Sins of a Solar Empire - how is it?

Aside from Star Trek Elite Force II I've never had so much trouble trying to get a hold of a copy of any game. Everyplace I've tried since the game launched has been sold out after receiving a couple or they never received any copies to begin with. My order with amazon.ca has been forever stuck at 2-3 weeks availability for nearly the last month. Ordering from Stardock costs $20 to ship to Canada after being $10 more than the retail copy so thats not really very appealing and digital distribution isn't an option on dialup. :(

So does anyone know if multiplayer is playable on dialup?

try www.gogamer.com

Advent are certainly my favorite, but mostly due to concept, rather than any balancing problems. I did notice that I tend more and more to build insane amounts of beam platforms and rush through the beam section of the research tree rather than worrying about defense hangers now, though.

Advent winning strategy
1 battleship
x carriers
x guardians with repel ability.

the carriers have the best fighters or bombers of any race, simply because they have so many.. i think up to 12 per squadron. (upgrade second ability)

whenever enemy ships come too close, just repel them with the guardian, and let the fighters/bombers take them out.
there are counters to this, but not many.
keep your ships grouped together.

Culture can be a bitch.

Only got the game last friday but have been playing a 3v3 FFA and about to unleash my fleet and then got my ass kicked for neglecting culture. Was losing my 2% allegiance per minute at my capital. lol

Culture can be a bitch.

Only got the game last friday but have been playing a 3v3 FFA and about to unleash my fleet and then got my ass kicked for neglecting culture. Was losing my 2% allegiance per minute at my capital. lol
Wouldn't a 3v3 be a team game?

Same thing happened to me. I was about to drop my fleet into attack mode, then my border planet gets taken out by culture.

Why don't you guys use multiple fleets instead of just one fleet? The last game I played was a FFA with myself and 2 AI, and I slaughtered them both. I divided into 3 fleets, 2 for defense, 1 for offense.

Why don't you guys use multiple fleets instead of just one fleet? The last game I played was a FFA with myself and 2 AI, and I slaughtered them both. I divided into 3 fleets, 2 for defense, 1 for offense.

Depends on the how the choke points imo.

It depends on the map really. I usually divide my forces but in this instance, I didn't need to.

What's a good fleet composition to counter frigate spam by AI? Last game I played, advent AI just kept spamming me with cap ships/disciple vessels. I'd take out the cap ships but then AI runs away with the rest of the fleet.

played a few 1v1 games to get into it and lost big time until i figured out wtf was going on.

played 1v1 and finally won after a few hours. will try out a bigger map now. the game is kind of repetitive and just seems to be a type of tug of war between planets. The game is really quite simple, but it sure does take a long time to play!

on the topic of upkeep.

it is a bit unfair. as discussed.
warcraft 3 does it better.
it reduces the upkeep as your army gets smaller.
it should be the same.
the research should allow you to field that many, but the upkeep hits you only if you have that many.

on the topic of upkeep.

it should be the same.
the research should allow you to field that many, but the upkeep hits you only if you have that many.

Agreed; it should be easier to recover from losses if you start with a large force, not more difficult. Seems backwards.

on the topic of upkeep.

it should be the same.

In warcraft III (standard maps), you have pretty limited resources, especially gold.
High upkeep forces you to burn through your resources with little benifit.
With the infinite resources in Sins, upkeep based only on current fleet size vastly diminished the penalty for upkeep.

I like that there is a lasting penalty for expanding your fleet, it makes it much harder to spam ships early on and expanding your fleet much more meaningful.

Hello,
This may have been answered, but, is there a demo out there i could try to see if it runs on my computer and how i like it before i buy it?

Ok so I am thinking about buying this, but the lack of a campaign is really throwing me for a loop. Are there user created campaigns/mods with plot and some progression?

Hello,
This may have been answered, but, is there a demo out there i could try to see if it runs on my computer and how i like it before i buy it?

