Skylake-Based Z170 Gaming Mini ITX Motherboard

hello again,

I got the gigabyte 170n wifi and a i5-6600k.
I thought that overcloking on skylake would be much better than previous models.
Alot of revieuwing sites say that it gets 4.5GHz easely.

Maybe im doing something wrong but i get blue screens when going higher than 4.4GHz..
overvolting dousent help either.:(

do i have bad luck and got a i5 that just dousent go higher than 4.4GHz, or can the motherboard play a factor in this?

Have you tried setting the voltage to fixed and upping it to something like 1.3v? I couldn't get past 4.4GHz without increasing the voltage.

hello again,

I got the gigabyte 170n wifi and a i5-6600k.
I thought that overcloking on skylake would be much better than previous models.
Alot of revieuwing sites say that it gets 4.5GHz easely.

Maybe im doing something wrong but i get blue screens when going higher than 4.4GHz..
overvolting dousent help either.:(

do i have bad luck and got a i5 that just dousent go higher than 4.4GHz, or can the motherboard play a factor in this?

My 6700k / GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 goes to 4.6GHz on air with everything set default / auto, it craps out at 4.7 with default settings. I have not figured out why yet but seeing as it's going in an NCASE M1 on air then won't be going much beyond this anyway.

@jb1 : I completely agree.

Having dome similar certifications myself my guess is that they do not want to make promises that they cannot deliver on. Intel may also restrict them from even using the term Thunderbolt until after they have completed the certification. I just wish they would get on with it and/or provide us with an update.

The Gaming 5 would be the perfect ITX board if it had Thunderbolt! no... let's be more optimistic than that... The Gaming 5 will be the perfect ITX board once it has Thunderbolt! ;)

The only thing that makes me doubt what you say and I do hope you are correct as I own this board and some TB1 devices, is the BIOS size, 64Mb vs. 128Mb for all the other GB Z170 boards. I've had a look inside the images and there are no obvious modules called TB3 or anything, the trouble is that there does not seem to be a lot of room left in there unless they have specifically reserved a ROM hole.

@brams: Interesting observation. Do you know if there was anything in the Z170X-Gaming 7 BIOS before the update to unlock Thunderbolt 3?

Also... I do not recall Gigabyte saying anything officially about TB in the Gaming 7 before the official announcement.

I certainly hope they are able to enable it! I guess only time will tell for sure.

@brams: Interesting observation. Do you know if there was anything in the Z170X-Gaming 7 BIOS before the update to unlock Thunderbolt 3?

Also... I do not recall Gigabyte saying anything officially about TB in the Gaming 7 before the official announcement.

I certainly hope they are able to enable it! I guess only time will tell for sure.

Actually I did, I've been through all 3 of them (the ones that got the TB3 update) and also the also the UD5-TH (did this one quite a while ago). It is not obvious what was added or modified unlike AMI Aptio 4 BIOS's in which most of the modules are named. These new Aptio 5 most of the stuff is unnamed not sure if this is normal or a quirk of MM tool 5. I've diffed pre and post TB3 bios images using 010 Editor and used beyond compare and it's not obvious what changed. I checked the PCI-E lane configuration (which looks like they can be reconfigured anyway using Flash Image Tool and the lanes look like the are configured the same)

As Alpine Ridge is alive and well on the board then assuming GB don't enable it, then in theory you could hack a BIOS up using modules from other models. You'd probably need a 128MB SPI flash chip and a soldering iron and an SPI programmer.

I bought the Asrock one, no POST no beeps -> Bent Pins! Bought another one the graphics slot was broken so I didn't take it and the RMA of the first one was rejected. Contacted Asrock they told me they'll replace it if I pay the shipping back and forth, got a brand new board. NO POST NO BEEPS! ;__;

I spent 2k two months ago and it still doesnt do anything at all! All fans spinning no POST no beeps I beg you someone tell me what to do :( I'll be in your debt of you can help me!

