Skyrim impressions

The room that the wooden mask teleports you to has safe containers. I was using that place for two weeks before moving into Markarth.

Are High Elf characters any fun? They are hideous looking to me, maybe there are texture mods that make them more appealing. Do you get any respect from the Thalmor/Aldmeri Dominion has an Altmer character, or are they are lippy and aloof as ever?

I was storing all my stuff in the two barrels in front of the blacksmith shop in whiterun, never had anything disappear or stolen, though I never let 10 days pass either without adding/taking from those barrels... now I store stuff in DB sanctuary
the one outside of dawnstar in the master bedroom you get built by delvin from the TG

If I'm remembering right it is owned and it is safe storage(if it aint I'm fucking hosed have all my side quest armor(DB, TG Stormcloak ect) in there).

I never stored anything until I got a house. I guess that's why I have $60k+. I'm a sell whore.

Ditto, every couple of hours hit all the towns and sell then rest a couple of days and do it again.

Remember that you also need it to improve the armour to make it flawless or legendary, I can't remember which is better, but that requires dragon parts as well.

I like the smithing, I just need to figured out what levels I need to be at to add more stuff to my swords and armor and in the case of the armor where to find void salts.

holy shit this game is addicting. i've never given games like this a shot so this is the first RPG i've gotten into. i'm primarily an FPS player. i bought Skyrim on a whim saturday night and started downloading it before i went to bed. spent 7 hours playing on sunday and 4 more tonight. i planned on playing BF3 tonight but wanted to try one thing in Skyrim first...and that was it. 4 hours gone in no time.

This game is bigger than Oblivion, FO3 and FONV (from what I remember) in terms of the world and content. Can't say for certain compared to Morrowind, although I think it is. I still haven't even visited every single town, and I've only explored in detail I think two of the holds (major city). Two holds I've visited only briefly.

It is this size that makes me wish you had the option of not being thrust into the main quest for RP reasons. I'd really love to just be able to live in the game world for awhile. I mean take when you first get to Riverwood, it would be awesome if you could just start out working a bit in the lumber mill or as a hunter maybe. But I can see why you would design it the way they did, since many people might have trouble discovering/finishing the main quest otherwise. It isn't a huge deal of course, since there aren't game play implications of putting off the main quest. But really for games with this overall level of quality it is more about finding faults for improvement, than any real negativity.

Last edited:
holy shit this game is addicting. i've never given games like this a shot so this is the first RPG i've gotten into. i'm primarily an FPS player. i bought Skyrim on a whim saturday night and started downloading it before i went to bed. spent 7 hours playing on sunday and 4 more tonight. i planned on playing BF3 tonight but wanted to try one thing in Skyrim first...and that was it. 4 hours gone in no time.

Yup yup, Oblivion was just addicting for me though I can NOT get into 1-3 at all. I've got MW3 sitting and collecting dust I ment to test out Skyrim and blow through MW3 before really getting into Skyrim but I haven't even touched it yet.

I'm already 80 hours deep into this game. Ugh. And its making me want to go back and play Morrowind again too.

Are High Elf characters any fun? They are hideous looking to me, maybe there are texture mods that make them more appealing. Do you get any respect from the Thalmor/Aldmeri Dominion has an Altmer character, or are they are lippy and aloof as ever?

Yes, they are fun. As mages of course. They get no respect - from Thalmor or any Nord in skyrim. Oblig. "my character" pic, with a bad case of vampirism on the left:

tgs4y.jpg
oKzVv.jpg

This game is bigger than Oblivion, FO3 and FONV (from what I remember) in terms of the world and content. Can't say for certain compared to Morrowind, although I think it is. I still haven't even visited every single town, and I've only explored in detail I think two of the holds (major city). Two holds I've visited only briefly.

It is this size that makes me wish you had the option of not being thrust into the main quest for RP reasons. I'd really love to just be able to live in the game world for awhile. I mean take when you first get to Riverwood, it would be awesome if you could just start out working a bit in the lumber mill or as a hunter maybe. But I can't see why you would design it the way they did, since many people might have trouble discovering/finishing the main quest otherwise. It isn't a huge deal of course, since there aren't game play implications of putting off the main quest. But really for games with this overall level of quality it is more about finding faults for improvement, than any real negativity.

