So HDMI 2.1/VRR is basically dead for another year at least

bigbluefe

[H]ard|Gawd
PNY accidentally put up their Geforce 2080 page early, and we have confirmation that the next generation Nvidia cards don't support HDMI 2.1. Of course, we all expected this, since Nvidia are evil cocksuckers who want to sell their shitty G-Sync modules instead of do the right thing. So basically, you've got shit performance from AMD or no ability to use OLED TVs with VRR with Nvidia. Good job, Earth, you fucking pile of trash.

https://share.dmca.gripe/biU1TikFxVR3Yvy0.pdf

https://share.dmca.gripe/4g7tVzGrKvylFyQV.png

https://share.dmca.gripe/m41G68CNUdTqCxkb.png

I doubt nvidia will EVER support HDMI-based VRR. HDMI 2.1 bandwidth is a different story, if Turing really doesn't support it(not even with updates later) that's very embarrassing.

I'm wouldn't be surprised if nVidia was to hamper the move in order to sell more gsync monitors which I feel are not only lacking but over priced. I'm not super up on VRR, HDMI 2.1 but from the tone I can tell this is not good.

At any rate, I do not plan to replace my 4K@60hz Samsung KS8000 anytime soon. Amazing size and picture. I plan on buying a 2080 Ti here in the coming days. I am almost positive that the 2080 Ti will max my 60hz@4K out very very nicely.

PNY accidentally put up their Geforce 2080 page early, and we have confirmation that the next generation Nvidia cards don't support HDMI 2.1. Of course, we all expected this, since Nvidia are evil cocksuckers who want to sell their shitty G-Sync modules instead of do the right thing. So basically, you've got shit performance from AMD or no ability to use OLED TVs with VRR with Nvidia. Good job, Earth, you fucking pile of trash.

https://share.dmca.gripe/biU1TikFxVR3Yvy0.pdf

https://share.dmca.gripe/4g7tVzGrKvylFyQV.png

https://share.dmca.gripe/m41G68CNUdTqCxkb.png

Woa slow down there sparky. HDMI 2.1 was NEVER destined for anything in 2018. HDMI 2.1 compliance test specification won't even be completed until Q4.

Woa slow down there sparky. HDMI 2.1 was NEVER destined for anything in 2018. HDMI 2.1 compliance test specification won't even be completed until Q4.
A few tv's support vrr already though.

A few tv's support vrr already though.

That doesn't mean it is HDMI 2.1. I won't consider anything not running at the spec speed of 48 Gbps as HDMI 2.1. That takes dedicated silicon that isn't even manufactured yet.

Then it was a really stupid time to release new GPUs, wasn't it?

Let's face it even IF the Geforce 2000 series did come with HDMI 2.1, they would still lack HDMI VRR anyways. Like Sancus said I don't ever see nvidia allowing support for VRR through HDMI unless they develop some HDMI gsync module :cry:

GPU release cycles never have and never will revolve around slowly developed interconnect standards.

I expect HDMI 2.1 to be a part of TSMC’s 7nm FinFET that has taped-out, for 2019 NVIDIA and AMD GPU's.

GPU release cycles never have and never will revolve around slowly developed interconnect standards.

I expect HDMI 2.1 to be a part of TSMC’s 7nm FinFET that has taped-out, for 2019 NVIDIA and AMD GPU's.

Yeah, but that's my point. They should be designed around standards. "Designed around standards." Pretty obvious, isn't it?

VRR can be done on HDMI 2.0 as well so in theory they could support it. Whether they will is a whole another matter, it's not like they have implemented any feature requests like integer scaling.

This is infuriating. Even if these fuckers supported 2.1, they would still need to add vrr option in nvcp for these monitors.
Freesync monitors are so much cheaper than gsync stuff. And there is much more of them

That doesn't mean it is HDMI 2.1. I won't consider anything not running at the spec speed of 48 Gbps as HDMI 2.1. That takes dedicated silicon that isn't even manufactured yet.
Fair call, it's still a start for those who can use it and opens the door for adoption, enough for consoles of today sadly.
I'm also waiting for both camp TV and camp AMD to deliver the goods next year, I pray to the God of electricity, Tesla, that low input lag is afforded to all worthy challengers.

