So I embarrassed myself today...

Wild Weasel

Limp Gawd
I posted my camera "spec" in this thread (canon Ftb), thinking that the wind action was broken. I didn't feel safe opening up the camera in a pitch dark room and screw around with film, so I talked to a friend at school. He's been into photography for quite some time, and today I took the camera with me.

He checks it out, tells me its in really good condition for it age and starts to fiddle with the wind action.

He says "I'm pretty confident that the film didn't even catch, and I would like to open it. Can I open the camera?"
I say sure, and he pops the back door open. What do we see?

No film whatsoever. None. He laughed and I shook my head. I took this camera halfway across B.C taking a ton of pictures with no film loaded at all, and had two full rolls in my bag. Talk about a stylish entry into photography :p

Wow that sucks big time. That is like snapping pictures on a full memory card. Man that totally sucks big time.

dont feel too bad.... done it myself. Didn't go around saying it was broke tho......

Haha. If your friend didn't do that, I wonder how everything would have gone in the makeshift darkroom. How much time would you have spent trying to find the missing film because it had to have fallen out onto the floor when you opened up the back or something...? :D

At least nothing on the camera appears to be broken so far. Now you can load up some film and start taking some pictures. :)

I broke a film advance mechanism myself on a Minolta x700. It isn't really a good idea to rocket through a few frames with the thumb-advance, especially towards the end of a roll... :p

A frind of mine took some pictures and realized when he got home that he never put his CF card in the camera. I almost made that mistake, so I enabled the custom function on my 10D to not let you press the shutter button without a card.

I did a stupid thing myself one day. When I went car shopping, I brought my camera with me to take pics of the cars. I got the camera out and turned it on to find that I left the CF card on my desk. I finished looking at cars, and then on the way home I remembered that I kept my old 256MB card in the camera bag for a spare.
36852880.jpg

I swear that there was film in the camera the whole time though. I remember putting film in there before the trip, and then leaving the camera on a shelf when I came back. So, of course, when the winder wouldnt 'wind' I thought it was broken.

bleh, oh well. Live and learn :p

Ah, young one, you have learned your first lesson.

Your best learnig experiences are from your worst blunders

Every great photographer will have their share of screw-ups. You'll forget to charge your batteries, take your lens cap off your Holga, leave your exposure compensation under two stops and leave your ISO settings too high. All of these flubs will seem horrible at first, but will eventually help you remember exactly what you should do.

Back