That was actually one of the reasons Morrowind was so difficult to get into. They just kinda threw you out into this vast, open-ended world that had countless possibilities, and most people simply had no idea where the hell they were supposed to go.

That was actually one of the reasons Morrowind was so difficult to get into. They just kinda threw you out into this vast, open-ended world that had countless possibilities, and most people simply had no idea where the hell they were supposed to go.

That "can't" should have been "can" :p so yea I can see the opposite viewpoint of what I want.

I actually did have that problem at first with Morrowind if I recall, there was less direction, although a part of that may have been skip reading too fast.

I think with the case of Skyrim, my first experience with Riverwood is what set my feeling for this. When I saw the wildlife roam around, the running river, and how the town was setup with a mill and everything, it stirred that idyllic feeling in me of wanting to retire to the wilds as a simple villager :p

I'd like to murder the lady blacksmith in Whiterun but she makes it easier to offload junk. Perhaps a mod could be made to shut her up while I'm smithing.

And whatever you do, if you have only ever leveled up heavy armor and then some group gives you light armor and wants you to go on a mission in that stuff, don't.

I like the smithing, I just need to figured out what levels I need to be at to add more stuff to my swords and armor and in the case of the armor where to find void salts.

I don't know where void salts appear in the wild, but you can buy them as ingredients from most alchemists, there's one in every major town. What armour requires that to make/improve?

You can improve armour at any level, but your smithing level decides what grade of improvement you actually apply, so you start off being able to improve weapons by about 1 attack/defence point, eventually you can improve them to flawless/legendary which adds a large bonus, smithing is well worth it IMO.

There's this: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=29

I doubt their attitudes change if you're also a stupid elf retard-looking homo silly fantasy character, since even though I am playing as a Nord I still get every second character shouting SKYRIM FOR THE NORDS or FUCK OFF BACK HOME Y'BASTARD at me and the like. Bethesda seem to have overlooked the race aspect of it.

I don't know where void salts appear in the wild, but you can buy them as ingredients from most alchemists, there's one in every major town. What armour requires that to make/improve?

You can improve armour at any level, but your smithing level decides what grade of improvement you actually apply, so you start off being able to improve weapons by about 1 attack/defence point, eventually you can improve them to flawless/legendary which adds a large bonus, smithing is well worth it IMO.

NG armor requires it.

Currently I'm sitting at 68 Smithing with steel, arcane, elven, and dwarven perks and able to improve 2 times. Now "if" my brain is working right 3 upgrades will be at 80 and 4 at 100?

Side note my NG armor was at 99. 1 void salt later its 126(and listed as exqusite), must find more alchemist's!

Last edited:
There's this: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=29

I doubt their attitudes change if you're also a stupid elf retard-looking homo silly fantasy character, since even though I am playing as a Nord I still get every second character shouting SKYRIM FOR THE NORDS or FUCK OFF BACK HOME Y'BASTARD at me and the like. Bethesda seem to have overlooked the race aspect of it.

Nope, race has no bearing on how the game plays, other than your racial power. It's pretty irritating, actually.

you can also jack void salt from alchemist and court wizard's shops if they have them lying around.

Nope, race has no bearing on how the game plays, other than your racial power. It's pretty irritating, actually.

It affects certain lines the NPCs will use with you, same with your gender choice and main skill choices, but that's it to my knowledge.

you can also jack void salt from alchemist and court wizard's shops if they have them lying around.

Yeah if you're a thieving bastard you can :p

NG armor requires it.

Currently I'm sitting at 68 Smithing with steel, arcane, elven, and dwarven perks and able to improve 2 times. Now "if" my brain is working right 3 upgrades will be at 80 and 4 at 100?

Side note my NG armor was at 99. 1 void salt later its 126(and listed as exqusite), must find more alchemist's!

Huh? You don't sequentially upgrade things with Smithing. You always upgrade them to the maximum of your abilities.

I'm doing the thieves guild and DB quests. So far, I think I preferred the ones in Oblivion. I can't stand the annoying guy at the DB, hopefully I can stab him later? I found myself clicking through his lines just so I didn't have to hear his voice. The thieves guild seems more thuggish than in Oblivion. Perhaps I didn't notice, but is there no bonus for a clean mission?

Thieving is so easy, probably too easy. The only one I had trouble with was jacking the translation the NG portion of the quest line.

