So Office Depot jumped the gun and is selling Windows 8 laptops.

JosiahBradley

[H]ard|Gawd
I normally stroll around office depot while doing my laundry (Coin laundry is boring). And normally they have your casual business stuff and older hardware. So I was fairly shocked to see brand new Windows 8 based Toshiba laptops sitting there. One was running an AMD e-1 platform and felt snappy enough and the other was a A6-4400. Because they were not touch screens it had that weird backwards side scrolling like OSX uses for the touchpad. And to confirm these models didn't just have win8 installed by the local tech, the windows key was different and sported the new logo.

Not sure if you could even sell these on ebay for those first time adopters, but it is interesting to watch companies break embargoes, unless of course it was lifted today.

Nothing really unusual, especially since the OS will be available to the general public in less than a week. Best Buy and other B&M stores have Windows 8 laptops/PCs on display for over a week now.

I saw copies at walmart last night. I almost bought one to burn, but I won't give MS any more money until they release a desktop OS for my desktop PC.

I saw copies at walmart last night. I almost bought one to burn, but I won't give MS any more money until they release a desktop OS for my desktop PC.

I think windows 8 is for new hardware with touch capabilities rather than for upgrading from an already great desktop version of windows.

I think windows 8 is for new hardware with touch capabilities rather than for upgrading from an already great desktop version of windows.

I don't want/need touch capabilities on my desktop. I have a tablet/smart phone for that.

Having them on display is not jumping the gun, did you purchase one, or ask someone if you could purchase one? I was in best buy over a week ago and they had tons of windows 8 devices but none of them had prices posted.

Back