Single Socket Naples?

Teenyman45

2[H]4U
What are the odds that AMD will release a single socket Naples with an unlocked multiplier? Intel tends to release single socket Xeons.

Having Zen cores with more memory channels and HEDT beating PCIe lanes would be a real winner. If it could be clocked to near 4GHz I could seen charging in line with 6900 or 6950x and still being a real winner.

That would be good and make AMD money, which they definitely need more of.

Yep I need min 192 Gigs of RAM before I'd even consider migrating off the Xeons. A 16/32 with 256Gigs and 32 lanes of PCIe would suit me just dandy. Low core speeds are fine.

What are the odds that AMD will release a single socket Naples with an unlocked multiplier? Intel tends to release single socket Xeons.

Having Zen cores with more memory channels and HEDT beating PCIe lanes would be a real winner. If it could be clocked to near 4GHz I could seen charging in line with 6900 or 6950x and still being a real winner.

Snowy Owl is single socket, up to 16-cores and quad-channel DDR4.

My video rendering rigs are both 12 core / 24 thread machines (one is dual hexa-core the other is a single 12 core). I could live with a 16 core / 32 thread machine quite nicely, yes I could. (y)

Has anything come out about the Snowy Owl APU since September-ish of last year? I want decent clock speed AND PCIe lanes.

Has anything come out about the Snowy Owl APU since September-ish of last year? I want decent clock speed AND PCIe lanes.

Haven't' heard much, they may push that market segment out to Gray Hawk territory and skip it. I think AMD just puts stuff into their plans in a shotgun approach sometimes but it when it comes to allocating resources we know they're going to put them into what's hot at the moment.

Naples is coming in both single and dual socket machines this year, no word on overclocking and I seriously doubt it will happen but as for PCIe lanes there will be 128 available

I highly doubt overclocking will be available for Naples, as for server chips stability is paramount. However, i do hope to see some Naples 1 socket setups.

Overclocking of server CPU's has never been supported by the manufacturers, however it has been done in the past, The SR-2 and SR-X/Z9-PE D8WS both supported overclocking on westmere and Sandy/ivy bridge, now I know that sandy/ivy didn't overclock much due to the bus speed but the option was there. AMD wise all 61xx opterons were able to be overclocked via a BIOS mod. Not sure about the newer chips on either side as my usage scenario disappeared around the time haswell was released.

I highly doubt overclocking will be available for Naples, as for server chips stability is paramount. However, i do hope to see some Naples 1 socket setups.

I don't care about using it for a server. I want lots of lanes for dual graphic cards and .M2 drives in RAID0 along with some extra cores for cutting down on computer opponent turn processing time in 4X and turn based strategy games.

Think more like an HEDT version of Ryzen.

I don't care about using it for a server. I want lots of lanes for dual graphic cards and .M2 drives in RAID0 along with some extra cores for cutting down on computer opponent turn processing time in 4X and turn based strategy games.

Think more like an HEDT version of Ryzen.

There is a rumor about Snowy Owl being rebranded for HEDT use like a new platform: X399

The odds are about 0. And 4 Ghz with 4 Zeppelin dies? That's like 600W+ of heat there from a single package.

It will likely be able to do 3.4 or 3.5 across all cores if they have it unlocked. Around 3.7 it starts requiring quite a bit more voltage so that would be my expectation based on what my 1700x does.

Back