Hey just curious - how do I get more spells under destruction. I've just been working with flames and that's it for the longest time now.

spells are learned through books/tomes, either found or purchased from the magic-type vendors. Joining the college of winterhold is probably a good start.

ya, a bit of a trek to winterhold, but really I am thinking any mage should be be able to sell you spells. Look for court mages. Note the spells will only be according to your level, however the inventories will change as you go up.

black_b[ ]x;1038081088 said:
I'm doing the thieves guild and DB quests. So far, I think I preferred the ones in Oblivion. I can't stand the annoying guy at the DB, hopefully I can stab him later? I found myself clicking through his lines just so I didn't have to hear his voice. The thieves guild seems more thuggish than in Oblivion. Perhaps I didn't notice, but is there no bonus for a clean mission?

I've been reprimanded and my cut held as penance for a not-so-clean mission.

How can I find the thieves guild and then the Nightingales? Thanks.

Thieves guild is in riften, you join the NG automatically as you progress thru their quest line.

Huh? You don't sequentially upgrade things with Smithing. You always upgrade them to the maximum of your abilities.

Well how does it work then? If a smithing check isn't needed past the perk for doing enchanted armor/weapons where does the check come into play at? My weapon/armor skill?

that's how i've been playing. if i enter a room and nobody's around i take what i want. is there any downside to being a thief in this game if you never get caught?

I'm the same way. Enter shop crouch and move until you are hidden and steal like a MOFO. I've crouched behind venders and stolen coins and coin purses that are in front of them on a counter at about every shop I hit.

Only real down side is the snide comments you get from guards and what not.

"You keep your fingers to your self while in x town" It's fun to turn around and clean them out when they do it :p

I'm the same way. Enter shop crouch and move until you are hidden and steal like a MOFO. I've crouched behind venders and stolen coins and coin purses that are in front of them on a counter at about every shop I hit.

Only real down side is the snide comments you get from guards and what not.

"You keep your fingers to your self while in x town" It's fun to turn around and clean them out when they do it :p

i haven't been ballsy enough to steal right behind someone's back while they're in the room. i quicksave what feels like every damn 30 seconds, so i suppose i haven't got much to lose. i guess i'll work on my thievery tonight :D

In my corrupted save play, I was a DW warrior but my pickpocketing skill was the most used. I had so much stolen crap I couldn't sell.

i haven't been ballsy enough to steal right behind someone's back while they're in the room. i quicksave what feels like every damn 30 seconds, so i suppose i haven't got much to lose. i guess i'll work on my thievery tonight :D

My sneak(among others) is with in 30 points of 100, plus the NG helps.

In my corrupted save play, I was a DW warrior but my pickpocketing skill was the most used. I had so much stolen crap I couldn't sell.

I'm at that point with stuff I've looted. Spent an hour trying to clean house last night and I don't think there was a vender in Skyrim that had money left.

Well how does it work then? If a smithing check isn't needed past the perk for doing enchanted armor/weapons where does the check come into play at? My weapon/armor skill?

Upgrading with smithing is based on your ability. But there's not like "levels" of upgrades. When you upgrade something, it's just upgraded to the best of your current ability.

So if you upgrade every 20 points of smithing you put in or just upgrade it once after you reach 100, the final product is the same.

black_b[ ]x;1038081472 said:
spells are learned through books/tomes, either found or purchased from the magic-type vendors. Joining the college of winterhold is probably a good start.

In the town of winterhold?

Is ther ANY reason to believe that re-installing windows will lessen my infuriating CTD's on game load or savegame load? I am so close to just doing it anyway, it certainly couldn't make things much worse...

Thieving is so easy, probably too easy. The only one I had trouble with was jacking the translation the NG portion of the quest line.

Stop using quick save and live with failed attempts. Not so easy anymore.

This game becomes a touch harder if you don't exploit quick save.

What's the difference between scrolls and spell tombs? What physically makes you learn a spell ? Either of these?

Tomes are what you use to learn spells. You click on it, you learn the spell, it disappears and you can recast it using your own MP.

Scrolls are one shot items, like potions, that don't use MP and cast the spell indicated.

Based on my experiences with previous Bethseda games, lower framerates = more CTDs. Also, try another driver or such for your sound card.

Glad it's not CTDing on me. I had it bad with Morrowind.

Back