So is anyone here still using a CRT?

Bona Fide

2[H]4U
Actually, more specifically, is there anyone here who still prefers a CRT over an LCD?

I had my old one (Samsung Syncmaster 19") laying in the closet, so I decided what the hell. I hooked it up to my computer, and did notice some immediate differences. For one, the blacks are blacker and the whites are whiter. Color reproduction is definitely better on the CRT, but it's not a night and day difference. (Current monitor is in sig). But the thing is so HEAVY. Just lifting it up on to the desk was quite a task in itself. I much prefer my LCD, but I'm sure that the 0.4ms response time and extremely precise color reproduction still appeal to some people out there. Mainly hardcore gamers and graphic designers.

I switched from an iiyama 19" flatCRT to a samsung syncmaster 730bf LCD recently
I like them both the same, but i suppose if i did go back to the CRT right now i might notice a difference...

CRT for me here. I have a 19" Samsung 98BDF. I would switch to LCD if I didn't game so much, but until then, CRT for me. Size and weight are not an issue for me since I rarely every move my monitor and if I do, I'm a pretty big guy, so it's not to heavy for me.

I prefer CRTs because they're cheaper than the LCDs and perform better in a gaming environment without worry about MS response or anything. I just bought a new CRT, actually, for my dual-screen setup and love it.

crt for gaming, inky blacks, better color, super smooth response... lcd as 2nd monitor for work

I just switched from a 17in crt to a sony FW900 24in widescreen crt, is the best. Reason to stick with CRT is price, performance, practical, and If i can't run a game at a higher resolution i can always scale down without graphicall loss of detail. U do that in a LCD and ill look like junk or it simply wont run a few resolutions. Paid $250 for mine and ill last just as long as the more spensive dell 24'in or maybe even last longer without all that technicall problems. Can play at night without worring of all the backlight or going blind (LCD's are really bright at night)

CRT here, I recently bought a 24" Widescreen CRT (Sony FW900) and wouldnt trade it for anything,awesome picture quality , variety of resolutions available without sacrificing image quality,no viewing angle restrictions,pitch black levels and very smooth framerates & motion thanks to CRTs Sub 1MS response time. As a gamer all of this stuff is important to me, I also didnt like how my 2001FP LCD was just TO bright even with the monitor brightness set on 0.

FW900 thread here.

I still use a CRT (which is pretty good), but not because I want to. I've used a few good LCDs and I'd trade them being much much easier on the eyes for not-as-good color. This thing is killing my eyesight and I'm about ready to make that switch, as soon as I can afford it.

FoxhoundOp said:
I still use a CRT (which is pretty good), but not because I want to. I've used a few good LCDs and I'd trade them being much much easier on the eyes for not-as-good color. This thing is killing my eyesight and I'm about ready to make that switch, as soon as I can afford it.

CRTs can be a pain if you run a low refresh rate but at 85 - 100hz its a much better experiance, I havent had any issues with eye strain yet, I ran my previous 21" CRT at 1600x1200 @ 85hz for over 2 years and it was fine ,Currently running the FW900 at 1680x1050@100hz, But I guess its possible some people's eyes are more sensitive to CRTs as well.

Absolutely. Swapped out my Dell 2405FPW for a Sony FW900. For gaming it's not even a contest. Better blacks, no blurring, seems the refresh rate has made going without vsync far less painful.... no contest. I started hearing things about input delays, I didn't even want to bother to check, it was game over. All IMHO. Everyone is entiled to their opinion. Mine is firmly entrenched in the fact that these guys are right next to each other though. I personally have a certain set of circumstances that work in the CRT's favor as well. Namely the vsync thing and being sesitive to blur. For me, on the CRT I can go without and the tearing isn't too bad... compare that to a display with a bit of blur jumping back and forth from 60 to 30fps.... call me old-school all day long. Won't bother me. I been there and done that, not my thing.

Oh and when a game like FEAR comes out I can go 1600*1024 with some AA as opposed to feeling tied to 1920*1200 every day. I'm an upgrade whore but I just don't feel as strapped. I tweak the games to look the best they can, and I don't tweak with the monitor in mind. A mindset of lets lower x to medium since I absolutely HAVE to HAVE 1920*1200.... lcd lovers do your thing.... I'll be new and sexy when it works for me.

CRT also. I got some Samsung 90something DF 19 inch. Price was the big issue as I didnt see why I should pay extra money for a monitor that could handle gaming as well if not better than an LCD.

Compared to the LCD displays at school, work, relatives and of my laptop, the two 17" CRTs I use on my main system are absolute heaven.

