Skylake-Based Z170 Gaming Mini ITX Motherboard

Maximus VIII Impact will be shown on ROG Unleashed Event October 9th. Finally. I hope they bring some new cool new stuff to this board compared to previous generations.

Nice. I really really really hope it will have a thunderbolt 3 enabled USB-C connector so I don't have to wait longer for my next ITX board.

Sent a ticket to Gigabyte a while ago asking about TB3 support on the gaming5.
Got the following response

Really?! That's disappointing. The manual for that motherboard clearly state that the board contains an Intel® ThunderboltTM 3 Controller on page 5 and page 8.

It refers to the Alpine Ridge chip as a 'thunderbolt controller', but nowhere on either the webpage for the board, marketing materials for the board (though the Gaming 5 is often mentioned along with Gigabytes other Gaming series boards that do have Thunderbolt, which may confuse some), or in the manual, does it ever state that Thunderbolt is supported as an interface.

Interesting... cooling options might be limited with that huge sound card cover and other vertical board. The sata port placement would have been a PITA for my build as well. Hope it has all the features others have been waiting for. Think I'm still pretty happy with the gigabyte other than the fan control. I knew it was limited but didn't expect it to be so basic, my system could be a lot quieter at idle.

The board looks awesome. From the bios pictures looks like it has thunderbolt too. I can't find the m.2 connector :(

The U.2 connector is a nice feature ! This is the only Z170 mITX board I've seen with it.
I'm guessing an M.2 connector might still be possible on the back like most Z170 boards have.

The huge sound PCB is indeed something to look out for when installing low-profile coolers and considering orientations.
Here's hoping they also fixed PWM signaling on the fan headers (M7I only had CPU_FAN as PWM).

Yep, where is the M.2?

And where do you folks see the U.2 port? At the back sandwiched between Wifi & Audio?

I hope they still support a mobo water block from EK or Bitspower. I see a disturbing capacitor close to the chipset heatsink.

That CMOS battery cable ain't too pretty. More disturbing the more I look at it.

Other than that, great looking board I think.

Damn, no DisplayPort??

Last edited:
Assuming the M.2 is on the back of the mobo, is it even possible to use both M.2 and U.2 at the same time?

We'll see what the spec says... about the DisplayPort, 99,9% of target group will use discrete GPU so no need for any display connectors imo. What makes me smile though is that it has only 5 regular USB ports in comparison to the Z170I PG and no PS/2. I know most users don't need that (for myself, i did not, for a long time too) but I'm typing this sentence on a nice 20 yo keyboard :) However you could also argue that 99,9% of target group don't need PS/2 :D so, perfectly designed board (assuming it has M.2 somehow, otherwise big fail from Asus looking at the upcoming m.2 drives like Samsung 950 Pro)

Regarding DisplayPort, I guess it's a small chance the USB Type C could work as one.

I also hope the Wifi Go hides a M.2 wifi card inside, and not mPCIe.

There is still hope for this board, but Asus needs to get it right when the fact sheets are coming.

According to the Z170I PG manual, the wifi on that board is m.2. Since the M8I has the same wifi chassis it's likely that there is also an m.2 slot under there

Guys, i just had an idea about the missing m.2. The u.2 connector seems in a really weird place for storage (you'd had to route the cable across the board). Additionally there is no other IO in the place of the U.2 connector. Therefore it's possible Asus might include a m.2 addon card you can plug into the U.2 connector ;)

I've not heard of a card that plugs into U2 to give M2 only the other way around. The Intel SFF U2 SSDs seem very expensive - worse even than the pre-order prices for the 950 M2.

The lack is visible mounting hole for a reverse side M2 is the worry - it would have to be under the Z170 heatsink or that audio shield construction (itself something of zero value of those of us using HDMI audio)

It does say M.2 (WIFI) right by the U.2 and Wifi adapter. Not sure what that means.

Hmm, I've been waiting for this board, but now that it's revealed, I'm no longer sure if it'll be compatible with my C14 with dual fans.

Seeing the pictures makes me think I won't be upgrading to skylake.

