SLI Bridge Temps

|DFA| Havoc

Limp Gawd
Continuing my series of obscure noob questions, is it normal for the SLI bridge to run really hot? I just set up a couple 660 Tis together, and the bridge gets hot to the touch. I wouldn't expect much voltage to be running through there, is it just transferring from the shroud?

I've run SLI setups in the past and never noticed this happening before, though to be fair I wasn't paying much any particular attention to the bridges then. Anyone know if this is a normal / common occurrence, or something I should be worried about?

That is NOT normal in any way shape or form. It should be room temperature.

Really depends on the design of your card. My Gigabyte 970s have the "inner" SLI finger directly over the VRM heatsink, so if I use a 3-way rigid bridge, it warms up considerably. Not too hot to touch, but very warm (if I had to give a temp I'd say about 40C).

If I use a regular 2 way flex bridge, it gets much better since it gives a wide berth for the hot air from the VRM area to escape.

Well, that's a bit troubling then. I don't really have a good way of measuring, but I'd guess that it's getting hotter than 40c.

Both cards are reference design, and I'm using the rigid 2-way bridge that came with the motherboard. I tried moving it to the other finger already, and that didn't seem to make much difference. :/

I let it run benchmarks for a few hours straight and didn't notice any performance hits or artifacting, but still makes me nervous...

I leave the side off my computer and my 2 660Ti's bridge is actually cold to the touch. Sounds like something wrong with the cards to be pushing that much voltage through the bridge. Mine is an ASUS flexible bridge.

Back