Skylake/Z170 finally available

Yeah, but dude, you get to watch Gary, George, and Matt The Cravat on Masterchef Australia. That, plus the endless sunshine, is enough for me to trade in my place in Canada. Wanna swap? :)

lol omg! i don't watch much TV, but if i do, i'm very much OVER all the whiz-bang all cooking-all-singing-all-dancing crap! Luckily i PVR most of it (if anything) and skip ads at viewing time. Having said all that.... still no deal. soz bro! (with an extra thick NZ accent put-on coz i'm Beached Az!).
:p

Actually, I've spent almost a year in Queensland and I know how ridiculous the Oz Charge is. There really is no reason why the markups on many computer components have to be so high there but just up the strait a bit in places like Singapore and Taiwan, they're US priced (or sometimes below).

Joking aside, yeah you're dead right... there is no reason for it. "They" would like to have you believe there are reasons for it, siting Exchange Rates or Freight costs or Economics of Scale and all other manner of bullshyte. But anyone that can get two brain cells to colide once a day knows that its a world market and those archaic last century business practises dont apply any more, its just gouging where they have a slight hope of any kind of poor excuse to do so and get away with it. Its just not on PC Hardware either, its EVERYTHING! Even software! yes... software.. the stuff that doesn't change one iota where you download it from or how many times they let customers buy it.. its still cost them the same ZERO dollars to sell it to someone in AUS as opposed to someone in the U.S.

Anyway sorry for the rant! :p

170 series motherboards... just wanted to mention this in case others havent noticed as i was doing some research into which boards are candidates at this stage for my particular wants and needs. So far the only motherboards i've seen that have two USB-C connectors is one of the Gigabyte boards. The "GA-Z170X-UD5 TH" seems to have two on the back plate. Just in case someone was wanting more. The only other one that comes close to that is the Asrock's with that extra front panel addition thingy (which is quite a good thing). Hopfully the image i seen of the back plane on the eStore isnt incorrect and my hopes will be dashed for more then one USB-C! I'll have to check their official specs when i get a chance though so take this with a grain.

As I've said, Intel artificially limits the platform on the mainstream side. They like this segmented mainstream and enthusiast/professional market. They always have. To some extent, costs are part of it. There isn't as much margin in computer hardware as you would imagine. The only place we really see high margins at all are with regard to high end CPUs, video cards, and drives.

True, and I wouldn't mind that fact except that the mainstream platform isn't the only thing that they artificially limit. Intel artificially limits (in some way) virtually everything they produce, including their top, high-margin SKUs.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Typical paper launch, nvidia style. Hype it up and put just enough inventory out there for the reviewers and those lucky enough to click buy before anyone else. You'd think we could move past these obvious marketing ploys by now...

Not to mention that price! What happened to $350?? Looks like I'll be waiting a while for things to settle down. EOY if these prices are legit.

32 GB (2x16) for $289
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0134EW44S/?tag=pcpapi-20

Since it is dual channel, there is no performance penalty for just getting two of them and then eventually upgrading to 64GB down the road.

We'll see when teh actual upgrade happens. That's definitely beyond what i typically budget for memory. 250 was already a stretch. To me, 150-200 is what I typically spend.

I think I'd be more likely to get 2 8 GB sticks. I can't imagine I'll need 64 GB of ram in the next 3 years. Even 32 is more than I'll use.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I emailed French Amazon asking why they haven't shipped my i7 yet, and they're like "I can't ship you one cuz we're out of stock" I ORDERED IT 4 DAYS AGO AND YOU SOLD IT TO SOMEONE ELSE holy shit. Guaranteed Delivery by Tuesday my ass.

Typical paper launch, nvidia style. Hype it up and put just enough inventory out there for the reviewers and those lucky enough to click buy before anyone else. You'd think we could move past these obvious marketing ploys by now...

Not to mention that price! What happened to $350?? Looks like I'll be waiting a while for things to settle down. EOY if these prices are legit.

I'm pretty sure Intel said it'd come out this summer. Summer ends on 9/20 or 21. Honestly, a week ago, I didn't know whether they'd have chips available or not and I'd already read they wouldn't have lots of supply when they did launch.

Besides, none of the good boards are out yet, so I'm not worried. Maybe I'll end up buying one of the cheaper boards, but I'd like to see more variety before committing 1-200 bucks on an MB

Amazon resellers price gouging.

I emailed French Amazon asking why they haven't shipped my i7 yet, and they're like "I can't ship you one cuz we're out of stock" I ORDERED IT 4 DAYS AGO AND YOU SOLD IT TO SOMEONE ELSE holy shit. Guaranteed Delivery by Tuesday my ass.

In the same boat: Est Delivery 8/11, still hasn't shipped.There was still stock when I ordered and they didn't add the limited stock notice until the next day.

In the same boat: Est Delivery 8/11, still hasn't shipped.There was still stock when I ordered and they didn't add the limited stock notice until the next day.
On the plus side, maybe I'll have time to wait for a m-itx motherboard that isn't overpriced and shit (EVGA Stinger). Seriously, $200, no wifi and no USB Type C.