The things tempting me were the M.2 SSD compatibility, USB C, and low TDP cpu's.
I suppose I'll want to see how Zen is, and if it's too hot for me I'll hang on to my 3570K until I need something better or am tempted into upgrading.

If the board does not come with m.2 SSD support that will be disappointing. I have bought all the parts for my mITX build apart from the motherboard. I hope Raja@ASUS can shed some light on this.

Well, underwhelmed. I like what they did with the audio components, but why put it that close to the CPU socket? I see conflicts with many top-blow coolers, which discqualifies the board in many SFF-scenarios. Not sure if it will fit with what I want to build into the Raven RVZ02/Milo ML08. Don't see an M.2 socket. If it doesn't have one, it might be not for me. SATA-ports still in the middle of the board (minor nitpick). Only six USB-connectors. I don't need a WIFi-module. And while I like the new ROG color theme on the larger boards, I'm not happy with how it looks in this format.

M.2 will be present, I'm not worry. no visible holes doesn't mean it's not there. Can you see holes on the ASrock Z170 Gaming itx ? I can't but M2 is still there.

well...I like the modern back panel, with the lack of relics like VGA and PS2. And it's got a sufficient number of USB ports without going overboard, including both USB 3.1 A and C.

Don't know about that ExtremeFX. Isn't it just a decked-out ALC1150? The AsRock has that anyway, along with the digital power and longlife caps.

I think I'm still into the AsRock.

Don't know about that ExtremeFX. Isn't it just a decked-out ALC1150?

Basically yes, but it also contains features like a headphone-amp, quality audio components (whatever that means, I'm not an audiophile), shielding and additional software features. If you are just a using an "average" 80 bucks gamer headset, you probably won't gain much from SupremeFX and could go for a "naked" Realtek-chip instead. If you are semi-enthusiast who wants to plug a high-impedance quality headset, you at least want the headphone amp (if you don't want to use an external amp). And the additional at least makes me feel a bit better. There's nothing worde in the world than having interference on your headphones. Of course an external amp circumvents that problem (but I don't want build an SFF just to then have something else consume space on my table).

Last edited:
Can you see holes on the ASrock Z170 Gaming itx?
Yes. There could conceivably be a standoiff under the M8I's heatsink, but that would limit m.2 length to 2260 cards (not 2280). If the screwholes were under the audio riser card (with the m.2 card facing the 'wrong' way), then the m.2 card would likely impinge on the CPU backplate keepout area. Asus might be willing to technically be out of spec to squeeze it in though.

The BIOS does list actual Thunderbolt support, which is interesting. It would be a real pain to have the Asus M8I with Thunderbolt but no m.2, and the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 with m.2 but no Thunderbolt!

I personally expect ASUS to release or include an adapter for U.2 to M.2 So that you can use M.2 like this. I dont think there will be no way to use M.2 cards but we will see. Just a bit more patience and we will know :p

But Thunderbold support is a pleasent surprise. I really didnt expect to see thunderbold compatibility with this cycle of motherboards at all.

A U.2 to M.2 adapter seems the logical solution, otherwise what current devices can one use with that U.2 slot besides just the Intel 750?

However, adapter or not, the position of that U.2 will probably make using it a bit awkward; if the drive cage is placed towards the other side of the board, the cable will have to go across the board (imagine a large blow down CPU heatsink blocking your work space)

I really can't approve of the current crop of gaming boards with the M.2 on the back. I think most (if not all) reviews of the XP941/SM951, probably the most notable devices that go into that slot right now, has indicated that they get very hot. Stashing the M.2 into a dusty corner like the motherboard backside just feels like careless design.

Why only six USB ports on the back panel though...

I really can't approve of the current crop of gaming boards with the M.2 on the back. I think most (if not all) reviews of the XP941/SM951, probably the most notable devices that go into that slot right now, has indicated that they get very hot. Stashing the M.2 into a dusty corner like the motherboard backside just feels like careless design.

I agree. After two or three ASRock models with mSATA ports on the underside, I am over that design. Such a PITA to service the drive and they do get pretty hot under there.

They get very hot when running benchmarks, maxing their capacity for long periods of time which is unrealistic. It's like FurMark for GPUs: not useful to base conclusions on.

