so what time is the 3.74EE coming out today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that was pathetic to see the 3.73 get aced by one of its own. The 3.46 EE had the upper hand in far too many benchmarks, despite a full 266 MHz advantage.

Redefined said:
3.73EE, and i think ive decided to buy a P4 630 and OC it for my new shuttle. ( antec aria )

offtopic-
aria != shuttle

ontopic-

im sick of this stupid fan-boy shit that redefined keeps posting
all in all...it comes down to this...

- if your gonna waste a grand on a CPU and you play games...get an FX-55...

- if your gonna waste a grand on a CPU and render pixars next movie then get dual optys.....

- the only thing intel is good for (IMO at least...) is if your rendering pixars next movie and all the suppliers are out of optys.......then xeon is still the way to go

- if you dont have a grand to blow on a CPU...well then a p4 is worth it if your rendering...all a64s are better than it in gaming...so if your primary task is gaming go a64....nothing more to it..

/me gets water pistol to put out the flames that redefined sends my way :p

4b5eN+EE said:
offtopic-
aria != shuttle

ontopic-

im sick of this stupid fan-boy shit that redefined keeps posting
all in all...it comes down to this...

- if your gonna waste a grand on a CPU and you play games...get an FX-55...

- if your gonna waste a grand on a CPU and render pixars next movie then get dual optys.....

- the only thing intel is good for (IMO at least...) is if your rendering pixars next movie and all the suppliers are out of optys.......then xeon is still the way to go

- if you dont have a grand to blow on a CPU...well then a p4 is worth it if your rendering...all a64s are better than it in gaming...so if your primary task is gaming go a64....nothing more to it..

/me gets water pistol to put out the flames that redefined sends my way :p

well if i were to waste a grand on a CPU i would buy thr 3.73EE.

Redefined said:
well if i were to waste a grand on a CPU i would buy thr 3.73EE.

Why would you waste a grand on that CPU, instead YOU CAN DO THIS RIGHT NOW:

buy 4 - 630's, test them for OC'ing....

Out of those 4 I bet you'll get at least one that does 4+ Ghz at 1066Mhz+
then ebay the rest.

Buy $259 x 4 = $1036
Sell 3 @ $212 to unload fast = $636 back in your pocket (could probably sell for more)

so $400 for a super fast 4Ghz processor that better and cheaper than your Extremely Expensive Edition.

anybody got any comparisons between the 3.74ee and the 3.4ee. or the 3.46ee will work since its about the same as the 3.4ee.

AnandTech's review compares the 3.46 EE, as well as the higher-end 500- and 600-series Pentium 4s, and of course, a selection of Athlon 64 processors.

chrisf6969 said:
Why would you waste a grand on that CPU, instead YOU CAN DO THIS RIGHT NOW:

buy 4 - 630's, test them for OC'ing....

Out of those 4 I bet you'll get at least one that does 4+ Ghz at 1066Mhz+
then ebay the rest.

Buy $259 x 4 = $1036
Sell 3 @ $212 to unload fast = $636 back in your pocket (could probably sell for more)

so $400 for a super fast 4Ghz processor that better and cheaper than your Extremely Expensive Edition.

or just buy a 3500+ and OC it to spank both options...

:edit instead of new post:

i still cant fathom why you would spend a grand on a CPU when it gets beaten by a cpu that costs $430(3800+)...and gets murdered by it when OCed (not shure how good of an OCer the 3.73 will be...so assuming it can hit 4.2ghz theoretically would get beaten still)

and we still havent even talked about amds top performer...the FX-55...which with decent cooling can hit 3.3Ghz (ive seen 3.6)

oh look at that....it can hit 3.5 ghz with some sort of xreme cooling (WCing, which the intels may need at stock soon enough)...230mhz less than the intel 3.73...AND it does more during those clocks...giving it much better performance

gg

Though the older EE's were built on the Northwood core, slightly shorter pipe, and slightly higher IPC
Pipeline on Northwood is only a 1/3 of the size of the Prescott.

all a64s are better than it in gaming...so if your primary task is gaming go a64....nothing more to it..
Sure, if all you do is game...

