So I cant just transfer my music from one touch to another?

fallguy

2[H]4U
I have a 1st gen 16gb, which is now too small. Just bought a 2nd gen 32gb. All I want to do is transfer my music+playlists to my new touch. Got both hooked up in itunes, my new one is empty. I try and drag/drop music from my old one, to my new one, and I cant. Ugh! Whats the deal? Am I not allowed to do this?

Sadly no. Not without third party software.

It's extremely aggravating having to redo all of my playlists and music every time I upgrade the firmware, so I feel your pain.

Without a third party app, you can only go from PC -> Ipod. So you would have to connect to the new Ipod to your PC with your music library and sync it to the new Ipod. Ipod -> PC and Ipod -> Ipod is not possible in itunes.

So...on your computer is the music and playlists in iTunes? If so you just need to tell it to sync to the new one.

No, its not in itunes. I have a MP3 folder where I ripped all my music, and then painstakingly transferred it over to my touch. Guess Ill be looking for an app to transfer it to my PC. Or I can just redo it all, but that takes forever. Thanks for the help.

Isn't it possible to set both iPods to hard drive mode (or whatever its called) to enable the drag and drop?

No, because there is no hard drive mode with the iPod touch... Unless you happen to jailbreak it. In fact, the iPod touch database (and the iPhone's) is heavily encrypted by Apple and every time they do a major upgrade to the OS (2.1, 3.0, etc.) they change it and break all 3rd party music jukebox app compatibility. All in all I've been pretty happy with my 2nd gen 16GB touch but it took the folks at MediaMonkey a good while to finally resurrect MM's compatibility w/iPhone/touch if you updated them to OS 3.0 (they finally got it working smoothly last week I think).

I hadn't even bothered to do the update personally but I will now that MM's working w/it, looking forward to copy/paste and I'm also looking at this Kensington Bluetooth dongle for the car that might be an interesting way to hook it up rather than using my regular mount/aux in cable.

Anyway, it seems silly but this is one of the reasons I'll probably avoid Apple whenever I feel like upgrading my touch (which probably won't be anytime soon), the Zune HD is looking pretty good so hopefully it catches on and MS continues to compete in that category... The only other legitimate contenders when I got my touch several months ago were clumsier Archos players for which I'd even have to buy the web browser separately, bleh, and you can obviously forget about apps...

Though frankly I go for long stretches w/o using most of the apps I've got... Been playing Worms lately but that's about it. Mostly I just use Safari/FB/e-mail, all of which I do on my cheap Sony phone as well... But reading sites at lunch is nicer on the iPod's scren. I do get some good use out of Google Maps and the Metro/public transpo routing apps I have when I travel though.

I highly recommend MediaMonkey btw... I'm not sure it'll let you pull stuff out of the iPod and back to your PC, probably does (though that should be simple enough to do w/iTunes if you follow a logical sync order), but in my opinion it blows the doors off iTunes when it comes to handling and sync'ing your music library. Gives you tons of options but a ton of control over everything (while remaining simple to use), unlike iTune's 'their way or the highway' approach to organization, etc. Even the simple stuff like album art tagging is so much more effective in MM.

Last edited:
Haven't heard of that one... I did hear about one called CopyTrans Manager that claimed 3.0 support about a month earlier than MM did but a lot of the folks on the MM boards were complaining about a few bugs with it and apparently it just sync'd painfully slow even when it did sync properly... So I'd take any claims of 3.0 compatibility with a grain of salt. A few of those 3rd party apps just update the iTunes library and force a sync thru there even so they're not really doing a whole lot on that end.

No, its not in itunes. I have a MP3 folder where I ripped all my music, and then painstakingly transferred it over to my touch. Guess Ill be looking for an app to transfer it to my PC. Or I can just redo it all, but that takes forever. Thanks for the help.

This is probably trite... Just use itunes?

Yeah I mean, if you just install iTunes and tell it to sync off your old touch it should copy all the tracks on the device to the library on your computer (should being the operative word, can't ever really tell w/iTunes), then you can go on and use anything else you prefer to continue sync'ing your new iPod... Although it's often recommended that you do at 'least one preliminary sync via iTunes to initialize the db on the device and other stuff that might not be properly set if it doesn't communicate w/iTunes beforehand... Gotta love Apple and the way they fight the power. :rolleyes:

I don't get the problem. Do all your playlists/etc in itunes, then just sync pc -> ipods

I have a 1st gen 16gb, which is now too small. Just bought a 2nd gen 32gb. All I want to do is transfer my music+playlists to my new touch. Got both hooked up in itunes, my new one is empty. I try and drag/drop music from my old one, to my new one, and I cant. Ugh! Whats the deal? Am I not allowed to do this?

You're doing it wrong.

Sync the old iPod in iTunes and your playlists and songs should transfer from that iPod to your computer. If not, check your sync settings in the Music tab. Once done, eject the old iPod, plug in your new iPod, and configure it to sync the same playlists and songs you synced to the old iPod. Hit Sync. Done.

If you're not using iTunes, well, you're on your own. There's a reason Apple provides it.

Back