Small Business network setup wired router/switch help

gawkgawk

Limp Gawd

I'm new to small business network setup. I have my cable modem hooked up to the WAN port of the TP-Link Gigabit router and a cat5e cable hooked up to port 16 on the Netgear Switch. On the Netgear switch setup I set the DHCP mode to "Enable" as I figure the router will handle IP address assignment. I plugged in 3 computers to the Netgear switch and I get internet but if I plug in anymore there is still a red X on the ethernet connection in the taskbar and only the first 3 computers have internet still.

Any ideas or help greatly appreciated. Thank you!

TP-Link TL-R600VPN SafeStream Gigabit Broadband VPN Router
NETGEAR ProSAFE JGS516PE 16-Port Gigabit Rackmount PoE Web Managed (Plus) Switch

I'm new to small business network setup. I have my cable modem hooked up to the WAN port of the TP-Link Gigabit router and a cat5e cable hooked up to port 16 on the Netgear Switch. On the Netgear switch setup I set the DHCP mode to "Enable" as I figure the router will handle IP address assignment. I plugged in 3 computers to the Netgear switch and I get internet but if I plug in anymore there is still a red X on the ethernet connection in the taskbar and only the first 3 computers have internet still.

Any ideas or help greatly appreciated. Thank you!

TP-Link TL-R600VPN SafeStream Gigabit Broadband VPN Router
NETGEAR ProSAFE JGS516PE 16-Port Gigabit Rackmount PoE Web Managed (Plus) Switch

A lot will depend on what is connecting to these devices. If you are only wanting the workstations connect to the internet (I assume no server of any kind) then I would setup the TP-Link as the DHCP server, and let the switch do switching.

Sounds like you have DHCP running on both the switch and the router. It is an either or kind of thing, not both. Most put the DHCP on the router.

Ok, I will look at the configurations tonight and post back. Thanks for the help so far!

Ok, I configured the router for DCHP server, then set the switch DCHP disable and set the gateway/IP to match the same gateway and first IP according to the router settings. Computer 4 didn't work but computer 5 did. Brand new cables too! I cut the ends off of the pre-made #4 cable and replaced them, everything working now!!!

Why are the instructions that come with these things always so vague??? :)

Thanks!

I think most of the router manufactures expect the users to have some sore of prerequisite networking knowledge. This is especially true when it comes to routers meant for SOHO or Small Business configurations. But its good to hear you were able to get things sorted out.

Ok, I configured the router for DCHP server, then set the switch DCHP disable and set the gateway/IP to match the same gateway and first IP according to the router settings. Computer 4 didn't work but computer 5 did. Brand new cables too! I cut the ends off of the pre-made #4 cable and replaced them, everything working now!!!

Why are the instructions that come with these things always so vague??? :)

Thanks!

Glad to hear you got everything working.

Sounds like you have DHCP running on both the switch and the router. It is an either or kind of thing, not both. Most put the DHCP on the router.

I actually have this same switch in a lab. The DHCP mode on the switch is for the switch only. Meaning that when its set to enable, it will obtain an IP address from a DHCP server so you can manage the switch. If its set to disable, you need to manually configure a management IP address for the switch otherwise you lose management options for the switch and it becomes a dumb switch.

Back