Intel needs to up there FSB to roughly what AMD is 2000 (I believe amds at now).....
Dang, what have you been smoking? 2 GHZ FSB... :rolleyes: Yeah right.

Why dont they just Make the Pentium M a desktop chip!!! They could make so much Money....
Shhhhhh.... :cool:

Desert Dog said:

Sure, if all you do is game...

Shhhhhh.... :cool:
actually...2GHz HTT (HTT is to AMD as FSB is to intel)....on the 939 CPUs anyway...

and even if you dont game 100% of the time...AMDs midrange cpus beat intels top of the line cpus in some of tests (not all...i don't even think half...but there about 1/3 of the price...)

:edit to further prove the 2ghz system bus:
bottom right of the processor architecture pic:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9488^9495,00.html
2000MHz system bus

Desert Dog said:
err... hes right, you know... the current HTT link (in other words, the FSB) is currently at 2ghz (1ghz each way) on s939 AMD chips.

edit: drats! beaten!

Desert Dog said:
Where'd you hear that?

Northwood's pipeline is 1/3 shorter...20 stages instead of 30.

I just checked out that anand writeup, ouch. Just not very impressive in consumer apps...

On a good motherboard you can reach the 3.73EE's performance level pretty closely. The combo in my sig did it without any effort.

The new chips are good, I just wish they were a better match against the AMD A64 chips in games. I'm getting pretty sick of the attitute perpetuated by some of AMD fans. It's getting old. Some people like Intel for (insert reason(s)) here and don't care for AMD products. Get over it. It's like the Ford vs. Chevy argument. Pointless and aggrivating at best.

I agree, that if you've got a grand to blow on your computer there are better things to do than get a 3.73EE.

The Pentium M is a good match for the Athlon 64 in most games, but it will take an amazing transformation to make the Pentium 4 a competitive gaming processor, ever.

im happy, most test show my cpu is very close to the the 3.74ee. and mine usually beats it out in most games.:D

chuckm1020 said:
im happy, most test show my cpu is very close to the the 3.74ee. and mine usually beats it out in most games.:D

Me too. I am happy I could do it with the stock cooler, and without any voltage changes. 3.73GHz on air isn't too bad. My temps haven't hardly changed.

Where'd you hear that?

Northwood's pipeline is 1/3 shorter...20 stages instead of 30.

Try 12. I heard it at work from the designers... We do know certain things.

Where did you hear it had 20?

Desert Dog said:
Try 12. I heard it at work from the designers...

According to Intel, the Northwood has 20 stages, 12 would be less than that of an Athlon 64. It has 15ish if I recall correctly. The Prescott has a 31 stage pipeline.

OK I stand corrected. I was mis-informed or I heard it incorrectly (latter is probably the truth) Northwood has 20, Willamette has 10. I don't know where the 12 number came from...

Still, 20 is more than slightly less than 31 of the Prescott...

One other thing, a 2.0 GHZ HTT is a lot different than a 800 MHZ FSB. Completely different technology, otherwise the AMD CPU's would be several times faster than the latest Intel chips not just at parity or slightly faster...

just to nit pick, i believe the willamette has the same execution units as the northwood, just .18 vs .13 and intel upped the cache for the northwood. correct me if you know i'm wrong though.
(it was the p3 that has 10 stages in it's pipeline)

i don't understand why they bother to call this an extreme edition. it's got nothing different tech wise over the standard 6 series. not that i'm for or against the 2mb l3 cache, but at least it differentiated the ee from the rest of the p4 line. is this perhaps intel's way of phasing out the extreme edition? eliminate the differences, and then just ditch it altogether in the next generation?

(cf)Eclipse said:
just to nit pick, i believe the willamette has the same execution units as the northwood, just .18 vs .13 and intel upped the cache for the northwood. correct me if you know i'm wrong though.
(it was the p3 that has 10 stages in it's pipeline)

Correct. Willamette sucked performance wise due to lack of L2 cache and the longer pipeline. Later when chipsets matured and DDR400 came around the Northwood was acclaimed for it's overclockability and later Hyperthreading support. The increase from 256K to 512K cache helped considerably as well.