Guys, who knows, Dark Rock TF fit in Impact VIII with Trident Z?
Dont wanna go to Asus z170i Pro gaming :((

I bought the Asrock one, no POST no beeps -> Bent Pins! Bought another one the graphics slot was broken so I didn't take it and the RMA of the first one was rejected. Contacted Asrock they told me they'll replace it if I pay the shipping back and forth, got a brand new board. NO POST NO BEEPS! ;__;

I spent 2k two months ago and it still doesnt do anything at all! All fans spinning no POST no beeps I beg you someone tell me what to do :( I'll be in your debt of you can help me!

I had a case whereby my AIO cooler applied too much pressure on the CPU if I screw the block fully in, causing it to not post. It's probably not what's happening to you, though.

I bought the Asrock one, no POST no beeps

Maybe it's your ram? Is your ram on their compatibility list? I'm pretty sure there's no onboard speaker, so you wouldn't hear beeps anyway. Or if you have an old case with a speaker you could plug the wire in.

Maybe it's your ram? Is your ram on their compatibility list? I'm pretty sure there's no onboard speaker, so you wouldn't hear beeps anyway. Or if you have an old case with a speaker you could plug the wire in.

Not to mention that beep on startup is disable by default and there's no onboard speaker as well.

Not to mention that beep on startup is disable by default and there's no onboard speaker as well.

I have connected a speaker to it, there really are no beeps, unless the speaker is broken as well 0: Yes the RAM is on the supported list.

I tried putting my mouse into the USB slots to see if it gets power and it lit up for a millisecond and then went of again, I can connect and reconnect the mouse and it will always do the same. I tried once without RAM and the Power button showed no reaction at all o_O After reinserting the RAM CPU Fan spins again and Power light comes up.

No beep is normal. Like I said the UEFI disable beep by default. You have to enable it once you can reach the UEFI.

Can you tell us what did you connect to the Mobo ? Do you use a GPU ? Did you connect your video out on the GPU ?

New F6 bios for Gigabyte Z170N-wifi. Anyone try it yet?

Hi and yes, using F6 Bios for the last few days... couldn't find any info on what has been changed though!

I initially installed Windows 10 and used the i5 6600K on board graphics DVI output and could seen Bios load screen with no issues at all.

Installed my lovely new 970GTX and... Black screen until windows 10 has loaded approx. 17 sec, it's no big deal but this also happens every time their is a screen resolution change which is more annoying. Most modern games are fine, but the old stuff, well 17 sec delay with black screen.

Not sure if it's Windows 10/Graphic drivers/Bios or faulty card, but their seems to be quite a bit of it about. I assume you have had no issues?

No beep is normal. Like I said the UEFI disable beep by default. You have to enable it once you can reach the UEFI.

Can you tell us what did you connect to the Mobo ? Do you use a GPU ? Did you connect your video out on the GPU ?

I7 6700k and I did use hdmi to the mainboard no gpu (i got a 980ti but its eating dust in the cupboard)

thank you i sent it in to some repair team now and hope it will not be too expensive hoping that the new mainboard didnt get fried again by the cpu (assuming thats it) well at this point idc about my money anymore just want to have a running pc

Hi and yes, using F6 Bios for the last few days... couldn't find any info on what has been changed though!

I initially installed Windows 10 and used the i5 6600K on board graphics DVI output and could seen Bios load screen with no issues at all.

Installed my lovely new 970GTX and... Black screen until windows 10 has loaded approx. 17 sec, it's no big deal but this also happens every time their is a screen resolution change which is more annoying. Most modern games are fine, but the old stuff, well 17 sec delay with black screen.

Not sure if it's Windows 10/Graphic drivers/Bios or faulty card, but their seems to be quite a bit of it about. I assume you have had no issues?
Thanks for your info. I've not installed it, yet.

