Skylake/Z170 finally available

Where did you get it from?

Also, what voltage are you needing to get that overclock?

I'm American, but I ordered from French Amazon cuz they had them in stock and shipped to America. Right now i'm having huge problems installing Windows 10 though. I keep getting IRLQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL errors like 10% into the install. Right now I'm cloning another Windows 10 OS that's already installed on another machine to see if it works, and if it does I'll just factory reset that.

The longer I have to wait, the more I think I may just stick with my 2600k for another year. Even if it means putting up with my mobo randomly losing drives once in a while.

I'm American, but I ordered from French Amazon cuz they had them in stock and shipped to America. Right now i'm having huge problems installing Windows 10 though. I keep getting IRLQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL errors like 10% into the install. Right now I'm cloning another Windows 10 OS that's already installed on another machine to see if it works, and if it does I'll just factory reset that.

Are you installing it while OCed?

I've gotten that BSOD over so many things it's basically meaningless... Most common is bad RAM or RAM pushed too far tho. Good luck with that! Totally jelly you've got a 6700K already. :cool:

I've gotten that BSOD over so many things it's basically meaningless... Most common is bad RAM or RAM pushed too far tho. Good luck with that! Totally jelly you've got a 6700K already. :cool:

Yup, that would have been my first guess too. Either bad RAM, pushed too far, or maybe DRAM voltage not set properly (or a combination of the above)...

BTW, does anyone else keep getting emails from Amazon telling you what else they have that's "similar" to the 6700K? It's almost mean, heh, every time I see the notification on my phone I think it's the email telling me they're in stock...

I even bought a Z170 board from Amazon already, you'd think the algorithm could figure out I'm not buying a second one and would stop pitching them... Got the hardware joneseys. :eek:

Anything notable come out of the IDF so far today regarding the 6700k in the US?

Are they planning on paper launching the new SSD tech too? Oh wait, that's what the 3D Xpoint hype announcement was for wasn't it? :p

I'm really not that bitter, it's just annoying. You'd think Intel would be past this... That and favoring OEM with an enthusiast K SKU just seems off.

Would've been much simpler to hold off on launching if it wasn't ready in volume. You can bet board partners are none too happy either.

Are they planning on paper launching the new SSD tech too? Oh wait, that's what the 3D Xpoint hype announcement was for wasn't it? :p

I'm really not that bitter, it's just annoying. You'd think Intel would be past this... That and favoring OEM with an enthusiast K SKU just seems off.

Yeah I feel the same, since when did they start preferring enthusiast who want someone else to do the work for them.

They just want us to get fed up and buy 6600ks now and then upgrade later so they can double their profits.:mad:

Eff that, I've got a 2500K, part of the way I'm justifying (rationalizing? :p ) this build is moving up to a part with HT after so many years... I'll wait even if it takes all of next month and the next.

They even went as far as making pretty new boxes tho! Only to sell to the OEM first. Maybe the retail box plant had a brain fart over all the colors in the new design and that's the real holdup.

After several decades of nothing but blue/white out it's nozzles you can only forgive it...

Would've been much simpler to hold off on launching if it wasn't ready in volume. You can bet board partners are none too happy either.

Agree on all counts. They are dominating the market anyways, wasn't like it had to be rushed out. And it's not like those 6600ks are flying off the shelves....I don't have any sales numbers but still plenty in stock at newegg and microcenter...

How long did shipping take from France?

Who cares, you gonna pay $470 + shipping for it? Might as well order from Amazon Spain and save $4! :p

Anyway, none of the Euro Amazons actually have it in stock anymore (at least the .it, .es, .fr, and .co.uk I checked)... It's all 3rd party merchants, they claim to have it in stock but who knows.

Amazon Spain itself actually has it listed at $460 with a generic message that says delivery will take 1-2 months (gotta love Amazon's ambiguous estimates).

Last edited:
ugh , I would be fine if they had never said it was launched!

Some of the sites that previously said Aug 30th changed their dates to Sept 10th. It is sounding more and more like we are looking at late Sept at best for the average person to get their hands on these.

