smart vs true?

Dome

2[H]4U
i was wondering what the difference was between antecs smart power and true power

currently i'm looking at an antec case w/ 400 watt smart power. i am under the impression that any antec PSU is good, am i wrong and should i find one w/ a true power supply?

From Antec-inc.com
"TruePower from Antec is the most advanced line of PC power supplies from the company that has led the way in power supply design and quality since 1986. These power supplies feature dedicated output circuitry for each voltage so that each output delivers maximum power whenever you need it. To make sure these voltages stay accurate, TruePower also includes voltage feedback circuitry to improve system stability

Thanks to Antec New Low Noise Technology, system noise is substantially reduced, too. The power supply fans run at the lowest speed appropriate to load and conditions, controlled by an advanced temperature response system that outperforms previous solutions. Dedicated Fan Only power connectors allow TruePower power supplies to control the speed of case fans, too, thus reducing total system noise. "

There was nothing specific about antec smart power PSUs, the only blurb was on the smart power blue which said "Smart Power: Runs cooler and quieter". It doesn't say cooler and quieter than what, though.

I believe the Antec Smart Power PSUs are the ones that come with cases (I don't think I've seen a retail box)... you have to consider that for $100, you can get a case that includes a SP PSU, and the TruPower PSU by itself is about $100...
I don't think any cases come stock with the TruPower.

That alone gives me the impression that my TruPower is the better peformer.

i mean, i figured that, but considering that i've basically hit my budget square on the nose (a bit higher actually) than what i was planning, do you think it a bad idea to go w/ smart power instead of true power?

i'll be doing some game, more when the new shooters (dx2, d3, hl2) come out, but other than that i don't use that much power (no overclocking, however many fans come w/ the case etc) do i need to buy true?

Well, you are right, any antec power supplies are god from what I've heard. I wouldn't worry about it, it shouldn't make *much* of a difference. I personally have gotten away with a stock 250w PSU, running AGP video, Athlon XP, 2 Hard drives, and 2 CD-Roms.

i'll have 2 optical drives, floppy probably, 2 harddrives, the case comes w/ 4 fans, and i'll need to power my radeon, i figure 400 watts should be more than i need

Originally posted by Dome
i mean, i figured that, but considering that i've basically hit my budget square on the nose (a bit higher actually) than what i was planning, do you think it a bad idea to go w/ smart power instead of true power?

You shoulda said that to begin with :)

No, there should be NO problem at all. I would say that it would be worth it to save up for a TruPower in the future, but in my experience even the low end Antec PSUs are solid pieces of work.

But if you want something that will grow with you, and with whatever you attach to it, a TruePower would be a better buy. My 430 has run everything i've thrown at it without a hitch.

Back