So... Not thinking just mATX

Weenis

I said WEENIS, not...
I originally somehow didnt notice the SUGO SG series were all mini ITX and not mATX.. argh

Pretty much all the cases I'd looked at where ITX and not mATX :(((

So now I need to find something in that realm...

It will be housing in all liklihood an i7 3770kl/ EVGA 680GTX SC+ / 1 SSD and like 2 3.5" HDDs and if possible an optical drive of some sort.

Mobo wise I'm down to these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131830
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157294

For case I'm thinking

The silverstone TJ08-E or the ST03 tower... or one of the following Lian Li

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112334
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112222 (leaning toward this if i go with lian li)
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112279

My main concern is keeping everything cool, small, and having my stuff fit.. If I can only

Obviously these are very different cases and setups but.. This will be my first SFF case/system..

So I'm trying to figure out how much of a difference the space savings will make if using it on your desk and heat/cooling of these can be..

I can't recommend the TJ08E enough, but I'm a Silverstone fanboy to the highest order. The AP181 does a pretty good job of cooling the case, then exhaust just becomes an issue, but a good push/pull configuration with either a Corsair or Antec kit will do the trick. I prefer the latter since the tubing is much more flexible.

There are is one or two Sugo mATX cases. Not the best looking of the series, but mATX Sugos none the less. SG02?

Keep in mind I will port over an H60 to cool the CPU (uses a 120mm fan/rad combo)

I originally somehow didnt notice the SUGO SG series were all mini ITX and not mATX.

Whoa. Hold on there, there are multiple mATX sugo cases. They may or may not interest you, but I don't want you to overlook them. Silverstone's mATX sugo series are SG01/02 and the SG03/04.

Only the SG05/06 and SG07/08 are mini-ITX.

Last edited:
Whoa. Hold on there, there are multiple mATX sugo cases. They may or may not interest you, but I don't want you to overlook them. Silverstone's mATX sugo series are SG01/02 and the SG03/04.

Only the SG05/06 and SG07/08 are mini-ITX.

Looks like only the SG02 is still available. I noticed that afterward but yeah.. It looks pretty decent. You'd have to mess with it to upgrade to USB3 and I kinda like how the front USBs exposed looks...

I originally somehow didnt notice the SUGO SG series were all mini ITX and not mATX.. argh

It will be housing in all liklihood an i7 3770kl/ EVGA 680GTX SC+ / 1 SSD and like 2 3.5" HDDs and if possible an optical drive of some sort.

The only thing you'd have to give up to go mITX would be limiting yourself to only 1 HDD and restricting how you do your cooling a bit if you want to do a big OC. Why not just put all that stuff in an SG08 and find a way to get by with 1 SSD and 1 HDD? You could even wedge it into an SG05 if you're not going to try to OC it much.

I'm very happy with the TJ08E if you decide to go mATX, that's a good case, but my next system I'm going smaller...

The only thing you'd have to give up to go mITX would be limiting yourself to only 1 HDD and restricting how you do your cooling a bit if you want to do a big OC. Why not just put all that stuff in an SG08 and find a way to get by with 1 SSD and 1 HDD? You could even wedge it into an SG05 if you're not going to try to OC it much.

I'm very happy with the TJ08E if you decide to go mATX, that's a good case, but my next system I'm going smaller...

Seems like the onboard sound options for mITX are pretty bad? .. Also I don't think I'd be able to fit my H60 in an SG08?

Seems like the onboard sound options for mITX are pretty bad? .. Also I don't think I'd be able to fit my H60 in an SG08?

I've read posts where users have fit a H60. You can probably find some more info if you search for it. Also in regards to the TJ08E, I owned one for a couple days and I can tell you that the build quality is exceptional. If I were to build a matx system that's the case I would use hands down.

You can use a Sugo 01; mount an Antec water cooler into the optical drive bay, cut a hole in the top for fan vent and either 1. have it blowing out and up (but that can fill your case with dust), or use one of those filter housings that snap on and off, I do it that way and use an unfolded piece of 3x3 gauze as my filter which I change every couple of weeks and have the fan blowing into the case. Keeps everything clean. I don't overclock much, so haven't needed much more heat control other than the small exhaust fans. But you can always up the cooler fan to one of the more aggressive Deltas and just use a fan controller to switch between 5volts and 12 volts as needed if heats begin to rise (beware the 12 volt setting if you get a noisy fan, it can sound like a buzz saw, so don't just go out and buy the fastest delta fan you can find, use one of their medium cfm models). Use ssds, I used a crucial 60 for system, corsair 240 for data, and an old Imation 16 for the swap file. The water cooler allows room around the proc for the odd tall memory chips, and the case can fit pretty much any length video card (I've got MSI r6950's in mine). For an optical drive, I'm using external usb slim drive Pioneer blu ray recordables, they're on ebay for from about $70 to over $100 depending on how fast you want them to record. Of course, you can fit the slim drive below the water cooler setup in the optical drive bays if you really want to keep one in there permanently, but I don't use it that often.
I purchased several sugo sg01's on ebay, none cost me more than $50.
Edit; oh yeah, also using Silverstone's power supplies with the short cable sets. First machine I went overboard with a 850 watt, but the rest were all 750, with no problems so far(since last summer when I built them). With no dedicated optical drive or spinning platters, and only a mild overclock to 4 Ghz, I think power wise I'm o.k..

Last edited:
Back