BTW does anyone know of a vendor whos actually selling the 3.74EE processors? I've looked at all the usual places, Newegg and such and haven't found it. I've been toying with the idea of buying one and a watercooling rig.

Laforge said:

Thanks I've seriously considered going with the 3.74EE. However I have also considered going for an Athlon FX55, although I'd have to change boards and ram to do so.

I can get Athlon FX55's for a bit cheaper than that also. I get them for around $879.00. Although I'd have to special order it.

The main reason I've considered the FX55 of course is because I could get an SLi board right now and a second 6800GT for some really kickass performance.

I am still holding out for a Pentium 4 SLi motherboard. Someone other than Gigabyte has to release one soon. Then I'd like to slap a 3.74EE on there and OC the crap out of it.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I am still holding out for a Pentium 4 SLi motherboard. Someone other than Gigabyte has to release one soon. Then I'd like to slap a 3.74EE on there and OC the crap out of it.

Me too..
I'll never by crap-a-byte boards again.

I know I'm legacy and all, but I'd really like to see an sli board that still has an agp slot, .. ya know, for old times sake. :)

I don't want to have to buy a new all-in-wonder card.

Laforge said:
Me too..
I'll never by crap-a-byte boards again.

I know I'm legacy and all, but I'd really like to see an sli board that still has an agp slot, .. ya know, for old times sake. :)

I don't want to have to buy a new all-in-wonder card.

Supposedly VIA is working on a Pentium 4 chipset that retains the classic AGP slot and it's not that craptastic AGP Express BS that ECS has been doing that castrates your performance.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Supposedly VIA is working on a Pentium 4 chipset that retains the classic AGP slot and it's not that craptastic AGP Express BS that ECS has been doing that castrates your performance.

Hell, I wouldn't mind castrated performance (as long as it's only castrating the AGP card itself.. but I've heard it also brings down the pci x16) I just don't want to have to give up my *sweet* agp card... I don't have a problem relegating it to the position of "3rd" display card stuck in between two nvidia sli'd peg cards...

i've put off my upgrade till the summer...that way I can see Dual-core, the next gen ATi/nvidia cards, and lower latency DDR2 (hopefully)

and by then, nVidia's Crush19 chipset for Intel will be out...mmmmmmmm...SLI for Intel...

Listen to all you kids bickering, why do you care so much about a processor brand, to me I just picked the one thats better, and that was AMD.

rayman2k2 said:
i've put off my upgrade till the summer...that way I can see Dual-core, the next gen ATi/nvidia cards, and lower latency DDR2 (hopefully)

and by then, nVidia's Crush19 chipset for Intel will be out...mmmmmmmm...SLI for Intel...

Well I don't think I'll upgrade to dual core. I think the single core higher end 600 series will be a better gaming CPU. Plus the current CPU's will work on the newer i945/i955 boards when they come out. So I am really itching for a new CPU.

At equal cost, Intel beats AMD at some things and AMD beats Intel at others. Depending on what you are doing, one or the other is a better buy.

But come on, the Extreme Edition chips are a waste of time. They BARELY outperform Intel's faster Prescotts and cost 50-100% more money. That's, to put it nicely, fucking retarded.

And the EE is a god-awful loser in gaming when it comes to price/performance. It costs 3x as much as a 3500+ and is SLOWER in both Half-Life 2 and Doom 3.

http://i.1asphost.com/Cow187/averageCPUHL2.png
http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/pentium4-6xx/doom3.png

CastleBravo said:
At equal cost, Intel beats AMD at some things and AMD beats Intel at others. Depending on what you are doing, one or the other is a better buy.

But come on, the Extreme Edition chips are a waste of time. They BARELY outperform Intel's faster Prescotts and cost 50-100% more money. That's, to put it nicely, fucking retarded.

I have to agree, the EE this round is really worthless, when you can just buy a 600 series with ALL of the same features (except 1066FSB) and OC it to get the higher FSB.

Note that I think the higher-end AMD processors are kind of a waste of time too, though at least the FX processors give you a fully unlocked multiplier and a decent jump over the 3800+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back