Smartpower 2.0 500w Enough?

shmitty

Gawd
Hi guys!
So I ordered a bundle deal on a AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition and a ASUS M4A785-M mATX motherboard. I plan to buy around a 100 dollar video card and 4gb's of ram in the near future, and reuse the rest of the stuff in my sig. Should I also plan on getting a larger PSU or will my old one handle it? I will most definitely overclock this and possibly the video card so, I'm guessing I'll need an upgrade come to think of it.. If I do what is an expensive option? I do however see sub 500w( I know wattage doesn't mean everything but its a good go by) PSU's being recommended on the Gen Hard forums.

As linked from Newegg

Output +3.3V@32A, +5V@35A, +12V1@17A, +12V2@19A, [email protected], +5VSB@2A
Efficiency 70%(min.) at full and typical loads, 115V/230Vac

and here's the egg link if you need more info.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817103937

Last edited:
Too old man your Smart Power PSU. I wouldn't bother resuing a power supply with no active PFC with that setup. Antec EarthWatts EA650 for $80

Definitely not the best idea. The Earthwatts 650W that HardwareGuru recommended would be a good choice, and you probably won't find any lower-wattage PSUs that are still adequate for your rig for a substantially lower cost, so I would go with that if I were you.

okay Zero 1 more shot, if I'm going to buy something I guess it'll have to be Modular
Mushkin Enhanced 580w Active PFC PSU its 20$ off and looks great! I seen where you commented a couple of times on a higher watt Mushkin that didn't have the active PFC saying it was mediocre, I'm guessing that was driven by the manufacturer.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817812004

Modular is important I'll go up to 100$ but of course I'm going to try and find a cheaper option first. I had a Hyper 630w that fried on me and when I got the replacement I just sold it as new to a buddy because I went out and bought this Antec on sale at best buy and decided I would stick with it, after I made that move I regretted it but couldn't see shelling out the cash when the one I had worked fine.

Back