Small but potent productivity PC build help - Low TDP/wattage/form factor - Is it possible?

garetjax27

Limp Gawd
It's been over 12 years since I last built a PC (currently running an X58 E760, Core i7-750, 780Ti Kingpin) and my PC needs have drastically changed since.

I no longer game, but I am gearing towards productivity (3D modeling and scanning). I have 70% of the parts picked out, but I'm stumped as to what CPU, mobo and GPU to go with given the following (in no particular order):

- Low heat/TDP output
- Low wattage
- Small footprint, SFF
- mATX formfactor (mini-ITX is okay too)
- Ability to run 240mm AIO
- Flexible upgrade options and "future proofing"

Initial thoughts are to pair an AMD Ryzen 9 @65 TDP and nVidia RTX 4060 @110w? However, I have no idea if these two parts are "good enough" to run the stuff I want to run, such as Fusion 360, CAD, Blender, Cura, Tinkercad, etc.

For the motherboard, I'd like to run an AMD AM5, but there doesn't seem to a lot of options for "pro" level boards, especially where the chipset is concerned, such as the X670E for example.

Any direction and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

I think you're on the right track. Honestly even the pro am5 boards are just glorified consumer hardware. No reason you can't grab a cheap matx am5 board.

A 240 aio seems like overkill for a 70w cpu. You could run one of the larger am5 chips if you shoehorn a large aio in the build.

Reactions: Axman
like this
For the motherboard, I'd like to run an AMD AM5, but there doesn't seem to a lot of options for "pro" level boards, especially where the chipset is concerned, such as the X670E for example.
Does the 3d scanning part has some heavy requirement, you can try a rough pass on pcpartpicker for the USB 3 and others need in that regard for a list of possible MB:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#f=7,8&Q=1,2

Asus seem to have an high end X670E Micro ATX board, but maybe you do not need it some under aorus elite offer 1 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2

It's been over 12 years since I last built a PC (currently running an X58 E760, Core i7-750, 780Ti Kingpin) and my PC needs have drastically changed since.

I no longer game, but I am gearing towards productivity (3D modeling and scanning). I have 70% of the parts picked out, but I'm stumped as to what CPU, mobo and GPU to go with given the following (in no particular order):

- Low heat/TDP output
- Low wattage
- Small footprint, SFF
- mATX formfactor (mini-ITX is okay too)
- Ability to run 240mm AIO
- Flexible upgrade options and "future proofing"

Initial thoughts are to pair an AMD Ryzen 9 @65 TDP and nVidia RTX 4060 @110w? However, I have no idea if these two parts are "good enough" to run the stuff I want to run, such as Fusion 360, CAD, Blender, Cura, Tinkercad, etc.

Any direction and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
Asus' Gene board, was the only high end AM5 MATX board. And its discontinuted. All of the other MATX boards for AM5, are B650.

That said, plenty of them are good boards. And most of their features should be good enough for the relevant performance lifetime of the CPU.

The smallest MATX case I know of which isn't junk, is this:
https://www.sliger.com/products/cases/cerberus/

very similar in size to the popular ITX case, Coolermaster NR200

That said, the Cerberus needs an update. and it keeps getting pushed back. I.E. it doesn't have very good support for AIO, even though it would be easy to do with the size.

A 240 aio seems like overkill for a 70w cpu. You could run one of the larger am5 chips if you shoehorn a large aio in the build.

sure. that will run all of those, just not at the speed it would at proper stock settings... dont see the point in the aio if youre neutering the cpu...
These are great points, I didn't really even realize that at 65TDP, that an AIO, regardless of size, would be overkill on this type of CPU. That said, I think I might reconsider my CPU for something non-neutered when combined with an AIO.

Does the 3d scanning part has some heavy requirement, you can try a rough pass on pcpartpicker for the USB 3 and others need in that regard for a list of possible MB:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#f=7,8&Q=1,2

Asus seem to have an high end X670E Micro ATX board, but maybe you do not need it some under aorus elite offer 1 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2

This is also a great point regarding the throughput of generational USB mobo headers when doing 3D scanning; I'll be sure to adjust for that when choosing a motherboard!

Back