Is anyone else having issues with playing back sound through spdif on the gigabyte z170n gaming-5? I'm on Windows 10 and have tried all sorts of drivers but i get no sound through spdif only. The auxiliary ports work though =/

Had no issues on the gaming 5 with my 970 (Asus mini). Did you change the bios setting for which display device to use first? I would disable the integrated video and set it to use the Pci card first. Sometimes the auto settings can cause delays, mine worked fine with the 970 on first boot though, have not tried the Intel on my i5

Hi Ail

Glad to read everything is working ok.

Bios setting have been changed to disabled integrated no difference, I have actually read that this is something that can happen if you use the integrated graphics first, before plugging in your graphics card... I'm not sure where the problem lies to be honest it could be even my aging monitor or even a DVI issue, or Bios/Windows 10/Graphic Drivers. lol

Ok that's interesting if I change screen resolution manually there is no issue, but if a program changes it, like to run intro video at a different res I get black screen for approx. 15 sec. It's the old games, maybe a compatibility issue? Still on boot just a black screen approx. 15 sec when the screen displays windows is already loaded and ready to go.

It's not a big deal, just mildly annoying.

Last edited:
Anyone who's bought the AsRock Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac, do you remember which bios version it came with? I'm a bit concerned my ram won't work with the earlier bios version.

Does anyone use an Asrock gaming itx, and have a m.2 ssd? I've got a problem.

I can't boot from the my new 950 pro. I select it as the boot drive, and is met with 'reboot select proper boot device'. The way to fix it for me is to select 'windows boot manager' as the number 1 boot drive. When that's done, everything boots normally, and there's nothing extra. I've never seen this listed as a boot drive, and have no clue what the hell it is, but when I set it as 1, I can get into windows 10. Anyone knows how to get rid of it, and allow myself to just boot from the 950 pro? I don't see why I need to select that as boot drive in order to get into windows.

Also, for some reason, the 950 pro doesn't show up in NVME config and m.2 is listed as 'not detected' under UEFI, any idea why?

Lastly, my windows load screen is replaced with Asrock load screen ever since bios v1.3, I don't necessarily dislike it, but is there an option to toggle it?

"Windows Boot Manager" is the UEFI Boot Entry. If you remove that you will not be able to boot into an OS anymore if you setup a UEFI/GPT installation. Leave it set as first.

There should be an option to turn off the boot logo and revert it back to the regular UEFI boot screen, it should be in the "Boot" section, probably called "Full Screen Logo".

Has anyone installed a 950 pro and not been impressed (other than benches)? I'm gonna get a ~500GB m.2 SSD of some sort soon, and considering getting the 850 EVO. I do media work (lots of encoding/transcoding), some gaming, but really don't do any heavy i/o lifting work. It seems like paying half $$ might get me essentially the same real-world performance, and maybe I'll step up to a TB PCIe NVMe drive after the performance takes a bigger leap and the thermal throttling isn't an issue.

Using a Gigabyte z710n Gaming 5.

There's questions here http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts...msung-950-pro-m2-not-recognised-z170-extreme7 about NVMe booting on Asrock - I'm hoping it's doable as I've now got my gaming ITX ready to build and a 950 on the way - but the fact you're seeing 'windows boot manager' does sound like its all working OK.

As to whether the 950 will bring any real benefits - it's more a case of choosing the best bits around at the moment for a new build (the i7 was very expensive too) that will live in an ITX case for several years (i.e. apart from GPUs wont get any upgrades)

Hi Ail

Glad to read everything is working ok.

Bios setting have been changed to disabled integrated no difference, I have actually read that this is something that can happen if you use the integrated graphics first, before plugging in your graphics card... I'm not sure where the problem lies to be honest it could be even my aging monitor or even a DVI issue, or Bios/Windows 10/Graphic Drivers. lol

Ok that's interesting if I change screen resolution manually there is no issue, but if a program changes it, like to run intro video at a different res I get black screen for approx. 15 sec. It's the old games, maybe a compatibility issue? Still on boot just a black screen approx. 15 sec when the screen displays windows is already loaded and ready to go.

