So I think my h220 pump just died....quick question

bpizzle1

Supreme [H]ardness
So I've been running my h220 for months with no issues at all. Today, I started playing FFXIV and after a few minutes I started getting horrible lag. Loaded up a hardware monitor, and sure enough, my CPU is running at 98C! Anyway, I'm not 100% sure how to make sure it's the pump. The first thing that came to mind was to feel the tubing to see if it felt like there was liquid moving (doesn't feel like it at all). Is that a viable test, or is there something else to do?

Disconnect ALL your psu cables in the rig, connect up the h220 pump to it hardwired to molex or whatever, then short the psu via the 24 pin to power it on and listen for the pump running or not.
If you have the spare parts to do so, you can use a spare psu for safety.
Hope she's not dead, but based on your description it probably is either dead or the pump power got disconnected.

Could also be the PWM brain going full retard. I and at least one other H'er have had the pump for stupid.It may restart fine tomorrow. Check the pump speed off the sensor. Although 98C is normally reached under water with a stalled pump.

Pwm stupidity is why I switched to a D5

After browsing the Swiftech forum, a ton of people have reported the same thing. They were asked to plug the pump directly into the CPU fan header and see what the BIOS said the fan speed was (h220 comes with a 8way PWM splitter that the pump is usually plugged into). When I do this, it is reporting 0 RPM just like everyone else with a broken pump on their boards.

Well since it's under warranty, I'm going to try to get the whole thing replaced.

Well since it's under warranty, I'm going to try to get the whole thing replaced.

That is the only way their RMA usually operates.

Hopefully the pump is just fried and won't restart again. My 35x on my H220 would randomly stall out, with a 3-evenly-spaced-pulse sound coming from it. After being completely unplugged for days at a time, the pump would restart like it was fine. When I RMA'd it, by the time it reached Swiftech it was back to normal and no RMA for me.

Like I said, this is why I went D5. More rugged pump with less to go wrong.

Swiftech's RMAing has been great in my experience. I'd call up their California office and try to find whoever deals with this stuff.

You'll probably have to pay shipping their but they'll cover shipping back.

Back