Skylake silicon and test boards spotted

If Skylake doesn't use solder between IHS and CPU, AND offer a reasonably priced 6-core "K" offering, they can shove it as well.

If Skylake doesn't use solder between IHS and CPU, AND offer a reasonably priced 6-core "K" offering, they can shove it as well.

To me its highly likely that neither will happen on the mainstream.

Although I believe the 5820K is already quite reasonably priced.

To me its highly likely that neither will happen on the mainstream.

Although I believe the 5820K is already quite reasonably priced.

Yup, $300 from Microcenter makes it a steal. You'll likely not see a six-core part much cheaper than that until after Skylake.

I will say that EVENTUALLY Intel will have to up the core counts on the mainstream, if only to keep up with the E platform. I mean, if 8 cores is suddenly $389, it becomes more pressing for Intel tom offer 6 cores on the mainstream :D

But again, don't expect anything of this until after Cannonlake.

Last edited:

I don't expect the upcoming mainstream socket to offer a 6-core die. And I think you can give up on expecting solder between the IHS and CPU for any of Intel's mainstream CPUs.

I don't expect the upcoming mainstream socket to offer a 6-core die. And I think you can give up on expecting solder between the IHS and CPU for any of Intel's mainstream CPUs.

Haswell-E isn't even soldered using proper fluxless solder. It uses epoxy, which is also unacceptable. There is absolutely zero technical reason to have moved away from fluxless solder on the mainstream parts, let alone the enthusiast platform. The unavoidable conclusion is that Intel is pinching pennies here and they should continue to be punished for it.

Back