Sniper mechanics (scoring) in bf3

I was inspired by the knife discussion relating to fps games a few threads down. I wish more fps games would adapt a different scoring system for the sniper class. While I don't want realism because it is a game, I think they should adapt the scoring system to reflect misses. Snipers pride themselves on their accuracy yet time and again so many people use the sniper rifle as a semi auto assault weapon. I think you should lose points for every miss.
It's just a pet peeve of mine to see people just ripping off a magazine worth of shots and getting one kill.

It's because sniperz are the "cool" perk in every game! They are like these guys that headshot and 1 shot kill everyone! In any game with selectable perks, you know that sniper is going to be instantly full. Especially as it's a stupidly easy way of getting a high kill to death ratio and proving you're "badass" because you camp a window and shoot people over a river where they cant see you.

They should store up all their XP or whatever, and then if someone knifes them (auto 1 hit kill) then the sniper gets to keep the amount equal to their hit percentage since they spawned. 100% means they don't lose any. 10% means they lose 90% the knifer keeps the rest! If the sniper ragequits or moans then the knifer gets a +1000% bonus. :D

I wish they would make doing actual recon as a recon more rewarding. Ending the game with less than 2k points when I basically enabled my team to win while jets that spent the whole match dogfighting get much more kinda makes me wonder what's the point... I guess winning is reward in itself but it sure feels less so when you're always taking one for the team.

I'm the designated recon, but not a sniper (20-25% average accuracy is pretty bad). The closest i can call myself is Marksman. You really can't help when you're sniping at 200 meters as opposed to scouting with the MAV.

If you pick the recon, chances are, you're not in it for the points. That's probably why it isn't very popular and i like it that way.

Would like some enhancements tho:

#MAV being able to scramble vehicle electronics (i.e. make the tanks cameras blind for two seconds, or make the gas pedal stop working for 1 second).

#Allowing the MAVs EMP gun to enduce a suppression effect.

#binoculars that lets you laser designate a target. Javelines will go where the laser is pointing instead of locking onto a vehicle. Makes it really hard to shoot an aircraft since it doesn't lock and you're mostly pointing at air, but it does let you aim the javeline at buildings and infantry.

Getting headshots at 800-1300m is worth them getting the points. Its not like this is ARMA.

That said, sniping provided me the with the majority of my hard level grinding.

Getting tired of being put on a team where 5 guys all camp out sniping and we cant hold a flag for a minute because we are basically short 5 guys. 1 or 2 snipers max is all we need, and they should be mobile, responding to held objectives etc. Nothing worse that two guys camping a flag waiting for kills on a flag that we've held unchallenged for the last 10 minutes.

I was inspired by the knife discussion relating to fps games a few threads down. I wish more fps games would adapt a different scoring system for the sniper class. While I don't want realism because it is a game, I think they should adapt the scoring system to reflect misses. Snipers pride themselves on their accuracy yet time and again so many people use the sniper rifle as a semi auto assault weapon. I think you should lose points for every miss.
It's just a pet peeve of mine to see people just ripping off a magazine worth of shots and getting one kill.
These types of players will get themselves killed anyway. They'll either run out of ammo or give away their position before they kill someone. Even if they get one or two lucky kills in, they're not likely to survive for much longer than that.

At least its not as bad as "sniping" in MW3 :p

My SPM is significantly better as recon when using a SKS + foregrip + 3.4x + silencer (only use this at close-medium range obviously). As you can imagine this setup involves a good amount of missing and I purposely miss / prefire around corners to provide suppressing fire for my teammates (20 round magazine is important here). It's much more fun to me than sitting back 500m trying to take out a guy dumb enough to stand still for 3 seconds.

And drop a MAV on a building near the mcom /flag for bonus points!

[evo];1038374151 said:
Getting tired of being put on a team where 5 guys all camp out sniping and we cant hold a flag for a minute because we are basically short 5 guys. 1 or 2 snipers max is all we need, and they should be mobile, responding to held objectives etc. Nothing worse that two guys camping a flag waiting for kills on a flag that we've held unchallenged for the last 10 minutes.

If anything snipers that dont help their team should score less. I too hate that they are useless and do nothing to help their team.

[evo];1038374151 said:

This is one of the reasons I just stopped playing BF3 entirely. That and my card can't handle it on High and I don't want to deal with any lower, lol.

If someone is using an SKS I would expect a lot of semi auto fire going all over the place. :p

Though in games like these the snipers are more like designated marksmen so the class is fine how it is.

I wish they would make doing actual recon as a recon more rewarding. Ending the game with less than 2k points when I basically enabled my team to win while jets that spent the whole match dogfighting get much more kinda makes me wonder what's the point... I guess winning is reward in itself but it sure feels less so when you're always taking one for the team.

I feel this way about being a squad medic sometimes.

Being a USEFUL and SUCCESSFUL sniper is part of the challenge.

Defensively its easier, but its similar on offense as well.

-Lob your MAV in a useful and HIDDEN area.
-Being a useful sniper, 90% depends on knowing the map.
-Know the choke points, know the good vantage points.
-Know how to keep an eye on the MCOMS and manage choke points at the same time.
-Get used to killing running targets, don't be afraid to body shot if you don't think you're gonna get a clean kill. Wounded target is better then a full target, may just be what gets this guy killed from a stray grenade.
-Go for 300 meter or less kills, anything higher is just greedy and pointless.

