So here is the borg potential, how can I do this?

Dan UCF

[H]ard|Gawd
At my work we have several 2 GHz Dual CPU Xeon Machines with 1 gig of ram (the older Xeons with no HT)
Now we've gotten in some new goodies, two boxes with Dual 3.6 Ghz Xeons with HT and 6 gigs of ram, and another dual 3.2 with I think 4 gigs of ram.

What I want to do is crunch for team 33, but I have limitations. I work 9-5, so pretty much I just want to crunch at that time, and I want to do it in offline mode. I want to take the completed data from all PCs and put it on a thumb drive to take home and upload and download the new work units.
Can someone point me in the right direction to figure out how to configure everything?

Also with Hyper Threading enabled computers should I do one client per CPU, or two?

You can run the program straight from a pen drive, so thats probably the easiest way (console version) surely it would make more sense to have them fold 5-9 (out side work hours) and then not during the day?

To get it offline, you just need to choose the ask before connection option when youre doing the config.

If I do it in console mode then they'll run off some micro OS? I'd prefer to run in the Windows operating system because thats what needs to be running non stop. If possible as a service in the background would be ideal.

If I am reading your question correctly then this should be what you're looking for. Step 3 in particular will configure the console to install as a service. The downside to this however is that it will try to send and recieve work at all times.

As for the HT machines, you can setup two separate folding configs and use the -local switch as explaing in the FAQ's. You'll see about a 10 to 15% increase in productivity so the choice is up to you.

If you have permission from your boss (you do, right?) then you could just run it all the time. No permission, no borgy.

Otherwise, do what p[H] said, just enter "no" when it says "ask before sending/recieving work". That'll do it.

Dan UCF said:
If I do it in console mode then they'll run off some micro OS? I'd prefer to run in the Windows operating system because thats what needs to be running non stop. If possible as a service in the background would be ideal.
Console as in Dos box, not console as in another operating system :)

unhappy_mage said:
If you have permission from your boss (you do, right?) then you could just run it all the time. No permission, no borgy.
Yes make sure you have permission to borg em. It is aginst stanfords rules to run F@H on a system that you do not have permission to install it.

Herulach said:
Console as in Dos box, not console as in another operating system :)
Yeah, you definitely want to run the console version in the DOS-like box. If you've got permission, I would just run the client 24x7 and not worry about it.

I have to run the idea by the boss, it'll probably be ok if it runs when the PCs arn't in use (almost never) but the work units would need to be uploaded from another location so as not to be using the internet bandwidth of the building, doesn't matter how little it might be.

If it's OK with the boss, that'll be the way to go. You can set the client to ask before sending and receiving so that it doesn't do it with the internet connection at the location. I would also set it up with the -local flag so that you can more easily transfer the directory to another computer for sending and receiving. Good luck!

Back