So what's happening with quantum dot?

samsung is raping the market in a no holes barred fashion: quantum dots for 1080p gaming monitors, quantum dots for 34" , Newegg exclusive 32" 2560x14400 gaming monitor. all delivering 125% RGB coverage and perfect sRGB mode.

if anything, i would complain that Samsung is milking the market releasing products slowly, i can barely wait for a 34" gaming monitor with a scanning backlight and quantum dots

I think he's talking about QLED not quantum dot-based LCDs which are just slightly fancier LCDs in the end.

E: I haven't heard anything recently about it and even old news indicated they weren't planning to start production on this until 2019, so who knows. The fact that they've started abusing the term for quantum dot LCD TVs leads me to believe they might be planning to just try to compete with LG OLED with marketing speak and continuing minor upgrades to LCD.

Last edited:
Really depends what you mean by "quantum dot." Samsung has been selling TVs with quantum dot backlights for a couple of years, at least. But those still use regular LCD panels.

The misleadingly-named "QLED" TVs they showed at CES are still the same old LCD/quantum dot backlight, though they seem to have made some improvements to viewing angles on those.

Actual, emissive quantum dot displays (i.e., the pixels are QDs themselves - no LCD/backlight at all) won't be a thing for some years yet.

You can think of quantum dots as used in backlights as a way of tuning the color spectrum of the backlight in a more accurate and stable way than with the phosphors that are currently used. The LCD part of the system remains the same.

Emissive QD will be a replacement for OLED and is being researched, but not ready yet. This will probably be the end of the road for emissive displays (in a good way).

I don't even think the real QLED tech is ready any time soon. Just Samsung tryna pull a fast one against the LG OLED onslaught. Their phones still using OLED instead of this 'QLED LCD' says a lot about it LOL

Back