I often will get 1/3 of my kills defensively killing targets trying to arm the MCOM. I Typically get 15-35 kills on a 75 ticket defense game.

Offensively kills are not as important and your goals / strategy are going to still be similar.
I Typically get 10-20 kills on a 75 ticket offense game.

-If you know the map you'll always have a good vantage point on an enemy MCOM, the idea is to cover your team while they go for it. Since there is no in game voice (F U EA) you can't communicate with random players so covering them is your best alternative.
-Don't use the same vantage point twice if you die from a sniper.
-If you're being fired on by a sniper and don't know where from, get the MAV out.
-Switch to your MAV frequently to get an idea of where units are choking together and coming from and to alert your team.

I'm alright with the system. I don't get the most points, but it's satisfying getting a nice kill and seeing the sniper bonus points pop up.

If anything snipers that dont help their team should score less. I too hate that they are useless and do nothing to help their team.

I was watching this snipers thing on the history channel and I get the impression(not military) that the kinds of battles BF3 presents aren't all that sniper friendly. Watching the history channel thing they're advance assault, scouting, or defensive holds.

I agree all sniper actions need to be team actions, but unfortunately for snipers you need a decent captain to be constantly updating objectives for that too work. Oddly Homefront was very at this. Homefronts key value to its multiplayer was auto generating objectives. Too bad the rest of it was shit.

[evo];1038374151 said:

This. Forget changing the scoring for sniper classes. Get rid of sniper classes all together. In games like BF3, where teamwork and assaulting objectives are the emphasis, the sniper classes are useless. Like evo said, most morons pick the sniper class and then sneak around looking for a hiding spot only to get 10 kills in a round. Sniper are just the same as a bunch of AFK's on your team. Noobs need to grow some balls, pick another class and help take/hold flags and win the round.

its easy to spot the people that havnt played with decent snipers here.
i play recon about 50% of the time, and im the only damn person on my team taking mcoms, or racking up kills, or defending an area.

its easy to spot the people that havnt played with decent snipers here.
i play recon about 50% of the time, and im the only damn person on my team taking mcoms, or racking up kills, or defending an area.

There's a difference between sniper wannabes and actual recons. Recons tend to be very good at extremes.

#1 M98 = Very long range (Needs real snipers. Wannabes need not apply)
#2 MAV + Mod0 = Long to Mid range support (These are Marksmen, not snipers)
#3 ??? = Mid range (Honestly have no idea how to make a sniper good at mid range, i can use the M98, Mod0 and Shotgun slugs at mid range, but other classes can do it better)
#4 TUGS + Shotgun = Close quarters (Preferrably 870, *very* effective for area denial)

We need #2 and #4, but waaaaay too many noobs are going for #1. You can use a recon in most situations, but sticking to #1 does not a good Recon make.

There's a difference between sniper wannabes and actual recons. Recons tend to be very good at extremes.

#1 M98 = Very long range (Needs real snipers. Wannabes need not apply)
#2 MAV + Mod0 = Long to Mid range support (These are Marksmen, not snipers)
#3 ??? = Mid range (Honestly have no idea how to make a sniper good at mid range, i can use the M98, Mod0 and Shotgun slugs at mid range, but other classes can do it better)
#4 TUGS + Shotgun = Close quarters (Preferrably 870, *very* effective for area denial)

We need #2 and #4, but waaaaay too many noobs are going for #1. You can use a recon in most situations, but sticking to #1 does not a good Recon make.

All I ever seem to find on my team is wannabe #1's. And lets be honest, while great in combat, even great ones arent that useful in this game.

I do however give all kinds of respect to the folks who are truly mobile, running between objectives with a handgun and going prone for a few seconds to take out the guy (usually me) arming the MCOM or capping a flag before getting up again and looking for something else important to do.

i play as #3 all the time. L96 + 4x + straight pull + flash supp. and G18 supp. and i throw out the TUGS all the time.

ive gotten good enough with the 4x that i can out shoot most snipers trying to hit me with an 8x and 12x. that glare is like sending up a giant flare on their location.

[evo];1038385590 said:
All I ever seem to find on my team is wannabe #1's. And lets be honest, while great in combat, even great ones arent that useful in this game.

I don't know where a #1 is supposed to be to be honest. I've done my share of sniping, but after seeing those youtube videos, i'm pretty much a #2 at best. Lately tho, i've been going into a lot of TDMs so my recon #4's getting a lot of use

i play as #3 all the time. L96 + 4x + straight pull + flash supp. and G18 supp. and i throw out the TUGS all the time.

ive gotten good enough with the 4x that i can out shoot most snipers trying to hit me with an 8x and 12x. that glare is like sending up a giant flare on their location.

Never could get the hang of using a recon for #3Mid range. I usually switch out to an assault class with a G3. #3Mid range is borderline too close for a bolt action, and borderline too far for a shotgun, my G3 gun has both. It's just preference tho.:p

The rare times I use the recon class, I don't use a bolt action. I either use the Mk11 with the ACOG or the M14 with an ACOG. ACOGs are nice since they give you some zoom but no glint. I throw out the TUGS and radio beacon then go cap flags just like an assault class. However, my recon kit time is less than 10% of my total play time.

I tend to be #2/#3 with SV98. I trade off with Engineer depending on the map/situation/team needs.

I like using the SKS when playing recon. The L96 is also nice and enjoy using it. However when I play recon Ill either noob it up with some USAS or the Mp7. :p

Back