Maybe I just need to stop reading the forums and forget about things so time passes quicker, this is too stressful, ha!

ugh , I would be fine if they had never said it was launched!

Some of the sites that previously said Aug 30th changed their dates to Sept 10th. It is sounding more and more like we are looking at late Sept at best for the average person to get their hands on these.

Maybe I just need to stop reading the forums and forget about things so time passes quicker, this is too stressful, ha!

seriously

I just wanna get a pre order in at the Egg or Amazon... That way I can relax, dunno why they don't open those up. After I've got a pre order it'll get here when it does, couldn't care less...

Shoot, it'd even help Amazon & the Egg to gauge demand. Which probably means they aren't doing pre orders because they're unsure how many they'll get (either on the first wave or the 2nd).

Missing out on the first wave would bug me... :p

Will I miss much on the 6600k without hyperthreading? I'm currently on a i5-2500k on my main rig.

My main motivation for this change is to upgrade a E8400 build I've been using for school work (will get replaced with the 2500k build).

Will I miss much on the 6600k without hyperthreading? I'm currently on a i5-2500k on my main rig.

My main motivation for this change is to upgrade a E8400 build I've been using for school work (will get replaced with the 2500k build).

I cant go to an I5 from an I7, just not doing it I will go with a 5820k first.

In gaming what you will lose is a tiny bit on the max frame rates and a little bit more on the minimum frame rates based o the tests I have seen.

This Video from Digital Foundry will give you a little bit of an idea of the comparison

For me that isnt the real issue, I lose out on applications in not having the HT. I have other junk running in the background that I don't want to impact my game and I occasionally use some applications that run much better with HT enabled chip

It will not be as fast as Devils Canyon.

It sucks that these decisions have to be based on availability.
I think I am going to take another look at x99 boards and see if I can find one I like for the money.

If I'm going dual SLI, do I lose anything by going 8x/8x on Skylake vs 16x/8x on Haswell-E?

I know the general consensus a few years ago was no, but not sure if that has changed with recent games, architecture, higher resolution, etc.

If I'm going dual SLI, do I lose anything by going 8x/8x on Skylake vs 16x/8x on Haswell-E?

I know the general consensus a few years ago was no, but not sure if that has changed with recent games, architecture, higher resolution, etc.

You will get the same performance with 8x/8x

Has anyone even reviewed 6700k with SLI? A quick google search actually brings up a few disgruntled early adopters that are claiming poor performance.

Has anyone even reviewed 6700k with SLI? A quick google search actually brings up a few disgruntled early adopters that are claiming poor performance.

No , I am not aware of any SLI reviews yet. I think the biggest issues to be aware of is some vendors may decide to use a PLX chip. In the case of the Gigabyte G1 They use a PLX so they can go Quad SLI. The review I read made it sound as if all the PCIe lanes even the primary x16 would use the PLX and that it would cause lower performance.
Quote from review
"Single GPU Performance: Since the Z170X-Gaming G1 has a PLX bridge chip, the PEX8747, the chip adds a bit of latency which is apparent when only a single GPU is used. While this is true about most boards with a PEX8747 (there are some notable exceptions), it is still a downside to using that chip."

Review LINK

It was originally my understanding that you would always be able to do (1) 16x or (2) 8x without going through a PLX. I am going to try and stay away from any board with a PLX because I do not need the extra lanes and there the chip adds a lot of cost for those that do not need it.

Maybe Dan will chime in.

Last edited:
Where are these chips already what is going on?! All I see is 6600k

If you plan on running SLI on Skylake, beware:

https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.asp...age=en-us&board_id=1&model=Z170-DELUXE&page=1

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5143058

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=401731

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...her-3-sli-broken-in-windows-10-/post/4640797/

Early adopter hassles and I'm sure some of this is Windows 10 and/or NVidia driver related, hopefully it will get worked out, but add the driver waiting game on top of waiting for the 6700k to even be released....disappointing launch to say the least.

If you plan on running SLI on Skylake, beware:

https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.asp...age=en-us&board_id=1&model=Z170-DELUXE&page=1

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5143058

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=401731

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...her-3-sli-broken-in-windows-10-/post/4640797/

Early adopter hassles and I'm sure some of this is Windows 10 and/or NVidia driver related, hopefully it will get worked out, but add the driver waiting game on top of waiting for the 6700k to even be released....disappointing launch to say the least.