Dual channel and quad channel don't show ANY performance increase compared to single. So just get 1 16GB and have possibility to upgrade to 32, 48 or 64.

???

Each channel is a 64bit lane to a bank of memory.
If you don't have a dimm per memory channel, then the memory bus width shrinks.

???

Each channel is a 64bit lane to a bank of memory.
If you don't have a dimm per memory channel, then the memory bus width shrinks.

I think he means most real world applicatons where it really doesn't matter. I've only seen two instances where memory bandwith matters: synthetic benchmarks, and file compression. Unless you're planning to rar terabytes of data I think you're fine with single channel ram.

So I'm about to have no primary system. Because I already arranged sale of my 4790k and MB.

Thanks Intel. Thank's a ton. I'm going to be sitting on a MB and DDR4 RAM but no CPU until who knows when.

Great launch.

So I'm about to have no primary system. Because I already arranged sale of my 4790k and MB.

Thanks Intel. Thank's a ton. I'm going to be sitting on a MB and DDR4 RAM but no CPU until who knows when.

Great launch.

Doing the same thing here. Except I parted out my rig in February. I was using a cheap laptop but I sold it last week. Only a tablet and an iPhone remain.

I didn't buy any new parts yet though, I'm too afraid of a DOA. I won't order anything until everything I want is in stock.

Great launch.
I just got my email from French Amazon saying that they don't have the i7 I ordered last week. Google translate isn't the best, but I think they are saying I won't have to pay for shipping when it eventually gets restocked.

"Aucuns frais d'envoi ne vous seront facturés pour l'envoi de vos autres colis.
Nous ne vous facturerons que le prix des articles.

Nous n'avons pas été en mesure d'envoyer les articles suivants dans les délais promis. Sauf indication contraire ci-dessous, vos articles devraient être expédies dans un délai de 1 à 2 jours ouvrés."

Can someone translate this? Google Translate is kinda shit.

Last edited:
I just got my email from French Amazon saying that they don't have the i7 I ordered last week. Google translate isn't the best, but I think they are saying I won't have to pay for shipping when it eventually gets restocked.

Can someone translate this? Google Translate is kinda shit.

Google Translate:
"No shipping only will be charged for sending your other packages.
We only charge you the price of items.
We have not been able to send the following articles in the promised time. Unless otherwise indicated below, your items should be shipped within 1 to 2 days wrought."

Seems like free shipping and 1-2 days for shipment.

Looks like Amazon.com pulled the listing for the i7 6700k that had been listed by resellers price-gouging and not delivering until September.

Might be a sign they're going to put their own pre-orders up soon.

Looks like Amazon.com pulled the listing for the i7 6700k that had been listed by resellers price-gouging and not delivering until September.

Might be a sign they're going to put their own pre-orders up soon.

Still there, just doesn't come up on searches because there's no merchants selling it anymore, maybe they cracked down on the merchants themselves (or Intel did). On the upside, now you can sign up to be notified when it's in stock, FWIW:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012M8LXQW

Got an ASUS Z170-A here, a 256GB SM951, and 32GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 to go along with it... Not terribly stressed by lack of availability tho since I might not have the time to assemble the system at all for a couple weeks.

I didn't see the price on any of this dropping in the immediate future tho so I grabbed it. The DDR4 kit I wanted in blue in particular seems to go out of stock quickly at the Egg and Amazon's got it priced way higher.

6600k In stock @ newegg

Was able to order one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-117-561&FM=1

Yep, you'd think they'd put out the 6700K first to tempt people who were on the fence between them, or simultaneously at least, tho I guess the lower binned one is easier to crank out.

Gonna be mildly annoying to keep an eye on this all week since it seems likely they'll drop the 6700K before Friday. Paper launches are so last decade... :p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-117-561&FM=1

Yep, you'd think they'd put out the 6700K first to tempt people who were on the fence between them, or simultaneously at least, tho I guess the lower binned one is easier to crank out.

Gonna be mildly annoying to keep an eye on this all week since it seems likely they'll drop the 6700K before Friday. Paper launches are so last decade... :p

I thought 6700K are coming this Friday?

I didn't buy any new parts yet though, I'm too afraid of a DOA. I won't order anything until everything I want is in stock.

^This. No way I'm buying any parts until Intel actually launches this processor instead of giving the world lip service about a part that so far is a myth beyond OEMs and reviewers. Too much chance of having a bad part laying in wait beyond the Amazon return policy if you wait for these processors to arrive in 30-60 days.

MC has the 6600K in stock in STL, but the price is $269....yikes...

I get most will be after the 6700K but I figured someone might want to know.

Do you guys think ITX motherboards will come out in time for Fall Out 4? That's when I plan to build a new computer.

MC has the 6600K in stock in STL, but the price is $269....yikes...

I get most will be after the 6700K but I figured someone might want to know.

We have a 6600 at every corner but for over 300 translated to usd.

But that includes VAT. Americans don't pay that, so if we import it, it would be cheaper.

Except we can't since if we import it we have to pay duty on top of the VAT. They check every packet nowadays. So the only way to import it "cheap" is to go out personally and carry it back in your luggage.