It's not a big deal, just mildly annoying.

That is interesting, if you feel like messing with it, it might be worth using the jumper to reset the bios and then start it back up like its fresh. That might get it to foget the Intel video was ever used...just a random thought.

Update so far I have been able to figure out the following it seems like the Z170X-Gaming G1 always had Thunderbolt 3 enabled, Gigabyte just didn't tell anybody (I have not physically tested this but looking at the BIOS using AMIBCP 64 I can see TB3 was always there from the earliest BIOS F2 until the latest one F5.

I also looked at the next smallest board the mATX GA-Z170MX Gaming 5 and that too has got Thunderbolt 3 modules. Unfortunately for us the ITX gaming 5 does not contain any TB3 modules and never has. The MX G5 also looks like TB3 was enabled at the beginning F1 and disabled sometime after (I have no looked at any interim BIOSes)

So with all of this in mind that the ITX vs all the other boards has a 64Mb vs 128Mb BIOS flash chip then I don't think Gigabyte will be enabling TB3 on the ITX G5 board.

Top left in [] brackets tells you which model and BIOS version you are looking at

Z170_NG5.png
[/url] hosting image[/IMG]

Z170_XGG1_F2.png
[/url] images upload[/IMG]

Z170_XGG1_F5.png
[/url] picture host[/IMG]

Z170_MXG5_F1.png
[/url] screen shot windows 7[/IMG]

Z170_MXG5_F4b.png
[/url] post a picture[/IMG]

Good detective work! So it looks like there is some hope for the mATX but ever dwindling chances for the ITX. That's really a shame... I was hoping to build a silent Skylake system with TB3 using the HDPlex H1.S but I guess I'm going to have to use the much larger H5 with a ATX or nATX board.

Good detective work! So it looks like there is some hope for the mATX but ever dwindling chances for the ITX. That's really a shame... I was hoping to build a silent Skylake system with TB3 using the HDPlex H1.S but I guess I'm going to have to use the much larger H5 with a ATX or nATX board.

Thanks. As far as I can tell the ASUS VIII Impact has Thunderbolt in the BIOS but it's not enabled. The option to enable it is there but the BIOS will then need resigning which only ASUS can do. You could however remove the chip as it's socketed and then flash it with an SPI programmer which can be had for about 10 bucks

Thanks for your info. I've not installed it, yet.

Hi Saens need a little help please

If your motherboard is still uninstalled could you please take a look at the Cmos battery see page 13 and number 5 on diagram of manual.

It is not immediately obvious when fitted as to how the battery pops out as the case is small and your looking straight down. If you could take a look please, and give me a clue as to how to remove the battery that would be great.

As to why... well I reset the Cmos by shorting the Jumper at 15 which did work as the Audio light is now back on (I'd switched it off in Bios) everything is working except I cannot get into Bios, yeah know.I'll learn one day!

Hi Saens need a little help please

If your motherboard is still uninstalled could you please take a look at the Cmos battery see page 13 and number 5 on diagram of manual.

It is not immediately obvious when fitted as to how the battery pops out as the case is small and your looking straight down. If you could take a look please, and give me a clue as to how to remove the battery that would be great.

As to why... well I reset the Cmos by shorting the Jumper at 15 which did work as the Audio light is now back on (I'd switched it off in Bios) everything is working except I cannot get into Bios, yeah know.I'll learn one day!
I meant not installed the latest bios yet. The board is running for several weeks already.
I also didnt manage to take the battery out by the way. But managed to undo the cable connecting the battery to the mobo.

But if it's running, why not mash delete when starting up?

Last edited:
Holding delete just sends it in to a power off and restart loop.

The battery holder looks like it may have a screw in and it looks like some kind of cam shell thing difficult to see...once installed.

Back