Smuggler Caught With 420 M.2 SSDs Strapped to His Stomach

erek

[H]F Junkie
Shake my head

"Normally, traffickers try to smuggle high-value goods, such as processors or graphics cards. A recent attempt to conceal 70 graphics cards among 617 pounds of live lobster comes to mind. On the contrary, this SSD smuggler opted to sneak in lower-value hardware instead. It isn't the first time we've seen M.2 SSDs transported into China. A recent bust from this year detained a man that hid 84 SSDs inside his scooter. M.2 SSDs still contain metallic parts, so it's close to impossible to get past metal detectors without raising the alarm with the metal detectors.

Instead of hiding the SSDs inside a package, the perpetrator opted to tape the drives around his body for a bigger haul. The seized bounty amounted to 420 M.2 drives, equal to a combined value of approximately $32,984.94. At $78.53 a piece, the offender could be smuggling 1TB or 2TB PCIe 4.0 drives.

For that matter, smuggling hardware from Macau or Hong Kong bypasses the customs duties that the Chinese government applies to the goods. As a result, the individuals who hire the smugglers see greater profit margins when they resell on platforms such as Goofish.

There's a big grey market in mainland China for consumer electronic devices, including computer hardware. Therefore, the smuggling is unlikely to stop. On the other hand, smugglers are just thinking up more creative methods to get goods into mainland China."

1688736086319.png

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/smuggler-caught-with-420-m2-ssds-strapped-to-his-stomach

smuggling stuff into china is not news, just a normal tuesday...
The shock is that it isn't drugs, animals, exotic foods, human trafficking, espionage... but technology.
I haven't seen computer technology with a high price-value worth smuggling since the 1980s.

Although, it has become less of a shock these days considering the dark cyberpunk future we are living in, but you get it.
Life is cheap... but toilet paper wood eggs technology is expensive. :borg:

There’s no shock or surprise about it?
no. im pretty sure you posted about the first two links in march/may when they happened....

The shock is that it isn't drugs, animals, exotic foods, human trafficking, espionage... but technology.
I haven't seen computer technology with a high price-value worth smuggling since the 1980s.

Although, it has become less of a shock these days considering the dark cyberpunk future we are living in, but you get it.
still not shocked, its been happening for years and posted about before.

Just wondering what the punishment will be for this uber-stupid transgression ?

Probably something barbaric like public castration, or death by 1000's of scorpion stings while his family watches, after which the gov't will install an 8K, uber-HD digital player and recording of said punishment in their house, with a mandate that every family member must watch it at least twice a day for the rest of their lives....

Just wondering what the punishment will be for this uber-stupid transgression ?

Probably something barbaric like public castration, or death by 1000's of scorpion stings while his family watches, after which the gov't will install an 8K, uber-HD digital player and recording of said punishment in their house, with a mandate that every family member must watch it at least twice a day for the rest of their lives....
I'll bet the guy was a decoy for the guy behind him, who was smuggling in cocaine or heroin. :D

I'm pretty sure SSDs aren't illegal in china, the only reason to smuggle them is to avoid taxes.

I'm pretty sure SSDs aren't illegal in china, the only reason to smuggle them is to avoid taxes.
Certain technology has become illegal from other nations, and as I said, technology is expensive - this includes the taxes.

Back