Except we can't since if we import it we have to pay duty on top of the VAT. They check every packet nowadays. So the only way to import it "cheap" is to go out personally and carry it back in your luggage.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm American lol. Sort of changes the meaning of my post. Should have specified.

Just showed up as OOS @ MC Fairfax; oddly enough, MC Rockville has plenty - same price as Amazon ($269.99). Still, MC doesn't have that many motherboards; but the ones they DO have are cheaper than Amazon's.

This is ALSO why multiple MC locations should be checked where feasible - what one location may lack, another location may actually have. (At least I didn't have to include MC Towson in the checklist; while technically reachable, they ARE a bit far.)

Has anyone gotten one (from anywhere)? I simply want to confirm the lack of HSF.

Last edited:
I thought I read MC had the ASUS Z170-AR for $180? It's $165 at Amazon... Well, the -A, same thing + VGA.

lol omg! i don't watch much TV, but if i do, i'm very much OVER all the whiz-bang all cooking-all-singing-all-dancing crap! Luckily i PVR most of it (if anything) and skip ads at viewing time. Having said all that.... still no deal. soz bro! (with an extra thick NZ accent put-on coz i'm Beached Az!).
:p

Joking aside, yeah you're dead right... there is no reason for it. "They" would like to have you believe there are reasons for it, siting Exchange Rates or Freight costs or Economics of Scale and all other manner of bullshyte. But anyone that can get two brain cells to colide once a day knows that its a world market and those archaic last century business practises dont apply any more, its just gouging where they have a slight hope of any kind of poor excuse to do so and get away with it. Its just not on PC Hardware either, its EVERYTHING! Even software! yes... software.. the stuff that doesn't change one iota where you download it from or how many times they let customers buy it.. its still cost them the same ZERO dollars to sell it to someone in AUS as opposed to someone in the U.S.

Anyway sorry for the rant! :p

170 series motherboards... just wanted to mention this in case others havent noticed as i was doing some research into which boards are candidates at this stage for my particular wants and needs. So far the only motherboards i've seen that have two USB-C connectors is one of the Gigabyte boards. The "GA-Z170X-UD5 TH" seems to have two on the back plate. Just in case someone was wanting more. The only other one that comes close to that is the Asrock's with that extra front panel addition thingy (which is quite a good thing). Hopfully the image i seen of the back plane on the eStore isnt incorrect and my hopes will be dashed for more then one USB-C! I'll have to check their official specs when i get a chance though so take this with a grain.

Ah, Masterchef Oz on PVR, so you can slomo through the times George takes a spicy bite and his sprinkler head sets off! :D

The Oz computer price ripoff has absolutely no justification whatsoever and if Tony Abbott really wanted to ingratiate himself to a large portion of the electorate he's launch an inquiry into this gouging. However, that's not likely to happen anytime soon since most of the general populace not just in Australia but here in Canada as well are a bunch of indolent apathetic sheep. We are now paying almost exactly the same price for fuel than when crude was at $145. It's $42 today and do you think that Canadians are marching in the streets and burning oil execs in effigy? No chance, they just sigh, cry into their Tim Horton's cups, and pay and pay and pay.

BTW, no movement at all in 6700K availability here. Only NCIX has a price (CDN$469) and no hint of when it's going to be available. Maybe it's time to burn Intel execs in effigy? ;)

I can confirm that the Dallas Microcenter doesn't have the 6700k. They do have the 6600k.

ShopBLT inventory tracker show the following ETAs for their warehouses

California, Southern 09-03-2015
Texas 09-24-2015
Tennessee 09-10-2015
Illinois 09-17-2015
Pennsylvania 09-10-20 15

Well...MA Tax Free weekend this Sat/Sun. I can buy a 5820k @ Microcenter for $299 tax free or wait. My current Ivy Bridge mobo is turning off constantly.:( Unfortunately I didn't avail myself of that MSI X99 SLI Plus deal @ Newegg earlier last week for $140 so I'll probably pick up a X99A SLI Plus refurb for $180 or something.

I should have jumped on that motherboard deal last week.:(

Either that or just pick up another refurb Ivy Bridge mobo for ~$80. Seems like too much work to stick another Ivy Bridge mobo in there.

Well...MA Tax Free weekend this Sat/Sun. I can buy a 5820k @ Microcenter for $299 tax free or wait. My current Ivy Bridge mobo is turning off constantly.:( Unfortunately I didn't avail myself of that MSI X99 SLI Plus deal @ Newegg earlier last week for $140 so I'll probably pick up a X99A SLI Plus refurb for $180 or something.

I should have jumped on that motherboard deal last week.:(

Either that or just pick up another refurb Ivy Bridge mobo for ~$80. Seems like too much work to stick another Ivy Bridge mobo in there.

If you're a gamer then I'd say go for the 5820k at that price.

I'm stuck waiting. I'm planning an HTPC build at the moment and I actually want the integrated graphics. I was going to build a gaming rig too but I'm not sure what I'm doing with that now. Skylake's a little disappointing and I'm 2+ hours away from a Microcenter.

Back