Smartphones With The Best Signal Strength

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
If the reception on your current handset isn’t any good, you may want to look into one of these guys. Included are the newest Nexus phones, the Galaxy S7 Edge, and the iPhone 6s.

…a study conducted by professor Gert Frølund Pedersen of Aalborg University in Denmark tested the signal strength of a bunch of different smartphones. For the study, Pedersen tested the signal strength of 26 smartphones during phone calls while the phones were held against the left and right ears with both left and right hands. We combined both left and right results to see which smartphones performed the best in both scenarios.

Last edited:
Link is broken.

Man, I wish this study had come out before I bought my phone. Might have gotten something other than the HTC 10. No wonder my reception is bad compared to other phones. It also explains why my mom's Nokia does so well with regards to reception...

Also, about time a study like this is done.

Link is broken.

Man, I wish this study had come out before I bought my phone. Might have gotten something other than the HTC 10. No wonder my reception is bad compared to other phones. It also explains why my mom's Nokia does so well with regards to reception...

Also, about time a study like this is done.

Link works here, the HTC 10 is actually number 6 in the list of great connection having phones, so... yeah.

The linked article only lists 10 of the more popular phones. The study has 26 phones and 5 tablets. We need MUCH more of this kind of research. :cool:

I hear the iPhone 8 will remove the antenna from the phone, making it wifi only, but you can buy an antenna that will plug into the lightning port to give you excellent reception as long as your not holding it wrong.

On another note, kinda sad my BlackBerry priv isn't on the list. I haven't had any signal issues with it, but I did with my htc m8 when I had that.

I hear the iPhone 8 will remove the antenna from the phone, making it wifi only, but you can buy an antenna that will plug into the lightning port to give you excellent reception as long as your not holding it wrong.

On another note, kinda sad my BlackBerry priv isn't on the list. I haven't had any signal issues with it, but I did with my htc m8 when I had that.

That's because nobody uses the Priv and it wouldn't be relevant to anyone reading the study.

That's because nobody uses the Priv and it wouldn't be relevant to anyone reading the study.

But, but, but I like it :( priv keyboard is freaking great.

I read the article and the paper, it looks like it's based in Europe so it would not apply to me anyways, they use gsm and I am on Verizon in the US (cdma).

Pissed of a bunch of my friends years back where my Nokia Lumia 900 in all of its single core goodness was consistently getting more bars and web pages when their latest Androids were flaking out.

My old LG G2 is still the best performing smartphone I've owned so far in terms of wireless performance both on cellular and Wi-Fi networks. It would easily pull down 85-90Mbps on LTE (T-Mobile) and close to 100Mbps using Wi-Fi which even outperforms the Intel adapter in my laptop (11n dual band). I could get Wi-Fi signals with usable strength in situations where other smartphones wouldn't even show the damned SSID at all, and I never ever had a dropped cellular call either.

Ever since there hasn't been a phone that even comes close and I test 'em out pretty thoroughly myself when I own them. Not sure what made the G2 so spectacular in terms of wireless performance overall but it most definitely remains the best device I've ever used in that respect.

Motorola Droid MAXX/Ultra/Mini (I've owned all three models, they're basically the same device/chipset/internals in different form factors and sizes aka the Moto X Verizon variants) did extremely well in my testing also. I really do actually kinda miss having a smartphone that I can just speak to and get info or control it without having to touch it in any manner whatsoever. Motorola's touchless control was and still remains vastly superior to anything else out there in my opinion. With Siri on iPhones you have to press and hold the Home button to get "her" to listen, and other devices using Google Now do require some physical interaction more often than not, but Motorola's way of doing things on the Moto devices (and the Droid models for Verizon) is just awesome. Might have to look for another Droid MAXX/Ultra/Mini sometime. :)

I wish I could find out how the galaxy s5 compares. i'm surprised the s5 mini is more common then the regular s5.

Back