And it won't die of heat, it will just throttle the throughput. Again just like GPUs benched with FurMark.

They get very hot when running benchmarks, maxing their capacity for long periods of time which is unrealistic. It's like FurMark for GPUs: not useful to base conclusions on.

And it won't die of heat, it will just throttle the throughput. Again just like GPUs benched with FurMark.
+1
My 951 doesn't get any hotter than mid 40s under normal usage on the back of my gigabyte board. (And there are no holes etc back there in the FT03 mini) Even running the torture tests it didn't get hot enough to throttle. If you're using it as an OS drive I don't think temps should be of concern unless there is extra heat back there because of the case design.

Edit:: already posted but here is the screenshot. Ran ATTO 4x back to back and hit 69 max
minissdtemp.jpg

Would be happy to run another test using whatever if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
I don't personally own one yet to verify anything, but I saw at least one review which claimed that a simple file copy can cause temperature raise on both the XP941/SM951:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Product-Review-Samsung-SM951-M-2-Drive-703/

The video shows that just a few GBs into the file copy raises the temperature significantly, and tops at around 100C.
(OTOH, it already indicates around 75C at the starting of the copy test, kind of hard to determine if that initial state is normal)

Of course, I can imagine that for many usage patterns, yeah, heat probably would not in general be a big issue. Still, for a device that holds your precious data, I would prefer to be more careful. Having situations where an electronic device can heat up that much, even if it throttles down, doesn't sound good for its longevity. Some form of cooling would be desirable.

I personally expect ASUS to release or include an adapter for U.2 to M.2 So that you can use M.2 like this. I dont think there will be no way to use M.2 cards but we will see. Just a bit more patience and we will know :p

They better do something magical with that adapter then, because if it still means a long ass cable to route from the back of the board, it won't be too popular. I guess.

I don't personally own one yet to verify anything, but I saw at least one review which claimed that a simple file copy can cause temperature raise on both the XP941/SM951:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Product-Review-Samsung-SM951-M-2-Drive-703/

The video shows that just a few GBs into the file copy raises the temperature significantly, and tops at around 100C.
(OTOH, it already indicates around 75C at the starting of the copy test, kind of hard to determine if that initial state is normal)

Of course, I can imagine that for many usage patterns, yeah, heat probably would not in general be a big issue. Still, for a device that holds your precious data, I would prefer to be more careful. Having situations where an electronic device can heat up that much, even if it throttles down, doesn't sound good for its longevity. Some form of cooling would be desirable.

Interesting, I can try a large file copy just to see what mine looks like. I have copied/downloaded a few multi gigabyte files but was not paying attention to temps at the time. I would think you would have to have another drive just as fast to keep it pegged out to get that hot. I'll agree It's not the most ideal situation but from my experience it has been a non issue thus far. With the form factor we are dealing with there is always going to be some give/take, I'd much rather have it in the back than not at all. The non accessible issue is understandable if you're the type that's always tinkering but it's kind of an install / forget about it type of item to me.

EDIT: I made a stack of 3dmark copies and zipped them up. I sent the 19 gig file back and forth between drives a few times and didn't break into the 60s. I then made the 57 gig file, sent it from the 850 to the 951, and then immediately copied it into the same folder. I hit 72 max during that but again that is beyond normal use and the drive was in the 60s already from the initial copy.

minissdtemp2.jpg

Last edited:
A few people tried asking JJ about the Maximus VIII Impact on his podcast. He was tight lipped and kept saying more details will be announced at the ROG Unleashed event.We will just have to wait till Friday.

I'm sure he'd love to, but the NDA is in effect until that date - which appears to be tomorrow.

Mods have deleted information posted on the ROG boards as well, which shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone.

Looks like Asrock Gaming Itx is still the best board for me on the market. I think I'll just pull the trigger if Asus doesn't reveal something amazing about the board tomorrow.

I believe it was 4 PM today "California time" that the NDA is lifted. I am guessing Asus will try to focus the message on:

- USB Type C with Thunderbolt
- Fancy Audio
- U2 port as a first on mini-itx

but... no M.2, unless "surprises".

Back