Yeah, but that's my point. They should be designed around standards. "Designed around standards." Pretty obvious, isn't it?

The exact same thing happened when Pascal released where Nvidia had this:

DisplayPort 1.2 Certified, DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 Ready

listed in their I/O specs for 10-series cards. Those DP specifications were out, but the certification process wasn't, and since then, they released a BIOS flash utility for earlier production cards that did not already have this enabled.

And it would be equally insane to release anything in 2019 because by then displayport.vnext will exist as a mostly complete paper standard. And we probably shouldn't release anything in 2020 or 2021 or 2022, or etc either because each year some other new shiney will be on the horizon that will take at least a year to implement; so until we ban any progress in standards for a year or two we should just stick with 2016 GPUs even though we could make something much faster (or cheaper for the same performance) today.

/infinite_facepalms

There will always be some new standard/feature/etc whose extended time between the standard being released and the first hardware implementations exist takes long enough for yet another new standard to be complete on paper and be ready to start working up an implementation over the next 6-24 months.

They are going to do a new GPU gen in 2019 on 7nm TSMC most likely anyway, since Turing is 12nm.

I suspect the rollout of full HDMI 2.1 will take a long time (4-5 years). We will see features added year by year. VRR and eARC will be added in 2019, (limited) HFR the year after that, full HFR and other specs the year after that...etc. Current HDMI 2.0b requires 18gbps and cables that can do full bandwidth over longer than 5M distances are limited and fiber cables are expensive still. Full fat HDMI 2.1 theoretically can do 48Gbps which will require a long time for circuitry and cabling to catchup. Fiber will most certainly be required for anything over 2M at that bandwidth and image how hot the interconnects will get.

If anything were to accelerate the process, my guess would be Samsung in desperation if their QD emissive displays are delayed and can't compete with OLED at high end market. VIzio is offering almost same value at mid-high range market and the Chinese manufacturers are dominating the low-end.

175 inch MicroLED TV LOLOLOL that is a step in the wrong direction man. Samsung already did 146 we need to go lower from there not higher.

175 inch MicroLED TV LOLOLOL that is a step in the wrong direction man. Samsung already did 146 we need to go lower from there not higher.

Jumbotron's are what you make when you've got a technology that's not practical to use to make even the largest class of conspicuous consumption home TVs; and from what I've read it's questionable if microLED can ever be scaled down enough to serve as pixels in even an 70-80" class TV. Realistically by the mid/late 2020's they might be able to make them small and affordable enough to make HDR LCD backlights that have enough lighting zones that halo effects stop being a major visual quality issue.

MicroLED's are never coming to desktop monitor sizes. In five years, virtually all high end PC monitors will be OLED.

I'm bummed about the BFGD being so expensive. I played on it at CES and it was amazing. I'm also bummed that HDMI 2.1 didn't make it into Turing. I was hoping for 2019 to enable the BFGD experience with Samsung QLEDs and HDMI 2.1 (4K120 VRR).

Looks like that's more like 2020 than 2019.

Bummer.

The exact same thing happened when Pascal released where Nvidia had this:

listed in their I/O specs for 10-series cards. Those DP specifications were out, but the certification process wasn't, and since then, they released a BIOS flash utility for earlier production cards that did not already have this enabled.
I don't think HDMI 2.1 is just a firmware update away this time around.
Vega Nvidia has their GSYNC TVs coming. Only $5,000 euros which translates as "too rich for my blood."
https://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/59237/nvidia-bfgd-lancering-in-q1-2019-prijs-tussen-4--en-5000-euro
BFGD are not televsions; they're monitors.

Back