six-cores often don't work on random socket F boards, since they require split power planes.
If it supports Shanghai (opteron 237x, 238x) it is more likely to support Istanbul.

I've personally installed Opteron 2384 2.7 GHz Quad Core processors and know they work if it helps.

I can't find any documentation as to the SC1435 being able to do any 6 Core CPUs. :confused:

I've personally installed Opteron 2384 2.7 GHz Quad Core processors and know they work if it helps.

I can't find any documentation as to the SC1435 being able to do any 6 Core CPUs. :confused:

Does Dell document them as supporting the quads?
Also, somewhat relatedly, anyone else interested in 2419's? I'm thinking about getting a case of 60, and I'd be happy to part it out to recoup some of the costs.
EDIT: derp, he sold one box and is now trying to part them out in lots of 12 for $120 :(

Last edited:

Any luck/experience in mounting those AMD Istanbul 2419 6-core CPUs in your SC1435 boxes? I have tried and they failed (dell bios 2.2.2) to boot.

Well, if it is just a BIOS issue (and not hardware incompatibility), we've got some people who do BIOS mods around here - tear and musky come to mind.

Back