I am not really surprised here, but I would also expect that new Bios revisions and or new nVidia drivers will eventually solve this.
Thanks for the links, this is definitely something to worry about if you need SLI on Z170 and you need it today.

I will happily buy your I7 6700 from you if you have found it doesn't meet your needs!!!!

Microsoft said that it was a driver problem with Windows 10, if I'm not mistaken, so we have to wait for fixed drivers from NVIDIA. Unfortunately NVIDIA thought that releasing a driver with a profile for the Ashes of the Singularity alpha was a higher priority than fixing system-breaking bugs.

I'm more interested in seeing what SLI performance is like with Skylake in Windows 7 or 8.1 at this point where we know SLI is still working.

Microsoft said that it was a driver problem with Windows 10, if I'm not mistaken, so we have to wait for fixed drivers from NVIDIA. Unfortunately NVIDIA thought that releasing a driver with a profile for the Ashes of the Singularity alpha was a higher priority than fixing system-breaking bugs.

I'm more interested in seeing what SLI performance is like with Skylake in Windows 7 or 8.1 at this point where we know SLI is still working.

same issues windows 8.1 so I do not think it is a windows 10 issue

https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20150816075401746&SLanguage=en-us&board_id=1&model=Z170-DELUXE&page=1

I will happily buy your I7 6700 from you if you have found it doesn't meet your needs!!!!

Still waiting like you.

If it is a nvidia or Windows 10 issue then maybe x99 users are affected too? I wonder what kind of SLI performance they are seeing in Windows 10.

Still waiting like you.

If it is a nvidia or Windows 10 issue then maybe x99 users are affected too? I wonder what kind of SLI performance they are seeing in Windows 10.

Would be nice to know, but all the Benchmarks from reviews ( yes I am looking at you [H]) are being done with windows 7 or 8.1 for a number of reasons some valid, but why should a valid reason let them off the hook!

I know that I had issues with my nVidia driver when I upgraded to windows 10, but it only took like 5 - 10 minutes to sort out and it was the day right after nVidia had released their win10 driver.

Here is some benchmarks looking at 8x vs 16x SLI on x99 boards, but I have no idea what OS he used. Most likely not windows 10 https://youtu.be/rctaLgK5stA?t=4m6s

Last edited:
oh, just in terms that they ran 6700/z170/sli with stable frame rates. I'm planning the same config as fellow builders so if there is a potential problem, I hope asus fixes it soon.

So far I still think the MAXIMUS VIII HERO is the best ASUS board for the money. I would go as far as to say it appears to be better than the Deluxe unless you need wifi, it has support for faster RAM and might have better on board sound.

EVGA lost me when they didnt include a 3c connector on the FTW, Gigabyte is all over the place in cost by including too many things, I think the G1 should be renamed kitchen sink, MSI stupid killer NIC, but otherwise the M7 actually appears to be a good option.

I dont care about colors, though I have considered intentionally trying to make the color of every single component clash just for fun. I already have the ugliest fans so..

Ugh - to be honest, I'd prefer (surprisingly) Realtek NICs to the Killer NICs (especially since I multi-boot), but Intel to Realtek. If Gigabyte had Alpine Ridge AND Intel gigabit at a decent price, I'd buy (as ASUS has no Alpine Ridge currently) - at least ASUS has a choice of either Intel or Realtek at the affordable end of things - which is more than anyone else can say.

oh, just in terms that they ran 6700/z170/sli with stable frame rates. I'm planning the same config as fellow builders so if there is a potential problem, I hope asus fixes it soon.

there is already a hotfix from nvidia for the sli issue, it was a driver problem

there is already a hotfix from nvidia for the sli issue, it was a driver problem

cool, right on man, had no idea! thanks will look into it. I put together my 6700/asus deluxe/gskill3000mhz build yesterday and so far so good. I haven't checked out this sli issue yet as im having numerous problems upgrading to 10 from windows 7. ugh. thanks though Ill check out this hotfix!

Back