As pointed out earlier, LCDs are usually too bright. I also notice that my eyes get really tired looking at them, possibly because of this bright light and the constant colourshift when moving one's head in front of especially TN TFT displays.

CRTs have this smooth, pixel-free, high-quality image look to them, which is why I would only switch to an LCD if I were paid to do so ^_-

As for the weight of CRTs, even for a girl like me it's not impossible to lift them (though 20" ones are a bit... heavy :eek: ), so you guys should stop your whining :D

Yeah I somewhat cringe when I hear the weight response. Sure there are people that go to a bunch of lans, but I'm not so sure most people aren't just stretching it just to support their cause. I put it on my desk myself. Even my 24" CRT is 92 lbs. If I couldn't lift that once in a blue moon, it's time for me to go to the gym and eat some steak. Guess I'm just an alpha male. Knowing people on the boards are 90% male, I just don't know what to think when I hear people complain about <100lbs. I mean unless you have this monster it's probably a fair deal less, and it shouldn't be hard to find someone to help you if you really aren't a big guy.

Lan goers and people with small desks, please don't be offended. This is for the extremists, that insinuate you need a titanium desk to hold up the box. When it comes to displays I care about the picture... a little heat, weight, or space is not how I pick my display.

When I go to a LAN, I'll bring both my CRTs and my case. If I can't carry that, then I'll just hang myself. It's only three trips to the car and back. Not bad.

Bona Fide said:
So is anyone here still using a CRT?

Actually, more specifically, is there anyone here who still prefers a CRT over an LCD?

You don't read this forum....at all, do you.

:rolleyes:

Still perfectly content with my 955DF; going strong since 2001. I suppose it is big and heavy, but I haven't had to move it since I brought it home from Best Buy four years ago.

texuspete00 said:
Yeah I somewhat cringe when I hear the weight response. Sure there are people that go to a bunch of lans, but I'm not so sure most people aren't just stretching it just to support their cause. I put it on my desk myself. Even my 24" CRT is 92 lbs. If I couldn't lift that once in a blue moon, it's time for me to go to the gym and eat some steak. Guess I'm just an alpha male. Knowing people on the boards are 90% male, I just don't know what to think when I hear people complain about <100lbs. I mean unless you have this monster it's probably a fair deal less, and it shouldn't be hard to find someone to help you if you really aren't a big guy.

Amen. Can't lift a CRT? Little less video games, and a little more excercise.

i have a CRT next to my LCD, used for viewing video mpegs and all that, cuz it scales WAY better

gaming though i still use the LCD, cuz its widescreen :D

I went from a 19" sony trinitron to a 2005fpw, to a replacement 2005fpw, to a 2405, now i'm back with my crt :S

2005fpw - great monitor, but the dead/stuck subpixels and backlighting issues on both of the ones I had bothered me.

2405 - great monitor, but again I had a few dead/stuck subpixels and the buzzing noise coming from the back... and tbh, it was a little too big for me :eek:

I WILL be getting another widescreen lcd.... maybe the next dell model, whenever that comes out :confused:

I prefer the waight factor in the crt 100lbs 24crt. No matter how much the ground shakes it wont tip, don't have to worry bout it being damaged as easy, they are easier to clean screen since LCD's can be ruined easier by chemicals since they are made of syntetic polymers and plastics. There's a lotta petite thiefs out there so they won't be able to drag the screen to theyr truck, I can laugh at em try.

I just switched from my 19 inch viewsonic g90f crt to a 2405fpw for basically 1 reason: the effect on my eyes. It got to the point that my eayes were bloodshot all day even if i used the monitor only for an hour or two. Keep in mind this was at low brightness and 85+ hz. Could not stand it, got lcd, can use it for 10 hrs straight with no effect. Finally. I will agree that crt's are far superior in almost all aspects, except effect on my eyes, at least.

I sitll prefer CRTs over LCDs, despite their weight and power usage. I use a 19" NEC FP912 and a 24" Sony FW900

I'm holding out for OLEDs, whenever that may be.

They have these things called antiglare screens for crt that lower your eye strain, only prob i dont think they go up to 24in

Ive been a crt guy since day one. I've never been able to sacrifice the sharp image just for a few more inches of desktop space. And as for the weight that's never been a issue. Although it might be for some of those pansies who don't eat any meat.

Bona Fide said:

I had my old one (Samsung Syncmaster 19") laying in the closet, so I decided what the hell. I hooked it up to my computer, and did notice some immediate differences. For one, the blacks are blacker and the whites are whiter. Color reproduction is definitely better on the CRT, but it's not a night and day difference. (Current monitor is in sig). But the thing is so HEAVY. Just lifting it up on to the desk was quite a task in itself. I much prefer my LCD, but I'm sure that the 0.4ms response time and extremely precise color reproduction still appeal to some people out there. Mainly hardcore gamers and graphic designers.

