Slightly messed up packaging for an HD-return or keep?

Today I got 2 18TB Ironwolf Pros from newegg. The first one was fine. The second one had one corner of the plastic reflex cushion/bracket endcap a bit crumpled up. Here is the first one (the good one):

PXL_20231201_232834909.jpg

Here is the bad second one:

PXL_20231201_232817691_edit.jpg

What do you all think? Should I keep it or try to exchange it for a new one? I'm not sure how/why the plastic would get deformed like that.

Thanks.

Looks more melted than crumbled to my eyes.

The box itself is fine? Whoever packed the HDD probably picked up the deformed piece, shrugged their shoulders at it, and used it anyways.

It's possible it happened in-transit, maybe the box was too close to a heater or something. That plastic is pretty thin and easy to deform (by design). Is the static bag at all damaged?

I'd say the HDD is probably fine.

The box and the hard drive are fine, as far as I can tell. I can't see any deformities in the static bag either

The plastic did exactly what it was designed to do: crumple under impact load and protect the drive inside.
It's fine. Install it and use it.

The plastic did exactly what it was designed to do: crumple under impact load and protect the drive inside.
It's fine. Install it and use it.
^^THIS^^

Assuming there was no other visible signs of damage, I would not worry about it, because it would take a good bit more force to do any real damage to the internal parts of the drive....

But just in case, take pics of the box insides & outsides to use as evidence of rough handling on the small chance that the drive was actually damaged in shipping & you have to RMA it...

Thats just a malformed plastic like the mold was the wrong temp or not enough plastic. Impact on a normal pastic piece wouldnt look like that. If there was impact involved then the card board would be dented which doesn't appear to be the case from what i can see in picture. AOK imho.

Should be fine. But you should test hard drives like that before you start using them, regardless if packaging looks okay IMHO. badblocks and smartctl long test before you start storing data.

If it means anything to you the last time I bought an HDD from Newegg it came shipped in a plastic clamshell in a box 4 times bigger than a shoe box with brown paper on top of the drive. The little paper they used did not keep it from moving in the box. The drive's clamshell was touching the bottom of the box. I did not have any issues with the drive.
I was super pissed at the time because if I had to send that drive in for warranty repair the manufacturer required that I pack it in at least 2 inches of foam on every edge of the box and have the drive in the clamshell box. (I had just done a warranty repair on a different drive).

Back