I run it maxed on my laptop in my sig at 1680x1050 res if that is any indication for you. AS far as enjoyment goes, I bought the game based on other forum members reviews esp. since the last RTS game I played was Company of Heroes and have enjoyed the hell out of it. I bought it and COD4 the same day and didn't touch COD4 (even for install) for over a week because of how much fun it is.

A friend just told me about this game a few weeks ago, but i really havne't had a chance to play it for very long. Awesome RTS in my opinion!

Actually, I'm going to go play some now.

I bought the Sins collector's edition when it was first released, and haven't played it yet because the beta of the expansion for GalCiv II has taken over my (gaming) life :p

Finally managed to get a hold of a copy, patched and... my g5's scroll wheel doesn't zoom leaving me with the keyboard as the only way to zoom but it works fine in others games. :confused: Not using logitech's crappy drivers and I use synergy to share my keyboard/mouse with the windows box as client and my mac as the server.

I've also noticed the camera rotation sensitivity seems a bit out of whack and I don't see anywhere to change it. Pretty much spins the camera around 5 times for moving about 1mm. :(

Finally managed to get a hold of a copy, patched and... my g5's scroll wheel doesn't zoom leaving me with the keyboard as the only way to zoom but it works fine in others games. :confused: Not using logitech's crappy drivers and I use synergy to share my keyboard/mouse with the windows box as client and my mac as the server.

I've also noticed the camera rotation sensitivity seems a bit out of whack and I don't see anywhere to change it. Pretty much spins the camera around 5 times for moving about 1mm. :(

All of those symptoms are known issues when using synergy on the client computer.

Ankle I think if you hold crl or shift and then do it, it slows down....maybe.....

All of those symptoms are known issues when using synergy on the client computer.

Specifically with Sins? Because I've never seen this problem in any other games with synergy before. Using the windows box as a server isn't an option either as OS X won't let you change sensitivity or acceleration unless it sees a device physically connected via USB. :(

Ankle I think if you hold crl or shift and then do it, it slows down....maybe.....

If it is, it isn't slowing down much.

Tried directly connecting the mouse to the client and it works fine but digging around my cable management under the desk to switch inputs all the time isn't really a viable solution. I use synergy to avoid just that.

Any news on a demo yet? I want to try out this game before i buy it as well to make sure it works on my computer. Just didn't know if any rumors were floating around since there main page (of the game) does not say of any demo yet.

Want to play a demo myself. A lot of reviews are saying this game is extremely difficult and can last days and days to complete one "level" or whatever.

I like it but think that the scale is TOO big. also, if you end up playing it online (which you should because THERE IS NO SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN!!!), be prepared for 4+ hour games

I like it but think that the scale is TOO big. also, if you end up playing it online (which you should because THERE IS NO SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN!!!), be prepared for 4+ hour games
You can make the scale as large or as small as you want. It's not difficult to set up a 2 player game with 10 planets or less that should take no more than 1-2 hours. Hell, I played a 2v2 online that only took about 2.5 hours. I highly recommend cranking up the speed settings once you're familiar with the game, it helps things along quite a bit.

Also, the single player campaign is thought to be part of an upcoming expansion. The lack of one along with the demo gave the developers more time for spit and polish, which really shows.

Want to play a demo myself. A lot of reviews are saying this game is extremely difficult and can last days and days to complete one "level" or whatever.

It actually isn't that difficult once you get used to the system, a game generally only takes about 5-6 hours for me, is just all about exploring and getting your economy up and then pump out your fleet.

It actually isn't that difficult once you get used to the system, a game generally only takes about 5-6 hours for me, is just all about exploring and getting your economy up and then pump out your fleet.

Online or single player? Most people don't buy an RTS for the single player; online is where it's at.

This looks like it might be a good game, I'll pick it up.
Seems like Eve online and Home world mixed together. I love both of those games so this works for me.
I have always loved big space sims, I'll give this a chance.

This sounds great. Another game to grab this summer when I get my PC. Quite a few titles I'll be picking up!

Back