Skyrim .... eh, I'm guessing the game will take a beating here

SixFootDuo

Supreme [H]ardness
Very very console. Got a mouse? Big deal, you can't click on anything to make changes in the setup, all done with keyboard ... very pissed about that.

Absolutely a console port, maybe with some upgrades. I will posts more after I've had a chance to really dig in.

Very very console. Got a mouse? Big deal, you can't click on anything to make changes in the setup, all done with keyboard ... very pissed about that.

Absolutely a console port, maybe with some upgrades. I will posts more after I've had a chance to really dig in.

Thanks for letting us know. I don't think this has been covered in any of the other Skyrim threads yet.

Your right, the menu system is very unintuitive with Kb/ms. seems like a pad is expected

will probably just take some getting used to...after getting immersed in the game after a few hours I'm sure most people will hardly notice the clunky UI

If it's too porty I'll just play it on my louge room rig with a game pad, will still look and run better than an Xbox so I still win.

Us PC players have an advantage - mods. Remember DarkUI for Oblivion? Changed my whole experience - I'm very irritated with the UI...I'm half way tempted to plug in my retarded xbawks controller just to use the UI properly but I'll deal with the keyboard stupidity for now. Until then, bring on the UI mods!

Is the keyboard only control limited to just the setup, or is the entire games UI blocked from using the mouse? I could deal with just the setup being KB only.

Gone from GOTY to Joke OTY, heheheeh, let's poor ole Crysis off the hook.

I don't think I will care except no key bindings bothers me. I hope there are workarounds!!!!!!!!!

I, too, think I will wait for some mods to come out before I buy it...

Especially after all this talk about a console port...

I'm actually really impressed and take back what I said initially. The keyboard and mouse work nicely together. It's very easy and fast to pick up items and discard them. I did have some issues trying to get an axe into my right hand for some odd reason, but a sword went there no problem allowing me to carry a shield in the left hand. Game is running very smooth. So far I am really enjoying what I'm seeing.

There was a minor learning curve, but after getting the hang of things it's pretty easy to navigate the UI. Don't let the console comments dissuade you. I'm looking forward to digging into the game over the weekend.

No offense to the Skyrim nublets in here, but after messing with the UI with keyboard controls for about 8 hours of gameplay today, I can navigate the menus faster than possible with a mouse.

It's actually very intuitive, the only downside is that for lists of items/spells (long lists) you can't click the sidebar and drag down.
Other than that, I love it.

I agree, the Menu UI is awesome!
it just takes time getting used to...
Now, I find myself trying to navigate the menus faster than the animations allow with the keyboard :)

Now, about the rest of the Skyrim's not-so-good's...

I had no issues assigning commands to the side buttons on my mouse (G500). Driver issue maybe?

I had no issues assigning commands to the side buttons on my mouse (G500). Driver issue maybe?

Thanks for the input.

I use a G9 so it should work for me too then. I'll try to see what the problem is on my side.

On a side, note, do you have a controller also plugged in? The game defaults to the controller scheme if it is, that may be blocking it from assigning keybinds to your mouse, something else to check at least.

since this is UI related, how do you favorite dual wielding swords.

if i switch to a bow and switch it off its fine dont need to have the dual wielding as a favorite but if i switch to magic it unequips one of them and i cant get it to re equip both sowrds without going into my inv. and manually requiping them.

you can use the control pad on the pc

I'm sorry, but my PC did not come with a "control pad". While standing on top of a mountain it was passed down to me from a shining light in the heavens with a mouse and a keyboard, as ordained by the almighty Gods.

I'm sorry, but my PC did not come with a "control pad". While standing on top of a mountain it was passed down to me from a shining light in the heavens with a mouse and a keyboard, as ordained by the almighty Gods.

But the Lords of the Under Realms wait around every corner to tempt you with a shiny new controller "that is plug and play" and whispering the corrupted lies of Consoltheism.

What's the DRM on this thing? SecuROM?

Steamworks, but only through the launcher. Once installed, it can be run from the exe directly and doesn't appear to enforce DRM. Bethesda games are moddable, and they've been friendly to script extensions, DLL injectors and other such things in the past. I suspect this will be the case with Skyrim as well, but we'll have to wait for the SDK to know for sure.

LoL at all the crying form people who haven't even played the game. The UI isn't bad. Could be better but it's not distracting at all. M/Kb work just fine.

It's actually very intuitive, the only downside is that for lists of items/spells (long lists) you can't click the sidebar and drag down.

That's the strangest thing I've come across but really it's not much of an issue.

I agree, the Menu UI is awesome!
it just takes time getting used to...
Now, I find myself trying to navigate the menus faster than the animations allow with the keyboard :)

Now, about the rest of the Skyrim's not-so-good's...

I too like most of the menus. They may not be the typical PC menu but they add some character.

The only not so good I've had was the slightly dated graphics but meh, great games can have junk graphics and games with great graphics can be junk. The two are barely related. That said the graphics still look pretty good. The game play is fun and that is the most important thing.

No offense to the Skyrim nublets in here, but after messing with the UI with keyboard controls for about 8 hours of gameplay today, I can navigate the menus faster than possible with a mouse.

Yes. If you haven't played for more than a few hours with an open mind, don't fret about the kb/m hybrid menus. They are a little strange at first, but they end up working very efficiently once you are used to them. Scroll wheel on the mouse even works in menus, which is cool considerng how many other multiplatform lack that. It's really not bad! Dn't be afraid! Besides, if you don't like it... mods will come.

And unrelated to my quote -- don't fear about setting up hotkeys, because you can set up hotkeys for different items and spells. It's not immediately obvious how to do it because it isnt the same as oblivion -- you set up favrites and hotkey them.

On a side, note, do you have a controller also plugged in? The game defaults to the controller scheme if it is, that may be blocking it from assigning keybinds to your mouse, something else to check at least.

I had my X360 controller's wireless receiver plugged in. Unplugged it and now the side mouse buttons are recognized. Camera movement is also much more responsive. Thanks!

How do you set hotkeys? The spell/equipment switching is just mind numbing doing it from the inventory/favorites. I've been playing about 10 hours and I still don't like the menu system, but i'm getting more used to it. The only part that is really bad is the perks menu. Navigating those constellation menus is annoying as hell.

How keys for items? Open favorites then press a number key when something is highlighted.

No, every game that isn't a some multiplayer fps rehash takes a beating here. I don't even think that most of the users here even enjoy gaming anymore.

I don't listen to most of the user's opinions here when it comes to games.

Steamworks, but only through the launcher. Once installed, it can be run from the exe directly and doesn't appear to enforce DRM. Bethesda games are moddable, and they've been friendly to script extensions, DLL injectors and other such things in the past. I suspect this will be the case with Skyrim as well, but we'll have to wait for the SDK to know for sure.

So you can copy the game to another computer/back it up and it'll run without Steam? That's good news. I might actually buy it now (or in a month or two once there's some UI mods).

So you can copy the game to another computer/back it up and it'll run without Steam? That's good news. I might actually buy it now (or in a month or two once there's some UI mods).

That's how Oblivion ran, oddly.

The graphics suck balls... this game is straight out of 2003/2004.. and that's being nice... I just played the intro, Oblivion was impressive at the time.. this is embarrasing to bethesda. This is on PC... I get it's a port, but wow, this has no soul, no heart of any game near 2011.

Lol, anyone who is bitching about Skyrim doesn't know what a good game is. Port or not.

Back