SK hynix Begins Mass Production of Industry's Highest 238-Layer 4D NAND

erek

[H]F Junkie
4-D, Nice

“Once the product compatibility test with the global smartphone manufacturer is completed, SK hynix will begin supplying the 238-layer NAND product for smartphones, and expand the technology across its product portfolio such as PCIe 5.0 SSDs and high-capacity server SSDs going forward.

"We will continue to overcome NAND technology limitations and increase our competitiveness so that we can achieve a bigger turnaround than anyone else during the upcoming market rebound," said Jumsoo Kim, Head of S238 NAND at SK hynix.”

1686199810272.png

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/309764/...uction-of-industrys-highest-238-layer-4d-nand

So I am curious about TBW ratings here. And what does 4-D mean in this scenario? Are we to assume it just means another layer stacked on top of "3D" NANDs?

So I am curious about TBW ratings here. And what does 4-D mean in this scenario? Are we to assume it just means another layer stacked on top of "3D" NANDs?
It is a bold statement, implying their new SSD's somehow manipulate time itself.......maybe it auto deletes your data periodically, aka: Time Traveling back to the past when the SSD was new and empty.....<shrug>.....

Down in the comments of hte linked article it's explained, and, honestly, it's kind of marketing BS.

Normally the peripherals--I assume this means access logic, row-selection stuff and the like--sit next to the stack of RAM cells. In 4-D NAND, they stack the cells on top of the peripherals to save area. Theis example compares a parking lot next to an office tower versus the lot built under the tower and they claim a 30% savings in area.

Down in the comments of hte linked article it's explained, and, honestly, it's kind of marketing BS.

Normally the peripherals--I assume this means access logic, row-selection stuff and the like--sit next to the stack of RAM cells. In 4-D NAND, they stack the cells on top of the peripherals to save area. Theis example compares a parking lot next to an office tower versus the lot built under the tower and they claim a 30% savings in area.
So another wonderful marketing term divorced from reality, another recent example I can think of is Comcast 10G, which will max out at 8Gb download speeds.

Back