snakelights

I would imagine they are decently bright. I'm pretty sure they are leds which use very little power, so probably doesn't drain the battery to bad.

I saw one in futureshop the other day. There are a few things I noticed about it:

1) It's weight is entirely supported by the USB port. So if the port is loose-fitting the light will flop around alot.

2) It has a very narrow focus. When I held it about 10" from the keyboard it would only light up the center of it (T,F,V,B,N,J,U,Y). Maybe it was a little bigger, but not much. I suppose if the lights were off more of the peripheral light would illuminate the rest of the keyboard.

Other than that I thought it was really neat. The light was VERY white and had a nice "crispness" to it. Almost like those HID lights you see on the BMW's.

For the $20 I don't think you could really go wrong.

Riley

I had one, i'm guessing it was the same as the one Skud was talking about, very cool, but it is lost now. or maybe it ran away? anyways, the light, like Skud said was kind of small, but for a laptop (i had mine on a desktop, though my keyboard has laptop keys) i think it would be fairly discreet. I paid $20 at KompUSSR

just bought one of these USB lights, which should be arriving tomorrow, so when I get it i'll fill you in with what I think.

Also, wohoo i've fixed my wireless router so i can now post on [H]ardforum again :)

Originally posted by fatbob_158
I had one, i'm guessing it was the same as the one Skud was talking about, very cool, but it is lost now. or maybe it ran away? anyways, the light, like Skud said was kind of small, but for a laptop (i had mine on a desktop, though my keyboard has laptop keys) i think it would be fairly discreet. I paid $20 at KompUSSR
I stole it.

I have one. Best Buy impulse item. Suprisingly, it works really well. It's bright enough to light up all the keys when you run it up the back of the LCD housing and shine it down from above the LCD. I think mine is a Targus

I bought one as part of my order from one of those cheap places like Directron or Compgeeks (I forget where).

It works okay...light output is good enough to find your keys on an Airplane or something like that.

As someone else above wrote, it can "wobble" a bit inside the USB port, which is really annoying....the benefit of the new Powerbooks, IBM T-series, etc. is they have the built-in light, which is definately a better way to go.

got mine a few days ago, cost just over £2, and its not too bad really.
Lights up most of my Inspiron's keyboard, doesnt get really hot either, and it is quite a true, white light.
I'll give it a proper test at the next lan i goto, as thats when i've found the light level to be too dark.

I have one that i use when i'm typing in bed (like i'm doing now) ... it's very light, so not to worry about the weight on your USB port, i didn't notice any diference concerning battery life time either.

The light (at least mine) illuminates the whole keyboard, it's really helpfull when u're in the dark, i like it alot.
Btw, mine came in a gift bundle with my laptop (mouse+light+backpack+webcam).

Edit: here is a pretty crappy photo of the light it makes. it's a bad photo, i had to take it with my Nokia 3650. http://define.no.sapo.pt/Imagem12.jpg

I bought one at a local computer show. Lights up pretty good and for sure gets the job done. Like some one else said it is great for webcams.

Back