Yeah I still prefer CRT's...they are simply better imo. I see no reason to get an LCD at all for the desktop unless CRT's hurt your eyes. They are expensive and imo only the top end ones are acceptable. Not to mention dead pixels....as far as CRT's being heavy I don't see why that would be an issue unless you have a cheap desk (same with the desk space excuse...wtf) or plan to carry around your monitor....plus I use my computer to watch videos, DVD video, and play lots of fast paced games. I don't care how many dell "xxx model" users tell me they have no streaking - they usually do and half the time when they don't they have some VSYNC type of technology enabled to force the vid card to compensate. Not the way I want to compute especially if I am going to spend MORE for one. Personally i'll wait for OLED's or compact CRT before I upgrade to a different tech. One thing is for sure though - cheap CRT's are shit compared to cheaper LCD's. That flip flops when you go higher end though. (and not that far higher end either)

BillLeeLee I also use a FP912SB. Mine is starting to die though....i'll see what NEC support sticks me with. Hopefully the same monitor if not I might have to spring for an FW900 also or maybe a G540 or something. I love this FP912 though, great monitor.

I bought a Westinghouse 17" widescreen LCD, but I still see the benefits of CRTs.

Text is so much easier to read on a LCD, but CRTs have a lot better out of the box color. I like not having flicker to deal with, even at 120hz I know the screen isn't solid on a CRT

This LCD despite only being 240 bucks new doesn't have any dead pixels though

Happy Hopping said:
Still use CRT as a what? Screen or door stopper? :D

Haha...or dust collector extraordinaire?

I'm sticking to my LCD for now. By the time I go to get a new one [probably 2007-2008], LCDs will probably be just as good as CRTs are at color reproduction, so CRTs will be absolutely useless. Oh, and LCDs will have <1ms response times too. :D

After my beloved Nec 991 died it would not hold stable at any res rate under 100mhz any more I sit out on my new monitor quest and it was the Dell 2405 :D

I tried the 2005FPW it was to small and made me want to pan the screen, The Dell 2001fp was nice also but not quite there. The Viewsonic 924x was just to off on colors at times.

I have not come to bury the CRT but to praise it.

I run a dual setup, one is 21" Dell, other is 19" Mitsubishi diamond pro. Love them both to death. Don't plan on converting to lcd anytime soon. :)

As a few people have done in the other thread, I think Im going to get a 24" fw900 widescreen crt and wait till the SED monitors start to come out in 2007, those things look amazing.

17’’ CRT from Dell at the moment, and I love it. I have no good reason to go with LCD. My next monitor will probably be a CRT as well.

texuspete00 said:

True story: my future brother in law (late twenties) bought a computer from Dell. The computer shipped to his office. He packed the computer to his car and when he got home, he realized the computer is too heavy for him to carry to elevator. :shock:. Luckily I was visiting my sister, so I did all the lifting for him. He said, if I didn’t help him, he’d probably end up driving with his computer in the trunk until my next visit.

What’s the average weight of the computer… ~30 lbs? +/- few pounds? What the hell? I told him to get some dumbbells and get some exercise. He bought 2x 4lbs, and said 8lbs were much too heavy for him.

northrop said:
What’s the average weight of the computer… ~30 lbs? +/- few pounds? What the hell? I told him to get some dumbbells and get some exercise. He bought 2x 4lbs, and said 8lbs were much too heavy for him.

Come on...I could lift computers when I was just a kid. This guy really needs to exercise and get some muscle. Some of the larger LCDs would probably be too heavy for him. I'd like to see what he'd do with a FW900. Man, carrying that monitor alone was awful, since there are no handles and such and I didn't have a box.

@Spetznaz Op - Yeah, I really love the FP912, the colors are very rich and I like how it can do 1600x1200@85 Hz. How old is yours though? Mine is 2+ years old, still basically looks like new.

NEC/Mitsu will probably replace it with a refurb - if it's off its warranty (3 years I think?) then I don't know. They don't make that model anymore, which makes me :mad:

Ok now somebody start a show off your CRT setup thread. I bet some of you guys have some really nice crt setups that we should be seeing. The show of your LCD thread does not have to get all the glory.

UrielDagda said:
I just got the HP version of that for $235, thanks to mathesar's FW900 thread. :)
Got mine for $235 also. $225 for the monitor, and I tipped the kid $10 that helped me bring it down to my truck. :p

Back